News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 591     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread moves so fast. I'm not sure if this has been posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...l-tests-only-if-other-candidates-do-1.2741846
When Sarah Thomson challenged him, Ford says he'll do a drug test if the other candidates will.

My fave quote:
"I often get asked if I do drugs, and I wanted to assure all Toronto residents that I do not have any alcohol or addiction issues," Thomson said.

Thomson shows up at City Hall on a horse drawn buggy.... bystander says "Are you on drugs?"
If ever someone needed to be medicated, I would have to pick Thomson.:D

"Kat_YYZ
The more you type his name, the more he is trending, and the press say 'oh look, everyone's talking about Rob Ford, we will write even more about him!" It doesn't matter that the talk is negative. Flood the media with requests to hear more about others, for others to get more time and coverage

I concur wholeheartedly. Im not sure how to feel about participating in this thread in that context. (But i will not give it up.Nevah!)I wonder if anyone has seen the self congratulatory ads on CTV about thier news reporters? Natalie Johnson saying she's pleased with herself when she can catch a politician in a lie or tell said politician "That's not how you voted". Sorry girl, fish in a barrel.

I know I'm hogging the thread and I'll stop right after this. I'm in cottage country and I learned that cottagers must choose whether to vote here or in T.O. Perhaps we should talk to everyone who can vote in either area and convince them their vote is too important to T.O. this year to spend it in cottage country.

( We might be able to break a thirty year conservative stranglehold on Parry Sound Muskoka while we're at it) Can you say Green Party robbie?

I love Casita

That is all

Upon further research I find myself eating humble pie, side o'crow. Landowners get as many votes as palaces er cottages. Disregard all else. Wait still love Casita.

Last edited:
Stop tempting me to pay 300$ to see that! I'm not made of stone you know. Also, David Socknaki David Socknaki Savid Socknaki Savid Docknaki Vasid Kosnaki...hmm, this buzz raising is harder than I thought. ;)
rofl3.gif

I concur wholeheartedly. Im not sure how to feel about participating in this thread in that context. (But i will not give it up.Nevah!)I wonder if anyone has seen the self congratulatory ads on CTV about thier news reporters? Natalie Johnson saying she's pleased with herself when she can catch a politician in a lie or tell said politician "That's not how you voted". Sorry girl, fish in a barrel.
nah, this thread isn't really a part of mainstream buzz. Though I do kind of wish it had gone into stealth mode long ago so it wouldn't attract so many rubberneckers and trolls just by virtue of coming up on Google searches. using initials or some code names (RoFo, DoFo, etc) and other little tricks would've allowed people to perhaps share even more here. (Though if that had been implemented, I might never have found this thread).

=Scarberian;909816]I've always wanted to know what the opposite of pennywise but pound foolish was."

My southern momma used to say " you're stepping over dollars to pick up dimes" must be said in Oklahoma accent to be valid.

I used the term "dime smart, dollar dumb" with an owner of a factory a little larger than the Ford's in Toronto. He refused to take my advice in spite of me pointing out how a capital investment would shield him against a downturn of the US dollar (which most of our sales were in). I left when our dollar started dropping (better job) and about a year later they were kaput, they would have survived had the investment been made but they had bigger wants, a Cessna for the son, a new home for the daughter etc.

Rub and Tug exemplify that same mentality, what they don't get is cities don't rise or decline overnight, their rise and fall is measured in DEACDES. Just look at Detroit, they failed to invest in the future during the auto hay days, they got lazy and expected there would always be a GM, Ford and Chrysler expansion around the block. They elected corrupt politicians who were all short term planners and the inevitable happened.

My current hometown K/W has avoided this, when RIM/Blackberry were booming they INVESTED in creating an environment to foster future growth, Blackberry is a shell of a company in comparison to what it was, thousands of layoffs, yet we thrive, because an investment was made.

People still grouse about city council building light rail etc but the growth is all where it was planned a couple decades ago and will continue to support that LONG RANGE PLAN.

P.S. We also built an expensive washroom, one to put Toronto to shame, $750,000, but it makes our central park family friendly and adds to the livability of our city.

Last edited:
View attachment 31730

Nicely done Kelly Girl! I especially like the fact he's considered garbage. Anyone that is a threat to rub could actually be in this, Lisi, Bellisimo, Kathy etc, they've all drawn his ire much like those ravenous Raccoons.

Last edited:
I just got back from Russia, Kat. I'm still getting caught up on the thread.

Google tells me to tell you: "Добро пожаловать назад" (twitter collective tells me to add "comrade" lol! to do with a certain Graeme tweet typed about a bunch of pages ago, it'll make sense when you get that far caught up)

I used the term "dime smart, dollar dumb" with an owner of a factory a little larger than the Ford's in Toronto. He refused to take my advice in spite of me pointing out how a capital investment would shield him against a downturn of the US dollar (which most of our sales were in). I left when our dollar started dropping (better job) and about a year later they were kaput, they would have survived had the investment been made but they had bigger wants, a Cessna for the son, a new home for the daughter etc.

Rub and Tug exemplify that same mentality, what they don't get is cities don't rise or decline overnight, their rise and fall is measured in DEACDES. Just look at Detroit, they failed to invest in the future during the auto hay days, they got lazy and expected there would always be a GM, Ford and Chrysler expansion around the block. They elected corrupt politicians who were all short term planners and the inevitable happened.

My current hometown K/W has avoided this, when RIM/Blackberry were booming they INVESTED in creating an environment to foster future growth, Blackberry is a shell of a company in comparison to what it was, thousands of layoffs, yet we thrive, because an investment was made.

People still grouse about city council building light rail etc but the growth is all where it was planned a couple decades ago and will continue to support that LONG RANGE PLAN.

P.S. We also built an expensive washroom, one to put Toronto to shame, $750,000, but it makes our central park family friendly and adds to the livability of our city.

Agreed, KW is a great area. Wouldn't mind moving there, some day.

Last edited:
We could give back the rebate?

I've been paying the Vehicle Registration Tax to the city as a donation every year since it was cancelled.

You have to submit a form to claim the rebate, and you won't get the rebate until the candidate's audited financial statement has been filed and any related proceedings are complete. It might be simpler to not claim the rebate, although if you claim it and donate it back to the city you can claim the donation to the city (not to the candidate) on your Federal and Provincial taxes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back