865     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 776     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 326     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, does anyone still expect anything but ridiculous and irresponsible statements from his ilk?
one of my very best friends in the world is a raging ford fan

every time we have a, um, discussion, he accuses me of belonging to "those lefties and people of their ilk"

i love that word...

SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS... ILK ILK ILK

From one Scarberian to another - cheers!

Thanks and cheers back. Speaking of Scarborough. I really hope the Super Smash Ford Bros. are only desperately bluffing when they say Scarborough loves them. I was reading an issue of Scarborough Mirror, and it looks like they are turning the pressure. Some past issues criticized Rofo, but still tried to keep a 'balanced, genteel' approach. More recently however, the op-eds and letters from readers are starting to turn. One article even gave a cautious shout out to Andray Domise.

I think you're quite right about the bigger rot that the Ford Follies have exposed. I'm angry, sad, and frustrated that there does seem to be a 2 tier justice system in Toronto and Canada. Worse, that the idea that someone in a position of authority or leadership should be held to a higher standard, scrutiny and enforcement is treated as a joke or not even acknowledged at all. I know there is no such thing as a perfect city, and country, but this is not the Toronto and not the Canada I knew and love when I first came here.

Basically it’s a back-door way of getting to what we’ve resisted in keeping with our right to remain silent,†Mr. Morris said. “And obviously I’m going to recommend the mayor resist that.â€

'So, uh, we know stuff, maybe. But you'll never get us to talk'.

It's like Hotmail Lawyer can't be bothered to make an effort to even look like a respectable lawyer.

It's not unusual for the Crown to add charges that the police should have laid in the first place, once they've had a chance to review the disclosure that the police provide them. That's often not until a few months after the original charges have been laid. Without knowing her record it's hard to say if she'd do time or not. If it's her first drinking and driving offence, then likely not. But if she's got prior convictions for similar offences, jail time is mandatory. The amount varies depending on how many previous convictions she's got.
thank you Whatthe. I believe she is "known to police" but no convictions. As for "sobriety dates" some count some don't. A person who relapses regularly will often stop counting. I know one guy who has twenty plus years who still counts in days. There is a great song by Macklemore about it called starting over that speaks to the difficulty of copping to a relapse.

I can see the marquee now, Robbie Ford as Nora Desmond.

You're Rob Ford. You used to be the mayor. You used to be big.

RoFo: I *am* big. It's the *selfies* that got small.

I didn't know you were planning a comeback.

RoFo: I hate that word. It's a return, a return to the millions of taxpayers who have never forgiven council for stabbing me in the back for stopping the Gravy Train.

RoFo: And I promise you I'll never desert them again because after this campaign there'll be another and another. You see, this is my life! It always will be! Nothing else! Just me, the cameras, and those wonderful taxpayers out there.

All right, Jerry, I'm ready for the selfies!

Last edited:
It's not unusual for the Crown to add charges that the police should have laid in the first place, once they've had a chance to review the disclosure that the police provide them. That's often not until a few months after the original charges have been laid. Without knowing her record it's hard to say if she'd do time or not. If it's her first drinking and driving offence, then likely not. But if she's got prior convictions for similar offences, jail time is mandatory. The amount varies depending on how many previous convictions she's got.
thank you Whatthe. I believe she is "known to police" but no convictions. As for "sobriety dates" some count some don't. A person who relapses regularly will often stop counting. I know one guy who has twenty plus years who still counts in days. There is a great song by Macklemore about it called starting over that speaks to the difficulty of copping to a relapse.

Thanks and cheers back. Speaking of Scarborough. I really hope the Super Smash Ford Bros. are only desperately bluffing when they say Scarborough loves them. I was reading an issue of Scarborough Mirror, and it looks like they are turning the pressure. Some past issues criticized Rofo, but still tried to keep a 'balanced, genteel' approach. More recently however, the op-eds and letters from readers are starting to turn. One article even gave a cautious shout out to Andray Domise.

I think you're quite right about the bigger rot that the Ford Follies have exposed. I'm angry, sad, and frustrated that there does seem to be a 2 tier justice system in Toronto and Canada. Worse, that the idea that someone in a position of authority or leadership should be held to a higher standard, scrutiny and enforcement is treated as a joke or not even acknowledged at all. I know there is no such thing as a perfect city, and country, but this is not the Toronto and not the Canada I knew and love when I first came here.

Ford, like Harris before him has brought out a really bad side of this city. If we keep Ford, we keep all the polarization, meanness and divisions amongst us. Ford Nation is a strange and unusual place. A high contingent of white gay hating and racist people in league with a lot of poor people of colour. Nothing good can come of this unholy union.

Ford, like Harris before him has brought out a really bad side of this city. If we keep Ford, we keep all the polarization, meanness and divisions amongst us. Ford Nation is a strange and unusual place. A high contingent of white gay hating and racist people in league with a lot of poor people of colour. Nothing good can come of this unholy union.

Not forgetting gay-hating people of colour, union-hating well-off gay whites and people who are just really angry about a single issue and think Ford will deign to pay attention to them (Iola Fortino, come on down!). A real mixed bag.

'So, uh, we know stuff, maybe. But you'll never get us to talk'.

It's like Hotmail Lawyer can't be bothered to make an effort to even look like a respectable lawyer.

Funny, 99.99% of guys in a high profile public position like Ford's would cooperate with police just for optics. Rob couldn't care less about that though. Guy is shameless lol.

thank you Whatthe. I believe she is "known to police" but no convictions.

Yes, thank you for your insights, whatthe.

While I was poking around on the web looking for something else relating to KaFo, I ran across the Ontario Press Council's report in response to "Complaint from Ms. Connie Harrison regarding an article published by the Globe and Mail, dated May 25, 2013 entitled Globe Investigation: The Ford family’s history with drug dealing". (Sorry if this report was discussed here before, but if it was I missed it.)

I'm not any kind of expert in how the media functions in Canada, and as a layman who's interested in this topic I learned some interesting things reading this report. If anyone reading here is in the same boat, it's worth having a gander.

Priceless Fordian moment contained within: "Council invited Mr. Doug Ford, the main subject of the article, to participate in the hearing, which is available at no cost to complainants. ... Mr. Ford did not file a complaint and did not attend the hearing."

http://ontpress.com/2013/10/16/opc-decision-harrison-vs-globe-mail-october-2013/

Last edited:
Funny, 99.99% of guys in a high profile public position like Ford's would cooperate with police just for optics. Rob couldn't care less about that though. Guy is shameless lol.

View attachment 30982

Priceless Fordian moment contained within: "Council invited Mr. Doug Ford, the main subject of the article, to participate in the hearing, which is available at no cost to complainants. ... Mr. Ford did not file a complaint and did not attend the hearing."

"Doug Ford disputes Globe report on family history with drug dealing"
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ly-history-with-drug-dealing/article12156831/

"In a round of media interviews, Mr. Ford was emphatic in his assertions, but focused more on attacking the paper and less on the specifics of its report."

Which reminds me of something I once read. When late-night TV talk-show host Jack Parr would occasionally refer to Oscar Levant as a nut, his wife became annoyed and said she wished he’d stop calling him that. Oscar told her that he would hate to have to go to court about it. :D

Last edited:
well, the results are out -- http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/103/john-tory-breaks-through-in-toronto-campaign/

edit: nick kouvalis (on tory's team) is campaign research, not forum research... i am a numpty

Wow, the report doesn't even bother to specify landlines only. Just says "telephone" survey in section on methods. Forum needs a serious public shaming. No way Ford is at 27%.

Landlines may provide a degree of accuracy across Ontario (though I doubt it). But in a city like Toronto, there's just no way.

The Ford bros never seem concerned about the optics. However, the OPP and Toronto Police Services should be concerned about the very real impression that they are corrupt. I suspect high level political influence at both the Provincial/Federal levels and street level police corruption/crime in the city of Toronto. The whole thing reeks and has seriously damaged faith in the Police. I'm disgusted!

I think up to now the Police have evaded major criticism/investigation from the media and citizens. As long as Brazen 2 is "ongoing", there will be some leeway given. But with Blair gone and Giroux going, it can't be ongoing forever. If charges don't end up being laid and Brazen 2 is officially closed, then there will be an uproar. Anti-Fordites will want an investigation into corruption, Pro-Forders will want an investigation into the amount of resources that were wasted.

99.9% of politicians in a similar situation would have resigned a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back