185     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 540     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 474     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the intelligence level of the Mayor this is quite an achievement!

"Toronto has been named one of the world’s top seven intelligent communities of the year by the Intelligent Community Forum (ICF).

“It's great that Toronto has been recognized as a top seven intelligent community,” said Mayor Rob Ford. "Toronto has the largest information technology sector in Canada and the third largest in North America. Over 160,000 people are employed in the local Information technology sector and that figure is expected to grow by 35,000 over the next five years."

Considering the intelligence level of the Mayor this is quite an achievement!

"Toronto has been named one of the world’s top seven intelligent communities of the year by the Intelligent Community Forum (ICF).

“It's great that Toronto has been recognized as a top seven intelligent community,” said Mayor Rob Ford. "Toronto has the largest information technology sector in Canada and the third largest in North America. Over 160,000 people are employed in the local Information technology sector and that figure is expected to grow by 35,000 over the next five years."

Wonder who the speech-writer was who wrote that for Rob.

i bet in Frod's wildest dreams/nightmares, he never thought he would be 'working' with a female (who's also a lesbian) in a position of higher authority than him.

Technically she may be a higher authority but the reality is she has no political clout. She became premier through the back-room process of political horse-trading (and apt description in this case). She has no political clout compared to Ford who received more direct votes than any politician in Canada. I suspect that Ford will not have to work with her for long and we will be heading to the polls sometime this year. I cannot imagine her winning a majority. Even within the gay community it seems she is widely despised judging from the comments posted on Xtra.ca

http://www.xtra.ca/public/National/UPDATE_Wynne_will_send_a_message_of_equality-13076.aspx

Technically she may be a higher authority but the reality is she has no political clout. She became premier through the back-room process of political horse-trading (and apt description in this case).
So you'd say the same about Premier Eves?

So you'd say the same about Premier Eves?

He would be another example of a politician who gained office via party selection rather than a general election.......the Canadian public is generally hard on those folks when they do go to the polls.

My advice would be to govern boldly and make brave, impactful policy decisions......there is not much to lose and a lot to gain.

...the Canadian public is generally hard on those folks when they do go to the polls.
Recently, certainly. Though is it because they replace old, tired leaders who can't win re-election, and quickly go to the polls? There's a couple of historical examples who did get strong majorities, and then governed for years. Trudeau federally and Davis provincially. At roughly the same time as each other. Both out-polled their predecessors.

She became premier through the back-room process of political horse-trading (and apt description in this case).

Major conventions are backroom processes? One of my close friends is a Liberal party member and was a delegate for another candidate during the recent leadership campaign. From talking politics with him, I don't get the impression anything sneaky happened.

Ford who received more direct votes than any politician in Canada.

I'm not sure if you're aware but we have MPs, MPPs and city councillors who run in particular ridings (or areas of town divided by geographical boundaries). Toronto is also the largest city in Canada. No riding anywhere in the country is the size of Toronto. Whoever gets elected mayor of Toronto will always have more direct votes than any other politician in Canada unless there's a landslide in Calgary, Montreal or Vancouver. Using your thinking, Joe Pantalone got more votes than three times the size of Charlottetown's population so I guess he could throw his weight around there if he wanted to.

It's fascinating that with Rob Ford's conflict of interest trial all done and Spence's hunger strike over, the Sun News crowd turns their focus to Kathleen Wynne. There's always something to ruffle their feathers.

He would be another example of a politician who gained office via party selection rather than a general election.......the Canadian public is generally hard on those folks when they do go to the polls.

Just like Don Getty, Ralph Klein, Ed Stelmach, Alison Redford, Leslie Frost, John Robarts, Bill Davis, Louis St. Laurent, Pierre Trudeau, Kathy Dunderdale....

Of course, there's Paul Martin, Bernard Landry, Ernie Eves, Kim Campbell, John Turner, Ujjal Dosanjh.

I'd say there isn't a generality to this. I'm hoping, for example, that Wynne will join the former group rather than the latter. (Because Dim Tim Teabag is pretty crazy right-wing.)

Last edited:
That's funny...I thought the EXACT same thing when I read that. No way Ford sounds that polished (and knows those facts) without outside help.

Unless his handlers and speechwriters can control the situation, Rob Ford avoids media scrums, or it is limited to time or the number of questions.

Apparently (according to CBC News) the Compliance audit report on Ford's election expenses will be released today. Special prosecutor anyone?

Is this really news? I mean, did Mayor Ford violate the Toronto Elections Act (or whatever it is called) to the point where he should be thrown out of office?

Just like Don Getty, Ralph Klein, Ed Stelmach, Alison Redford, Leslie Frost, John Robarts, Bill Davis,

All of those would be "the next in line" of serious party dynasties. In Ontario from 1943 to 1985 and in Alberta from 1971 to today there really was/is a sense that the Ikea Monkey could be declared leader and get elected.......I guess Frank Miller showed that he was less competent than the Ikea Monkey ;)

Louis St. Laurent, Pierre Trudeau, Kathy Dunderdale....

Exceptions are needed to prove rules ;)

Of course, there's Paul Martin, Bernard Landry, Ernie Eves, Kim Campbell, John Turner, Ujjal Dosanjh.

Outside of those political dynasties (which I would suggest are a thing of the past) there is a longer list of people who fail in their first election after being appointed than do well. It is likely a result that leaders seem today to stay in office until they are unpopular and the "next guy" (and the party) get tarnished with the unpopularity of the previous guy.

I'd say there isn't a generality to this. I'm hoping, for example, that Wynne will join the former group rather than the latter. (Because Dim Tim Teabag is pretty crazy right-wing.)

I think there is a generality to it (with odd exceptions) and I also think that it is something that any premier-designate has to consider in his/her initial term in office. That is why I suggested that bold leadership and bold moves are required. It is interesting to me that her first words are around the transit file and the need to raise revenue through things like taxes and tolls to fund future investment. These are, hardly, the kind of moves that get someone re-elected.......let's say she was successful in getting a bit of momentum around the subject....so we get some kind of increased gas tax and tolling on, say, the Gardiner and the DVP and those monies are targeted at the DRL. By the time the next election rolls around all the electorate would see is an increase in their cost of living but the benefits of that will still be years in the distance. The long term nature of transit initiatives are likely the reason that few (any?) politicians have made it their "hill to die on" at election times.

I like that the premier-designate has made transit/gridlock "job one" but it hardly seems the path for someone taking over from a (now) unpopular guy to get elected when she (at some time) takes us to the polls. It will win her votes from the UrbanToronto readers but not sure many others will be impressed. I think the general public would view it as she raised taxes and we have nothing for it (keep in mind, using the example I gave, there would probably not be a shovel in the ground before you go to the public).

I did, however, through my MPP offer a bit of a suggestion if Ms Wynne was going to make transit/gridlock the defining issue of her new office. If Ms Wynne were to direct/order/command GO/Metrolinx to maximize the investment going into the GO Kitchener Corridor by having frequent all day 7 day two way service on the day of opening (2015) and, along with that, have new stations at Black Creek/Eglinton and Liberty Village and announce that riders on that line boarding and leaving within the 416 could ride those trains at TTC prices.....she could, quite legitimately, declare that she had found an intermediate, and immediate (by transit terms) relief line while she worked on the bigger transit file. Since the vast majority of the funds needed for that plan have already been allocated/spent she could also show that she found this "relief line" within current budgets, without new tax measures and in a fiscally responsible fashion.

By the time she went to the polls she would have something that showed benefit before cost as opposed to what the bigger transit file would do to her political message.

Is this really news? I mean, did Mayor Ford violate the Toronto Elections Act (or whatever it is called) to the point where he should be thrown out of office?

It's news that the audit results are being released, and the amounts that were filed in the original complaint seem fairly large to me (over 150K in overspending plus 78K in improperly borrowed funds). I don't know how that compares to offences from politicians in the past though, and no one has been booted from office in Ontario for this type of offence before.

Of course it's news the audit report is coming out. When we know what it finds we can better judge whether there was any significant overspending and thus what an appropriate penalty might be. Election spending limits are put in place to allow 'anyone' to run in elections and avoid only having rich candidates. Whether they achieve that I really do not know but that's the intention and all candidates know (or ought to know) what's allowed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back