914     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 638     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
From The Star, at this link:

Rob Ford’s playground photo-ops raise questions about voting record

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford cut the ribbon of a Jane-Sheppard park whose funding he had voted against in 2012. His critics say he is being a hypocrite.

rob_ford_on_climber.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Mayor Rob Ford climbs a play structure at the Woburn Park re-opening on. July 21.

There he was last Monday, climbing a jungle gym. There he was on Sunday, riding a teeter-totter.

Mayor Rob Ford is never more endearing than when he is gleefully hanging out with children. Perhaps uncoincidentally, Ford is making the playground photo-op a staple of his election summer.

He says he has a record of investment in playgrounds and parks. His critics say he is being a hypocrite.

On Saturday, Ford cut the ribbon at a new amphitheatre and park in North York’s Jane-Sheppard neighbourhood. In 2012, though, he was the only member of council to vote against a proposal to let the city use $140,000 in private money to build the park. The proposal passed 34-1.

Local resident and advocate Talisha Ramsaroop, 21, said Ford told her and two other young people at the ceremony that he has done more for low-income communities than any other mayor — and that he “started” the park project.

“Those were his exact words: ‘I started this,’ ” Ramsaroop said.

In fact, the park, Reading Sprouts Garden, was a painstaking multi-year initiative of local councillor Maria Augimeri. Ramsaroop said she was “really upset” when she was informed later of Ford’s opposing vote.

“To be quite honest, I didn’t know that politicians were allowed to lie to your face,” Ramsaroop said. “Like, I know this sounds really optimistic, but I was completely unaware that politicians were allowed to lie to the face of the people.”

Ford’s spokesman, Amin Massoudi, did not respond to a request to confirm or deny the comment. In an earlier exchange, Massoudi refused to explain why Ford appeared at the park despite his vote against it.

“He either forgot or it doesn’t matter to him,” said Augimeri. “Is it shameless or ignorant? I don’t know.” She said Ford should have either skipped the ceremony or acknowledged in his speech that he has changed his mind about the worthy project.

Ford is appearing at two more refurbished playgrounds on Wednesday alone, one in midtown and one in Etobicoke. Both playgrounds have received substantial private money.

Ford is a staunch supporter of non-government investment in parks. But he also took a vocal stand last year against the government itself spending more on playgrounds.

Though Ford had never attended a meeting of the parks committee as mayor, he took his seat at the committee in September specifically so he could cast a pointed vote against three proposals to improve parks-related service.

One of the proposals was a motion from Councillor Gord Perks to replace 30 old playgrounds per year rather than the current 12. (Toronto has about 900.) The change would have cost about $2.3 million per year.

“We can’t have these lefties spending like drunken sailors,” Ford said then.

Massoudi said Ford is always mindful of public dollars — but has a “record of making significant investments in important community infrastructure such as playgrounds and parks.” The mayor, Massoudi said, has invested $47 million on 122 “new and improved” playgrounds and water-play structures, “with 49 playgrounds upgraded in 2014 alone.”

Mike Schreiner, the city’s director of parks development and capital projects, said the correct number is 101 playgrounds and water-play structures upgraded during Ford’s mayoralty, not 122.

Regardless, Ford cannot fairly take credit for all of the upgrades.

Only $6 million of the $47 million came from city taxpayers, Schreiner said. Over Ford’s four-year term, Schreiner said, the city will have replaced 48 playgrounds with that cash.

The majority of the enhancements, Schreiner said, are being paid for with private funds — about $41 million secured from developers and other non-government sources by individual councillors.

Neighbourhoods starved of lucrative development have to wait for the city itself to make their playgrounds better. At a 12-per-year pace, they could wait more than 70 years. The proposed funding hike Ford opposed, still being studied by the city, would mean a timeline of closer to 30 years.

“The mayor made the only appearance he has ever made at the parks and environment committee with the sole purpose of making sure that Toronto doesn’t invest in having great parks and great playgrounds,” Perks said. “This isn’t a matter that he accidentally voted against once. This is something that he made one of the most unusual moves of his career to prevent from happening.”

Last edited:
Why is it that RoFo's so invariably *enthusiastic* when he comes across a freshly built/renovated playground?

The face to face, I'll help *you*, the $20's and Timmys cards don't hurt either.

To be clear, you're saying that politicians handing out "walking around money" to disenfranchised citizens is a good thing? Because "Boardwalk Empire" is what we aspire to? No, the Fords practice old school machine politics that can certainly inspire loyalty and even get some things done, but is far, far outweighed by its drawbacks.

I happen to agree that the personal touch and recognition helps to inspire. Remember when Keiko Nakamura tried that? The fact is that, for all their talk of "customer service" the Fords stand in the way of any effort to actually improve service delivery in this city. If they can't take personal credit for it - for example Rob's less than useless TCHC strolls - they don't give a flying fuck.

To be clear, you're saying that politicians handing out "walking around money" to disenfranchised citizens is a good thing? Because "Boardwalk Empire" is what we aspire to? No, the Fords practice old school machine politics that can certainly inspire loyalty and even get some things done, but is far, far outweighed by its drawbacks.

I happen to agree that the personal touch and recognition helps to inspire. Remember when Keiko Nakamura tried that? The fact is that, for all their talk of "customer service" the Fords stand in the way of any effort to actually improve service delivery in this city. If they can't take personal credit for it - for example Rob's less than useless TCHC strolls - they don't give a flying fuck.

To be clear, no I'm not saying it's a good thing. All I'm saying is they do it because it works.
I agree with the rest of what you are saying though.

Because he has the reasoning and cognitive abilities of a child. I think he truly does love seeing the kids having fun and playing etc... but, he can't quite put the cause and effect together that his voting against funding such things would not make this possible.
That, and he has this amazing ability to lie through his teeth almost constantly - both to others and, more importantly, himself.
He is a special and dangerous breed of monster.

Last edited:
Who is "he"?

“He drove himself to buy coffee and donuts for all the volunteers.â€

Ah yes, the Grand Gesture - for which Deadbeat Dads and other assholes the world over are well known.

That's actually not that bad a comparison. I'm a news junkie, so I have an almost impossible task in understanding the proverbial 'low information' voter. I don't understand how you can refuse to know all the possible information about the world around you. But a big chunk of Ford Nation is just bored by facts. But they're interested by the controversy surrounding the Mayor, so they listen to his soundbites. He lies about the park being a Mayor Ford initiative, for example, and since they don't pay attention to the rebuttal or other news stories about the park opening, that's the only thing that sticks.

Like a deadbeat Dad lying about Mom during the one visit a month, when he arrives with ice cream and takes you to the zoo, where Mom never takes you.

The thing is, once Ford is no longer in the spotlight, once he goes away, they'll not be interested in him anymore. They'll be back to gossiping about The Bachelor. And they'll be fine with that, and so will I. The part that I really, really don't like is the slime who manipulate those low information voters to vote for a Rob Ford. Knowing he had substance abuse problems and anger issues, they still put him in power. Those political operators should be hung out to dry, and yet they're still involved in campaigns. Makes me ill.

Last edited:
not to hijack your thought or anything, but imagine what it must have felt like in the eye of this storm --

Ford Fest: POV from LGBTQ people and supporters

Jesus, what a bunch of braying dead-eyed morons. They need to be named and shamed, but I guess they just got high-fives from their friends and co-workers the following Monday.

Iola Fortino is the Chicken Lady from Kids in the Hall's circus freaks skit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back