207     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 861     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 546     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the strings are being pulled more by behind-the-scenes types (Towhey and, for a little while longer, Kouvalis), but you're right that the strategy has been to send Doug out as the attack dog while limiting Rob's public exposure. The mayor's been almost invisible for the past few weeks.

He did give an interview to the York University student newspaper, though: http://www.excal.on.ca/news/north-of-toronto-south-of-york-still-in-ford-country/

I'm wondering more and more if Rob has a public speaking phobia. It would explain an awful lot, why so much is delegated to Doug, why his media appearances have always been so awkward, and why he's known mostly for his outbursts - when his anger overrides his fear. Hell, it even explains why Don Cherry made the inaugural speech.

I'm not convinced that somebody is pulling the strings. Things have been too erratic for there to be a mystery puppetmaster; I do get the impression that they're trying to go with Rob's instincts, at least for now. Perhaps that's why Kouvalis got shuffled out, he was trying to control things. The last few months indicate somebody is climbing a hell of a learning curve, I doubt it would be so obvious if there was a savvy coordinator hiding in the sidelines. What's happened so far indicates ignorance, not malevolence, though Doug's sabre-rattling tends to the latter.

Last edited:
Not so much so public speaking phobia than the possiblity of saying the wrong things and messing things up - and I wouldn't be surprised if Doug F turns out to be the "power behind the throne" at all, which of course raises the issue of legitimacy, undue influence, etc.

AoD

Maybe it's because I didn't spend my university days in Toronto so I don't really know the Cineforum, but isn't it entirely rational that a dude should have some kind of permit to be operating a ticketing movie theatre out of his house?

Maybe it's because I didn't spend my university days in Toronto so I don't really know the Cineforum, but isn't it entirely rational that a dude should have some kind of permit to be operating a ticketing movie theatre out of his house?
He's the guy that plastered his photocopied posters all over the city's downtown.

I never did bother going to one of those shows, but I had no idea it was an illegal theatre. I'm not surprised they shut him down then.

They shut him down but then he complained to Ford and Ford had them close the file and allow him to continue to operate. Now the dude's comparing Ford to Jane Jacobs. It's all a bit disconcerting.

They shut him down but then he complained to Ford and Ford had them close the file and allow him to continue to operate. Now the dude's comparing Ford to Jane Jacobs. It's all a bit disconcerting.
Yeah, I know.

P.S. If you read his site, he sounds bonkers.

I count a couple of evenings at Regg's place among the most formative experiences of my early 20s. I do find this Hartt-Ford romance a bit confusing, but it's nice to get some blurry nuance for a change, instead of the almost comically black-and-white pinkos vs. barbarians vibe of recent months.

I'm glad this happened. It would have been a shame to shut Regg down over some pedantic bylaw. At the same time, how does he maintain his legendary underground cred now that he's operating under the protection of the mayor himself, indeed one understood to be reactionary and quite a bit of a philistine...

I'm glad this happened. It would have been a shame to shut Regg down over some pedantic bylaw. At the same time, how does he maintain his legendary underground cred now that he's operating under the protection of the mayor himself, indeed one understood to be reactionary and quite a bit of a philistine...

It's probably a bit of a Frank Zappa/Howard Stern libertarian streak binding them together. (Adam Vaughan would = Tipper Gore, I suppose.)

Hartt is a little bonkers, but in a good, cool kind of way. Cineforum (Hartt's living room) is a trip, everyone into film should check it out just once and witness Hartt's passionate, meandering sermons on the subject of the evening. He's brilliant, wonderfully entertaining in a kind of loopy way but possesses great knowledge about what he speaks on to mention nothing of the importance of his film collection that he has amassed. He plays everything from "Oz Darkside", "The Sex & Violence Cartoon Festival" to "Nosferatu".
Serious props. to Ford or whoever in his office that sorted out the issues with Hartt's Cineforum. They earned a big one today in my mind for helping the "little guy" save the passion of a true Toronto icon.

Last edited:
I have not posted any comments for the longest time, and that is quite intentional. It has been my desire to assess the Ford bros. a while before writing much, after their victory.

Initial impressions were very accurate. They desperately want an NFL franchise for the city. That is telling; it's like we're not a city if there are no American-style tailgate parties going on. And they would happily rid themselves of transit responsibilities. Is that not telling, in a horrid way?

These guys have no concept of city-building. That subway thing of theirs was a wedge issue that they successfully played, and indeed they are actually clever politicians -- they played pure politics.

Yet, if they were to get an intense subway expansion underway, then .. then I just may have a use for them, but that would be a bit surprising. (Oh, while I am here, yes, the suburbs need subways, and they need them now. And we need the DRL).

Last edited:
Do you remember this infamous quote about streets are for cars?:

[video=youtube;nySs1cEq5rs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nySs1cEq5rs[/video]

In answer, here is an article from streetsblog.net at this link:

How Cars Won the Early Battle for the Streets

by Angie Schmitt on February 1, 2011

Judging by the recent media backlash against a few bike lanes in New York City, you would think that roads have been the exclusive domain of cars since time immemorial.

Not so, as Peter D. Norton recounts in his book, “Fighting Traffic — The Dawn of the Motor Age in the American City.†When cars first entered cities in a big way in the early 20th Century, a lot of people were not happy about it — like angry-mob not happy.

People were shocked by the carnage that resulted from motor vehicle crashes and outraged by new restrictions imposed on pedestrians. Newspapers of the time overwhelmingly sided against drivers, Norton writes.

In an overview of Norton’s book, Copenhagenize illustrates the volatility of street politics at this turning point in the history of American cities. In the early 1900s, before the arrival of cars, people viewed streets much as they had for thousands of years:

It was a space for people. A place to walk, a place to play, a place to alight from a streetcar. Cars were regarded as violent intruders in this common space.

Norton highlights in the first part the massive public uprising against the automobile. The carnage caused by cars and trucks was enormous. “In the first four years after Armistice Day more Americans were killed in automobile accidents than had died in battle in France. This fact was widely publicized and the news was greeted with shock.†It says a lot about the victory of Motordom in changing the mindset that the current annual toll of 40,000 deaths in the US – not to mention the injured – doesn’t even register in the public consciousness​

Here’s more, directly from Norton…

“…before the mid 1920’s, cities were not at fault for failing to provide safe accommodation for motorists. To frightened parents and pedestrians the problem was far simpler: they blamed automobiles and their drivers, regardless of the circumstances. City people were angry. Their anger is shown in mob attacks on reckless motorists, and in newspapers that played up automobile accident stories when the victim was easy to represent as innocent (a child, a young woman, an old person), the victim of an unambiguous ‘villain’ (the motorist (…) the ’speed maniac’, the fleeing criminal, the drunk).â€​

A clever and concerted marketing campaign by auto interests emerged in the 1930s and helped paint pedestrians as bumbling and accident prone, inventing, for instance, the concept of jaywalking. Auto interests also hit upon a winning strategy by portraying resistance to automobiles as “old-fashioned†and “anti-progress,†according to Norton. The rest is history.

Elsewhere on the Network today: The Infrastructurist ponders the possibility of a vehicle mileage tax, a topic that has been coming up more frequently in states discussing how to fund infrastructure. The Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia reports that one car company is experimenting with retractable doors, which could reduce the threat of dooring to cyclists. And Mobilizing the Region reports on some members of the House GOP who support high-speed rail investment under certain conditions.

Developers are buzzing with optimism

Rob Ford built his runaway campaign on a foundation of three simple promises: He would end the waste at city hall. He would stop nickel and diming taxpayers. And he would usher in a culture of customer service.

His message resonated with Torontonians, who in record numbers elected the frugal Etobicoke councillor as the city's 64th mayor.

But voters weren't the only ones paying attention to those key platform planks.

With a business-minded mayor running city hall, GTA developers are buzzing with optimism about the next four years. Although, as many developers are quick to point out, it's cautious optimism.

It is still unclear where the Ford administration stands on many of the issues. Despite a 10-month mayoral campaign, which included as many as 75 debates, candidates were asked very little about their development policies.

Sarah Thomson's promise to create a concierge service for developers, which would shepherd builders through the lengthy approvals process, was one of the only industry-related pledges made by a mayoral candidate.

Although he offered few specifics, Ford's campaign rhetoric struck a sympathetic tone towards builders. Ford said Section 37 fees, which allows the city to be flexible with height and density requirements in exchange for community benefits, were tantamount to “extortion.â€

More.....http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/newsfe.../932715--developers-are-buzzing-with-optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back