381     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 685     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 441     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
No protests planned, as yet, at NPS? I don't get it.

I also don't get people who write into the newspapers and say that Ford is an elected official and should be respected as such; for heaven's sake, the governance of this city is being sideswiped with this stuff. Councillors dealing with this are supposed to be spending their time on other issues -- this is worse than a waste of time.

The terms 'laughing stock' and 'embarassment' don't fit the situation. The mayor and his brother are acting in the utmost irresponsible way. And calling journalist "maggots", well, even if they're playing to Etobicoke, that just doesn't cut it.

From the Crackstarter page:

At this point I have assumed I am donating to charity with the possibility that it might help the video be released. If the video supplier(s) had reason to fear for their life, it doesn't surprise me that they are laying so low. Getting the money into Gawker's hands is the only way that this has the possibility of taking a step forward - who knows, maybe the fact that the video owner(s) have gone missing will become the real story. If Gawker isn't chasing the tape, we may never find out what happened with them.

If you set a password on your backup, whatever you sync to your phone is encrypted and unreadable without the password. So syncing to your computer might not be as crazy as you think.

Perhaps I've watched too much of The Wire and CSI, but I would never want to leave sensitive data out of my physical possession, even if it is encrypted. On a laptop, even with encrypted data, I'd be worried about keyloggers (or even the low tech approach of a hidden camera pointed at the keyboard) to snag my password. By contrast, encryption on the iPhone itself seems nearly impossible to crack. For sensitive information, where I'm concerned police or others might be surveilling me, I'd want to keep physical access to it, and definitely not leave any electronic traces out of my control. That's why I wouldn't send files via email, or even over cloud storage, and I wouldn't want to leave anything on a computer out of my physical control.

Then again, if I were a smart drug dealer, I probably wouldn't be using a smartphone with GPS, as I have seen The Wire, and know the importance of using burner dumbphones.

The line in Ford's lawyer's e-mail that has always haunted me is this one:

If the person you mention is now deceased,it is sad,regardless of his alleged background.

When I read that, my first thought was "Whoa, easy there, counsel. Nobody was linking the dealer's death to anything, except you." It reminded me of the extortionists line: "That's a nice _______ you've got there. Be a shame if something happened to it."

Then again, if I were a smart drug dealer, I probably wouldn't be using a smartphone with GPS, as I have seen The Wire, and know the importance of using burner dumbphones.

Remember Paulie from Goodfellas? He never used the phone. He had go-betweens to relay all messages.

But these whippersnapper drug dealers today, they can't live without their phones. It's like they're addicted!

Now get off my lawn.

Based on the G&M article:

The informant in the mayor’s office purported to know the address and unit number where the video was being held.

So said media allegedly did exist and the Fords may have compromised a homicide investigation.......

The informant in the mayor’s office purported to know the address and unit number where the video was being held.

So said media allegedly did exist and the Fords may have compromised a homicide investigation.......

Pure speculation, but the timing makes me wonder if Towhey may have been the tipster (and been fired as a result).

You're absolutely right - I hadn't even considered this angle. If there's evidence to show that the Fords were even having a discussion about the whereabouts of the video, they would be acknowledging its existence and their most recent statements that it "doesn't exist" would either be lies, or a demonstration that they are aware that it is now gone. Methinks that would warrant a police interview.

The infamous "hotmail lawyer's" e-mail, quoted at the bottom of the initial Gawker story: http://gawker.com/for-sale-a-video-of-toronto-mayor-rob-ford-smoking-cra-507736569

Right! I forgot about this. Eerie indeed.

We're now over $186,000... I think a $10K topup will be a no-brainer for gawker. if we hit $190K by 10pm or so

Pure speculation, but the timing makes me wonder if Towhey may have been the tipster (and been fired as a result).

If it was him, do you think it was before or after he was fired though? Personally, after would have made more sense. "Spiteful that the mayor fired him, he went and talked to the media" seems more plausible to me than "was fired because he leaked to the media".

If he spoke a day or so after he was fired, his information would have still been very current.

I get the impression that the Fords believe that professional political operatives will do *anything* they're told. Towhey, for all his faults, probably got asked to do one too many things he wasn't comfortable doing (same for Batra). Perhaps Towhey came to understand that Ford's office had knowledge of the tape and calling the Star liars was a bridge too far, even for him.

I hope the Fords haven't gotten to MetroMan too :(

No I'm here :)

Crackstarter has gone on fire since this morning! It's doing $1,000 an hour now. With 16hrs to go and $13K left, it seems that this is going to happen. Robyn Doolittle is saying that there's more than one copy of the video and Kevin Donovan confirms that The Star is trying to acquire the video. Not sure that means that they're now willing to pay for it. Their credibility is at stake here so even an offer of $100K could be enough and it'll be a worthy investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back