912     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 410     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 493     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
My god could they at least step off script for a bit?

Controversy hits? Drag out a threat.
Need to apologize? Tell them to fuck off for a week THEN mumble some flatulence.
Then call a presser about WE SO GREAT JOBS CREATE DURR.
That doesn't work? Drag out kids.
And if that doesn't work? Pull the rehab card.

To be continued?

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 57s
Asked if it was tough to back down in feud with the chief, Doug said "I don't know I'd call it backing down. I'm just trying to move on"

He just doesn't learn...

Why are those two constantly making avoidable mistakes that require "moving on"? How about "smartening up" instead?

Which is EXACTLY what Rob did with Daniel Dale. Doug will take the opportunity to repeat the allegations 3 or 4 more time before finally reading out the lawyers statement.

If Doug thinks that the defamation / apology episode with Blair will follow the same trajectory as the one with Rob and Daniel Dale, he's going to be in for a shock. Dale had far to more to gain by accepting the apology than Blair does.

popcorn.gif

I love how Doug calls it a feud. Blair has not publicly feuded with these clowns at all. As usual, it's all coming from them. I wonder what Blair's idea of an apology really is, and I hope it's epic.

Their own or some random children they have kidnapped to protect them from the media onslaught?

@annhui: The family is from Chicago. They're visiting TO. Doug met them on the plane and decided to give them a tour of City Hall and mayor's office

@annhui: The family is from Chicago. They're visiting TO. Doug met them on the plane and decided to give them a tour of City Hall and mayor's office

Do they not read the news?

I wouldn't let my roomba near these two clownboats, let alone my kids.

Now Doug is handing out bubblegum to the kids
https://twitter.com/annhui/status/499631875108143104

"@StephenLeDrew u can't grow hair at least grow a pair #TOpoli"

Gee, grown men handing out candy, well in this case bubble-gum, to kids... now I'm not saying that there is anything going on, but it's grown men, who are not relatives, giving presents to kids, what do you think?

(I responded before I read Dokisdoc's tweet.)

Last edited:

So another scripted impromptu moment from Dougie and Robbie... when do we get the gladiatorial games Dougie always promises... you can't have a good diversion without blood. If Nero had a brother... I'm just saying, it my opinion.

I love how Doug calls it a feud. Blair has not publicly feuded with these clowns at all. As usual, it's all coming from them. I wonder what Blair's idea of an apology really is, and I hope it's epic.

Dougie says that so often I expect Richard Dawson's ghost to appear.

So, Doug spends yesterday whining about wasting of taxpayers money by Pugash. Yet, Doug is on City time giving a guided tour of city hall to strangers???? Right.

He is such a moron. I really hope DECO takes a hit from all this bad press.

ETA - If anyone has a client list of DECO's clients, I'd love to see it. I'll start by boycotting anyone who uses their products - and let them know exactly why.

So the Chief will get some lawyer-written apology letter, and Doug will go on hinting that he didn't really mean the apology and coming as close as he can to renewing the alleged libel.

Should the Chief let things drop or proceed with a lawsuit?

He'd have grounds to proceed, for sure. As others have noted, even an apology only mitigates potential damages, it doesn't necessarily end the matter.

If I were the chief, though, I'd just move on. First off, Doug's statements were (no doubt deliberately) couched vaguely in the first place. Things like "the top leadership of the police" (could be more than one person), "condoned this behavior". All he's really saying is the top people who are in charge of the police (who?) "condoned" the leaking. Absent evidence that the "leadership" began an investigation into the alleged leak, isn't this fair comment? Granted, the sniggering wink-wink "you know exactly what I'm talking about" certainly implied more. But it's not a slam-dunk case, and the argument could be made that it's fair comment. Furthermore, damages to the Chief are hard to quantify. If you're a prospective employer of the ex-Chief, are you going to say to yourself, well, he was accused of leaking stuff because he was against Ford therefore I won't hire him? Maybe. Maybe others would be more likely to hire him (or vote for him) if they knew he knew how to play hardball and choose a side. Being police chief in a big city is inherently a bit of a political job, and leaking things to the press really isn't unheard of for politicians (and considered at worst a venial sin). Even if every person in Canada believed that the Chief deliberately leaked the news of the subpoena because he didn't particularly like His Worship, does that really do any specific monetary damage to him? After all, as the Globe article pointed out, the brothers "have been claiming for close to a year now that, for one reason or another reason [...] the chief is out to get them." The Chief didn't sue over those repeated jabs at him--doesn't that imply he either didn't think they were libelous, or that it they were, they didn't cause any harm to him?

Remember the last libel suit the Twinmayors faced: because the Defendant's comments were kind of vague and mealy-mouthed, the Plaintiff ended up paying the Defendants significant costs.

Nobody wins in a lawsuit except the lawyers, usually.

Living in "this great city" feels like I'm stuck in a very bad Veronica Mars episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back