1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 456     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I propose we end this thread Thursday noon? And if necessary start up Doug Ford's Toronto? Like a bad dream I want Rob to be forgotten.

A UT member not being able to comment in the Rob Ford thread in the future? Oh my God! Then they will have nothing else to talk about on this site.

A UT member not being able to comment in the Rob Ford thread in the future? Oh my God! Then they will have nothing else to talk about on this site.
What is your problem? You seem to only show up to wag your finger at people and add nothing to the conversation. You do realize that most of us found this site because we were looking to talk about Ford, right?

Read Towhey's book if you want a view inside. Hopefull it's improved since.

Actually, having fleetingly looked inside the living room window from the street, judging from the lighting fixtures I'm wondering if we've got a 50s/60s-suburban-modern "preservation by neglect" situation here. (And the Fords *are* the sort who'd have bought the home "as is" and been too cracked-out to do anything with the existing interior ever since.)

Oh, and re Towhey's book, revisiting his statement that Ford's grimy old joint stands out on a street buisily rebuilding and McMansioning: actually, my latest examination confirms that virtually *everything* more or less original at the E end of Edenbridge up to a block or so beyond Ford seems intact or only modestly reno'd/rebuilt/upgraded. It's only beyond that--the North Drive/James Gardens/Edgehill/Valecrest zone--that the McMansions and "luxury rebuilds" go rampant.

Ah, Towhey the Tall Tale Teller strikes again.

The 5000 plus friends on FB tells me that she isn't too choosy and probably doesn't have a clue how it works. I bet she okays friend requests without even screening the person. I use FB for my news fix too, and I use it to play games with my friends and relatives. Renata on the other hand uses it to waste time without ever actually learning or doing anything. Up thread someone mentioned relief grief, I think that's what Renata is going through.

I actually *don't* use FB for games or a "formal" news fix (as opposed to a barometer-archipelago of friends' shared links), either. It serves as more of a "Jane Jacobs urban environment" for me.

But I can sense a gist of the "Renata vs Rob" dynamic here, i.e. Renata being the more "active" supporter of kooky causes like anti-fluoridation due to "what she's read", whereas Rob himself would be too dumb to know what fluoridation was until someone reminds him that "it's an issue". Someone like Renata, for that matter--yeah, in her Nancy Reagan-esque way, she might have been more of an influence on her husband than she's given credit for. A pillow-talking "folks".

Well, this thread is going seriously sideways. In the old days that meant a new drunken outburst was just around the corner. Now, it means time to go outside and enjoy the weekend.

Actually, it's an interesting kind of "sideways". Remember that all along, this thread's been a pipeline and spot of reflection for a lot of broader social and sociological changes--through FoFam and Ford Nation, we got a sneak peek and advance insight into a lot of the blue-collar/middle-America-in-decline talking points that've defined Trump Nation discussion. We had a preview window into dystopian sickness.

And now, we have Facebook Renata further fleshing out the scenario.

This ain't gonna end anytime soon folks. It'll keep being worth following, and following, and following.

Oh, and to revisit this

The 5000 plus friends on FB tells me that she isn't too choosy and probably doesn't have a clue how it works. I bet she okays friend requests without even screening the person.

Thinking further, this may also reflect how she's *always* used the Interweb. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a subtext to RoFo dispatching his staff to fix the family computer; i.e. there was probably so much in the way of easily avoidable viruses and malware and inadequate/obsolete protection, it wasn't funny...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back