355     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 522     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of Rob Ford's charitable foundation has a website, or if there is some way to find out what it does, and who or what it funds? Ford is always talking about how much money he's raised and how many kids he's helped, but is there any documented proof? An annual report? A brochure, even, or a website?

"... I've fundraised probably close to $50,000, $60,000, $70,000. I don’t know what the number is. But I know I’ve started off about 13 football programs in high-needs areas and underprivileged areas where the kids need the most help and it’s been very, very successful.”

Given that his name is on the foundation, should he not know whether he's raised "$50,000, $60,000 or $70,000"? And is that per year, or since the foundations' inception? Don't charitable foundations have to declare their revenues and expenditures? And which are the football programs? In which high-needs areas?

Edit to add: I've Googled "Rob Ford Football Foundation," but only found news articles, no actual website.

Edit to add: found this info on a fundraiser that was held on July 18, 2012. http://allcanadianselfstorage.blog....t-party-for-the-rob-ford-football-foundation/

I'm surprised no schools have come forward to say that they have been beneficiaries of the Rob Ford Football Foundation. Although maybe they are afraid that they were the ones who benefitted from from the questionable $3,150.

Note: I did find this: Blessed Mother Theresa Catholic Secondary School (80 Sheppard Ave. E.) received a $5000.00 grant from Ford's foundation according to their website: http://www.tcdsb.org/schools/blesse...ges/BMT-Football-Gets-Support-from-Mayor.aspx

Last edited:
I was trying to research his foundation earlier today and haven't found anything yet. But if it's a registered foundation, then there should be some reports, because yes, they do have to report, meet disbursement quotas, etc.

ETA: It's not listed on the CRA site as a registered charity. It's probably something informal that he just calls a foundation. Since it's not registered, it can't issue charitable receipts, and he doesn't have to file any reports.

Last edited:
I was trying to research his foundation earlier today and haven't found anything yet. But if it's a registered foundation, then there should be some reports, because yes, they do have to report, meet disbursement quotas, etc

Did anyone state that the Foundation is registered for the purpose of issuing tax deductions or is this registration just an assumption. As I understand the law I can start a Foundation for any purpose I like and answer to no one as long as I don't issue receipts for income tax deductions.

No one said it was; I was just curious and was researching it.
It is certainly true that anyone can establish a foundation and that only ones registered by CRA can issue tax receipts BUT one must wonder why anyone would establish a non-registered foundation if the aim is 'charitable' (as helping potential footballers probably is). Being registered is certainly going to get more donations and the CRA requirements are not too hard to follow. It is certainly worth checking to see whether it is registered - to do so one needs the 'real name'.

I believe it's the Rob Ford Football Foundation. I agree -- I'd register it. Much easier to solicit donations when you can provide a tax receipt and donors can check out the foundation's status with CRA and its financials.

Time for a conspiracy theory!!!

Ain't it strange that Robbie boy has gone fishin' with our illustrious Mr Harper only a week before a certain Toronto court appearance which will be overseen by a judge from Ottawa.

Two points:

A donation to a charity foundation without expectation of tax relief must be the purist charitable donation possible.

If Rob Ford is forced to resign as a result of the upcoming events, offers himself as a candidate in the ensuing bye election and wins what would the response of the assassins on this thread look like?

Whether he is in a position to offer himself in the upcoming election (not "by election") is itself going to be a matter of the judicial decision - and beyond that, do not confuse popularity with ethics and integrity. The merit of his foundation, as questionable (or not) as it maybe given the lack of transparency isn't the issue - his repeated transgression of conflict of interest rules, and his utter unfamiliarity with said rules in spite of his years as a politician are.

As to character assassination, well, I still have to hear your thoughts on how Jack Layton never "had to work".

AoD

Last edited:
I have never heard a CBC, Star or even Globe and Mail reporter, refer to right leaning conservatives as righties, or fascists, or fanatic extremist, yet pretty much every political story story from Sun Media, radio 1010, 680, 740 use derogatory comments to describe non conservative politician. I can only surmise by this type of reporting, that people who work for these media outlets are a bunch of bully, bigoted bastards with a hate on for the world outside of their own small minded version of what a society should be. Sun Ann Levy is a prime example o such a hateful person.

From the Star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cit...alert-him-to-possible-conflict-documents-show

“Do you have a memory of the handbook?” Ruby asked.
“I just answered that question,” Ford replied.
“You said 'I have a memory in my mind.' What is it you have in your mind?” Ruby asked.
Ford replied: “I can remember what I ate for breakfast.”

WTF?

AoD

Under the Act, if Rob's conflict was due to an "error in judgment" then he gets to keep his job. So ironically Clay Ruby has to prove that Rob was too smart to do this by mistake, and Rob has to prove he was too stupid to know he was violating the law.

(It's sort of like Reagan in Iran-Contra, but without the right-wing murder squads.)

As to character assassination, well, I still have to hear your thoughts on how Jack Layton never "had to work".

Wikipedia suggests that he spent 6 years or so after high school acquiring an advanced degree and promptly became a professor at Ryerson. No work history recorded.

His ability to shake off the chains of the Hudson Quebec Country club environment and rise to the level of the common "working Joe" was probably his biggest achievement, having sold that bridge everything else was a walk in the park.

Last time I've checked, getting hired at a university teaching as a prof counts as work, no? (and FYI, he also taught at York and U of T) Certainly more so than going back to daddy's company after school.

AoD

If Rob Ford is forced to resign as a result of the upcoming events, offers himself as a candidate in the ensuing bye election and wins what would the response of the assassins on this thread look like?

Dramatic much? Really helping to clarify your position there, pal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back