809     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 504     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was annoyed at Tory but I can see how he's stuck. If he had said no, Doug would have been blabbing to the entire media about how mean Tory was. It would have been nuts.

The Fords put Tory in a horrible position. If he had said no to their request, he would have appeared to be cold and if he agreed, people like us would be furious. The Fords should never have asked, but as we know, they have zero class.

After Layton spent a couple days at City Hall (Rob approved it?) it really opened the gates to anybody. Layton was a former councillor, not even a former mayor, who was currently an MPP; very popular but not a particularly notable position for Toronto. For better or worse, Rob was nearly as popular as Layton (at peak) within the GTA and was a former mayor and current councillor.

Last edited:
After Layton spent a couple days at City Hall (Rob approved it I guess?) it really opened the gates to anybody. Layton was a former councillor, not even a former mayor, who was currently an MPP; very popular but not a particularly notable position for Toronto. For better or worse, Rob was nearly as popular as Layton (at peak) within the GTA and was a former mayor and current councillor.
Layton was the sitting Leader of the Opposition. That position is roughly equivalent to a cabinet minister in seniority and that's how he was treated (e.g., sitting cabinet ministers get a state funeral, so now the opp leader gets one too).

Rob was a sitting councillor and a former mayor. Would be odd for either of those positions to not be afforded a public viewing at city Hall if requested.

After Layton spent a couple days at City Hall (Rob approved it?) it really opened the gates to anybody. Layton was a former councillor, not even a former mayor, who was currently an MPP; very popular but not a particularly notable position for Toronto. For better or worse, Rob was nearly as popular as Layton (at peak) within the GTA and was a former mayor and current councillor.

Apples and oranges.

Layton was the sitting Leader of the Opposition. That position is roughly equivalent to a cabinet minister in seniority and that's how he was treated (e.g., sitting cabinet ministers get a state funeral, so now the opp leader gets one too).

Rob was a sitting councillor and a former mayor. Would be odd for either of those positions to not be afforded a public viewing at city Hall if requested.

I think it's goofy to want a public funeral, but if there's precedent (Casita's examples, Layton), why not? And why be bothered? He's gone, and his influence has been zero since he started to get sicker. Another week and he disappears, even from CP24.

The thing is, even better than not making a spectacle at all is allowing for a laughably failed attempt at spectacle. No better way to turn off the whole city than to allow full exposure of Doug's self-aggrandizing asshole personality.

Yeah, I don't really think this damages Tory at all. Just let it go ahead, maybe mitigate some of the more macabre details (i.e. closed rather than open casket), it's over and done with, move on. And if it turns out to be the Star Wars Holiday Special of funerals, it's clearly the Fords to blame, not the disinterested-third-party City. *They're* the one's earning the horselaughs, and that's their problem.

He's a disgraced former mayor. The proof of that is when they took away his powers in November 2013.

“If Ford were an employee, he’d have been fired for cause by now,” the professor told me later.
“This is really a point I want my students to grasp – we hold politicians to a much lower standard of accountability for their conduct than we do a Wal-Mart cashier or McDonald’s burger flipper.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...were-a-regular-city-employee/article15413421/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back