491     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.9K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 651     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
A track suit would warrant a mention if worn at a Morton's.

i'm not disputing the dress code, but, for what it's worth, it appears you can eat for less at the morton's in west palm...
Handsome, clubby, corporate, and very expensive, Morton's ranks as one of the best steak-house chains in the nation. USDA-prime meat-eors include the double-cut, 14-ounce filet mignon, the 20-ounce New York strip sirloin, and the 24-ounce porterhouse. Order the chocolate soufflé for dessert at the start of the meal to ensure a sweet ending. But even cheapskates can get a taste of the good life: Morton's "Power Hour" in its ritzy Bar 12-21 is one of the best dinner deals around. Every day from 5 to 6:30 p.m. and then again from 9 p.m. until they close at 11, order any plate from an extensive bar menu for a fiver: cheeseburger sliders, sirloin-tip sandwiches, warm crab and artichoke dip with buttery rounds of toast, crab cakes; or raw oysters at $1 each and jumbo shrimp at $2.50 each paired with half-price cocktails. Check out the famous Morton's Prime Sirloin burger, a three-quarter pounder topped with cheese, plus bacon or mushrooms and served with fries - it's $15; pair it with a $5 glass of wine and you're in bargain-land. Here's a time and place any tightwad can feel like a high roller.
http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/location/mortons-the-steakhouse-6362728

eta: actually, it looks like some morton's don't have a dress code...
Also of note, there doesn't seem to be a dress code...I'm sure they won't let you in with your wife beater on, but the dress was very casual...Maybe that has something to do with the Mall location, but I like not having to dress to formally for dinner so this is a plus for me!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mortons-the-steakhouse-king-of-prussia

including a florida location...
No dress code shorts and sandals where abundant among the guest.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mortons-the-steakhouse-miami-2

so at least that location doesn't enforce the ..
dress code at Morton's, which they describe as 'smart casual', and the website advises you not to turn up in T shirt and sandals.
https://utrip.com/plan-travel/united-states/palm-beach-county/mortons-the-steakhouse/

Last edited:
John Tory to Rob Ford: Careful who you label a ‘typical politician’
But when he was reminded that Mr. Ford recently called him just another “typical politician,” even the mild Mr. Tory couldn’t hold his tongue. “Rob Ford was probably the most typical politician ever,” he told the editorial board of The Globe and Mail.
[...]
He said Mr. Ford governed by slogan, as typical politicians will. One of his most famous was “subways, subways, subways.” If you think about the issue for even 10 minutes, Mr. Tory said, “you know ‘subways, subways, subways’ was not a practical, realistic, honest option to put in front of the people,” because subways are expensive and building them is only one part of building a good transit system.

Typical politicians tend to obfuscate about money. Mr. Ford did that too, leaving huge unfunded commitments that he failed to mention when he boasted about stopping the gravy train, Mr. Tory said.

“If you want to talk about who is the typical politician,” he said, “it is someone who is not straight with the people … you’re not straight with the finances … you sloganeer as a means of getting public support and polarize people.”

Typical politicians tend to play to the crowd, often catering to voters’ baser instincts. Mr. Tory accused Mr. Ford of doing just that, by arguing that the city couldn’t absorb any more immigrants. It’s a free country and he has a right to his opinion, the mayor said, but “is there any chance that was sort of pandering to people, in terms of that group of people out there who he thought was going to benefit him?”
[...]
“So who is the typical politician? Who is the guy who announced the day after the election that he’s just going to spend his time campaigning instead of helping to govern? Who’s the guy that was the one that was obscuring the finances of the city when he had a chance to manage those finances? Who’s the guy that sloganeered with ‘subways, subways, subways’? Who’s the guy that panders to the lowest common denominator? If you want to ask me who’s the politician, it’s him.”

Mr. Tory wound up: “If he wants to sit in a hospital bed and dump on me, and it makes him feel better, then go ahead, dump away. If it makes him feel better in terms of his health, I don’t really care. But I just also don’t take it very seriously.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...u-label-a-typical-politician/article27862907/

He has followed and unfollowed me a few times. From what I can tell. he isn't hardcore Ford Nation, but still not big on the current mayor.

But for a guy who's 50, two kids at community college, unemployed since Warren Buffet's version of Kraft closed the ketchup factory and absolutely zero prospects -- he's raging. White privilege getting stuck in his face by minorities with better educations. Drinking his pogie. And, now it seems, suicidal. To him, 'white privilege' is just another way to grind him down further. That guy's my cousins, in some cases, and I've got to say, I've got a lot of sympathy for him, too.

Marc Lepine? That kind of unbalanced, whacko, chip on his shoulder thinking is definitely the true version of entitlement. That's the true -- and dangerous -- version of white privilege.

And never mind Trump; re this kind of powderkeg demo, I'd wonder if there'd be some unsavoury individual out there who'd actually recruit such suicidal individuals on behalf of suicide-bombing incidents. Sort of like, goodbye cruel world and take down hundreds of people in Times Square or some such familiar node.

Maybe we *would* be seeing it now, were it not for the strategic typecasting of suicide bombing as a 72-virgins "Eastern" thing, doing it for Allah, etc etc...

Are you optimistic homicide detectives will eventually make arrests in the many unsolved from 2015, including the Muzik nightclub shooting that killed two and wounded three others?

“I think we have the best homicide squad in the country. If they can’t solve it, nobody can. But solving any murder case, it’s not solely up to the police. There has to be community involvement. Murders do not happen in silos. (The Muzik shooting) is a classic case — five people shot in a very large nightclub, thousands of witnesses, so at some point in time, if you keep shaking the tree, something will happen.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/18/public-trust-is--is-a-priority-chief-saunders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back