56     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 438     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 887     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch out, citizens of Toronto. The mayor is driving a brand new Escalade.

Is it ironic that the Cadillac Escalade is often seen as the vehicle of choice for flashy gang bangers?

Apparently, the job of Mayor is considered "underprivileged" in the Ford family. That is why Rob's brothers gave it to him as a gift. Good thing it wasn't the federal government giving him the Cadillac Escalade, else Rob would turn it down like he did with the federal money for an anti-gang program.

If your the mayor and the president of a company that is under contract to the city, give you a new car, don't you have to report it or something? It's not exactly in the typical range for a minor gift.

Watch out, citizens of Toronto. The mayor is driving a brand new Escalade.

Is it ironic that the Cadillac Escalade is often seen as the vehicle of choice for flashy gang bangers?

the toronto star article says that RF's brothers bought it for him as b-day gift in May; however, comments include RF stating in Toronto Sun article that he paid for it himself ... what's the real story ?

It figures that the brothers Ford would all drive these huge planet destroying utility vehicles with one person in it much of the time.

Land Transfer Tax Tax Lobbying

Another attempt by the TREB (Toronto Real Estate Board) to get rid of the Land Transfter tax. This time they have a website to go with their mouthpiece of a mayor!

Who Are We?

We are the Toronto Real Estate Board, representing over 34,000 REALTORS® across the GTA. More importantly, REALTORS® are proud Torontonians.

We are parents that want to see our children achieve the dream of home ownership.

We are neighbours that want our community’s services to be reliable.

We are friends that want to see everyone treated fairly.

We are business owners that want to create jobs.

We are taxpayers that want City Hall to be accountable.

In short, we are people just like you.

Why Do We Care About This?

One simple, but important, reason: we want our City to reach its full potential.

Together, we can all build a great City, but we need to get this right, Toronto.

The Toronto Land Transfer Tax is not the right way to build a great city.

It creates inequality among our residents; it perpetuates irresponsible City budgeting; it threatens jobs; it makes our City less affordable; it makes City Hall less accountable; it hurts our environment; and it makes our roads even busier.

We know that Toronto’s greatest strength is the people who choose to make this City their home. We are taking action for them.

We are taking action for you.

http://www.letsgetthisrighttoronto.ca/

Thanks, but I don't need your action nor your transparent excuses. Just admit that the fee cuts into your commissions, and we'll work from there.

Last edited:
Apparently, the job of Mayor is considered "underprivileged" in the Ford family. That is why Rob's brothers gave it to him as a gift. Good thing it wasn't the federal government giving him the Cadillac Escalade, else Rob would turn it down like he did with the federal money for an anti-gang program.

Ford now demands provincial money for an anti-gang force:

Toronto Star article

Mayor Rob Ford will demand Monday that Premier Dalton McGuinty give Toronto between $5 million and $10 million to add officers to the city’s anti-gang police unit.

“I’m going to go in there, I’m going to ask for 5 to 10 million dollars and I want to be able to give that to Chief Blair and tell chief ‘Go hire police officers and let’s get this city cleaned up and let’s started getting these gangs and guns off the street and let’s stop all the rhetoric and small talk.’”

Ford has consistently voted against any social spending aimed at reducing crime and gang activity in troubled neighbourhoods — the only member of Toronto’s 45-member council to do so.

Ford alleged in one of his many talk radio appearances in the past week that he voted in June against accepting $350,000 in federal money for an anti-gang program because he believed the program yielded no jobs.

University of Toronto criminologist and gang expert Scot Wortley later told the Star, however, that Ford is wrong. Wortley said he can’t discuss details of his team’s review of the program, since the results haven’t been released to council, but Ford’s conclusion “is not what we found.”

"Money talks and B.S. walks"

He loves the catch phrases (like "hug-a-thug"), doesn't he?

"I’m taking a very simplistic approach — money talks and B.S. walks and I’m not going to sit there and listen to some B.S. and some reports, and yada yada,†Ford said.

“I’m going to go in there, I’m going to ask for 5 to 10 million dollars and I want to be able to give that to Chief Blair and tell chief ‘Go hire police officers and let’s get this city cleaned up and let’s started getting these gangs and guns off the street and let’s stop all the rhetoric and small talk.’"
Ford himself persuaded council to freeze Toronto police hiring for two years as part of his 2012 austerity budget. While agreeing to let the overall 2012 police budget rise by 0.6 per cent, Ford tasked Blair with providing options for a full 10-per-cent cut over two years.

The Premier’s office reported Monday a representative from the federal government would not be at the summit.

^^ It's because he has nothing intelligent or meaningful to say.

Didn't Ford also say at one point that he wasn't going to go looking for "handouts" from the Federal and Provincial governments?

But he's also politically smart enough to know how to massage Ford's crude rudiments into something coherent that might, just might, salvage Ford in spite of himself...

I don't think anyone's THAT politically smart, short of Karl Rove (and Ford can't afford him). Any politician should learn from Hudak's example and not hitch their wagon too close to Ford's.

"Money talks and B.S. walks"

He loves the catch phrases (like "hug-a-thug"), doesn't he?

Many Right of Centre Toronto Sun reading SUV drivers love those catch lines too, that was a part of his winning strategy in becoming Mayor.

OT but sometimes I wonder if there's a link between the success of a politician who uses catchy but brainless sound bites ("hug-a-thug" is brilliant even if the content is moronic) and our society's use of things like Twitter where people send out endless streams of communiques that are 140 characters or less.

Marshal McLuhan would have loved being alive today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back