4.3K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 667     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the past is the past before it`s even passed...

ddale8 3:44pm via Twitter for iPhone
"This is not even news," Mayor Ford says of him being subpoenad in an extortion case related to an apparent crack cocaine video.

Vintage Daniel Dale!

+ 1000

It's the same strategy he's been using since that stupid Dufferin road repair announcement last May and it STILL works!

I know the TO media are frustrated too but it's crazy; they are letting themselves be used. When a scandal breaks he calls a presser and they all gather and then he talks about whatever he wants to talk about, ignores them and leaves. And I know they have to be there in case he actually says something but then don't carry it live and when it's nothing, don't run anything after. When you live tweet it or broadcast it etc. etc. he has accomplished his goal. Again.

He could do it again tomorrow - call a press conference and talk about Sugar Beach in front of the whole press gallery - and it would work again. Someone has to make it stop.

(I DO agree it's not news in that I don't know how anyone could have not thought it's inevitable he would get subpoenaed and have to testify. There is no way that wasn't going to happen given that the video is of him, etc. etc.)

It was on CP24. It was disgusting. Not surprisingly, he used it as an excuse to talk about councillor expenses. When reporters asked direct Qs about the subpoena, he outright ignored them and kept ranting. He said that the subpoena is not news and he keeps hearing from people he should just "ignore the media," and that's what he did.

I understand, on the one hand, why a media boycott plays into his hands but one of these days they just have to do it, if only for a single event. Or go, but don't go live. It's too insulting to watch.

When media asked him about his own misuse of taxpayer dollars through the football issue and filming his campaign video in his office, he ignored them. Classic.

Not sure Blair would have a great case. Would hinge on showing Doug accused him personally of leaking the fact of the subpoena, and of doing so for improper reasons. But Doug's comments are a little all over the place, and when he came back later, he was careful to qualify things by saying Blair was "responsible" in the sense that he's the head of the police (avoiding saying he personally leaked).

Councillor Ford later said he stood by his comments, saying that the chief must be held accountable for the actions of the force. “He’s the head guy and anything that happens, he is responsible for,” he said.

It's fairly clear there was a leak in the police, and Doug could say that the chief "allowed it to happen", which is arguably fair comment. He called Blair the most biased/political chief ever (or whatever) some time ago without attracting legal trouble.

Not sure Blair would have a great case. Would hinge on showing Doug accused him personally of leaking the fact of the subpoena, and of doing so for improper reasons. But Doug's comments are a little all over the place, and when he came back later, he was careful to qualify things by saying Blair was "responsible" in the sense that he's the head of the police (avoiding saying he personally leaked).

It's fairly clear there was a leak in the police, and Doug could say that the chief "allowed it to happen", which is arguably fair comment. He called Blair the most biased/political chief ever (or whatever) some time ago without attracting legal trouble.

By that same logic, Rob is then responsible for everything that happens at TPS, 311, city hall, etc, etc, etc. He is in charge afterall.

It's just time for Doug to STFU.

I hope he really does get sued rather than getting away with a spineless Fordian apology.

Actually, Daniel Dale got a full and very real apology that completely exonerated him. On Paper. Late at night. After Ford issued a totally dickish and completely insincere fauxpology loudly in front of the cameras.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Bill Blair will not be so accommodating.

Agreed about Amanda Galbraith. It was also nice to see Stephanie Smyth make a decent effort at getting past Doug's vigourous deflection effort (regarding the subpoena). She wasn't 100% successful, but she tried hard and did better than most who have interviewed the Ford brothers.

Dougie got his ass handed to him.

Recovering from a hangover?

Another broken elevator... this time at TCHC, part of Robbie's inflated repair backlog.

By that same logic, Rob is then responsible for everything that happens at TPS, 311, city hall, etc, etc, etc. He is in charge afterall.

Didn't he tell us just yesterday that the Integrity Commissioner works for him?

Oh, and today his campaign account tweeted something like "I have invested $1.2bn in infrastructure..."

I'm not convinced that these are the words of a person displaying perfect mental health.

Couldn't they just move for him to be treated as a hostile witness?

That cannot be done 'in the air'. The Crown would have to satisfy the judge that he met the test for being labelled as a hostile witness.

In R. v. Coffin (1956), 114 C.C.C. 1 (S.C.C.), at p. 24, Kellock J. described a hostile witness as one who does not give his or her evidence fairly and with a desire to tell the truth because of a hostile animus towards the prosecution.

Another broken elevator... this time at TCHC, part of Robbie's inflated repair backlog.

Rob Ford has done more for elevators than anyone in the world. He has tons of experience with elevators that don't go to the top floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back