3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 617     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just giving my opinion. I haven't been around since the beginning, just the past 15 years or so.

I think he misunderstood. Neither of us are saying that Boystown was or is the term used for the The Village. Boystown (and I am right. I had friends who patrolled this strip as young homeless kids and the small area around the Y was indeed called Boystown.) I don't know what they call it anymore, or if it even has the same makeup it did before.

I've been hanging out in the Gay Village since 1980 but you know what they say "The older the fruit, the sweeter the juice" er, or something like that. lol

Speaking of gay, sadly, I know of a few gay men who support Ford. I had a casual friend (more of a friendly acquaintance) who I knew for 8 years and I only found out recently, when Ford's name came up in conversation, that he supports Ford and will vote for him. Instantly, my respect and affection for this person vanished. I've never mentioned a word about to this guy but I avoid him now.

That's sort of heartbreaking and what a sad state of affairs but I would have done the exact same thing. Kudos to you

I'm not sure this was at all necessary, but ... it happened.

0ZiFCdz.jpg

Now THAT'S "Ford Fest"!

I think he misunderstood. Neither of us are saying that Boystown was or is the term used for the The Village. Boystown (and I am right. I had friends who patrolled this strip as young homeless kids and the small area around the Y was indeed called Boystown.) I don't know what they call it anymore, or if it even has the same makeup it did before.

Oh Jesus, just start another damn thread. This is a Rob Ford forum, not an urban geography website....

These tweets are from Soks campaign manager and he raises a good point. Personally I can't decide if the Fords actually planned to be asshats or it just sorta happened.

Brian F. Kelcey @stateofthecity · 30m
2/2 Once the Deco story was a threat, they raised it. Now all anyone cares about is the chaos. Another Ford bait and switch... succeeds.

Retweeted by Ian MacIntyre
Brian F. Kelcey @stateofthecity · 32m
Talk in my feed re: RoFo/DoFo tactics last night. And the key insight to me is that they didn't question the one-staffer rule until 2pm. 1/2

These tweets are from Soks campaign manager and he raises a good point. Personally I can't decide if the Fords actually planned to be assholes or it just sorta happened.

Brian F. Kelcey @stateofthecity · 30m
2/2 Once the Deco story was a threat, they raised it. Now all anyone cares about is the chaos. Another Ford bait and switch... succeeds.

Retweeted by Ian MacIntyre
Brian F. Kelcey @stateofthecity · 32m
Talk in my feed re: RoFo/DoFo tactics last night. And the key insight to me is that they didn't question the one-staffer rule until 2pm. 1/2

What pisses me off is the organizers allowed them to get their way. They could have asked the cops to get involved but they didn't. There is absolutely no benefit to having 3 people, including a driver, in that room but as usual, the Fords are allowed to bully their way through.

He's not the only one thinking this:

Marc Coward
‏@YYZMarc
We have been treating the RR Donnelley story and Gary Giroux investigation as two separate stories. That may be a mistake.

Cry the Beloved Curmudgeon

here, in his own words, is a long and detailed account of his experience at ford fest, by the gentleman who was accosted --

http://cdncurmudgeon.blogspot.ca/2014/07/cry-beloved-city.html

This was a most excellent and detailed description of the Canadian Curmudgeon's gay-like-me adventures at F*** Fest on Friday, but it appears now that he has taken down his entire blog and shut down his Twitter account. The cached version of his feed gives no indication he was about to go dark.

Does anyone know what might have happened? Cops? Fords? Hate mail? Or just too much bloody attention?

BTW here's a cached version of the original article: Cry the Beloved City

Random thoughts in no particular order:

1. Michael Peake of the Sun took two photos (posted earlier in this thread) that will go above my fireplace once Rob and Doug have been ousted. Defeated Rob, Angry Doug. Brilliant photos.

2. Where is Jeff Silverstein?

3. At the fracas, Doug threatened that they would all leave unless their WWF entourage was allowed in. How wonderful if that threat had been acted on.

4. Can't wait for the first debate that un-invites Rob.

5. During the debate, I'm pretty sure Rob accused others (Chow, Tory) of lining their pockets while in office. Surprised at the lack of push back to this slander.

6. The Ford More Years cheering squad as Rob mounted the Escalade were also outside at the Scarborough debate venue, facing off against the shirted horde.

This was a most excellent and detailed description of the Canadian Curmudgeon's gay-like-me adventures at F*** Fest on Friday, but it appears now that he has taken down his entire blog and shut down his Twitter account. The cached version of his feed gives no indication he was about to go dark.

Does anyone know what might have happened? Cops? Fords? Hate mail? Or just too much bloody attention?

BTW here's a cached version of the original article: Cry the Beloved City

Anti-Forders were giving him a very hard time about pretending to be gay, seeming narcissistic, and telling off a black woman who had brought her children to see Ford. He posted something sarcastic to his Twitter account to the effect of "yeah, you got me, I'm just an asshole who was trying to get attention for myself" and flounced.

I mean there MAY be more to it, but I think he just got tired of the criticism.

5. During the debate, I'm pretty sure Rob accused others (Chow, Tory) of lining their pockets while in office. Surprised at the lack of push back to this slander.

They can't, because it would just descend into muck and make them look defensive - they need to ignore it and move on. What they do need is attack dogs to fight by proxy to take Rob out. In party politics that's a bit easier. And no, Kinsella and Kouvalis slapping at each other from the back seat of the station wagon doesn't count.

It's terrible that the candidates are taking the high road and not challenging Ford on his blatant lies. Soknacki came close in the post-debate media interview. He could really distinguish himself from Tory and Chow by being more aggressive and pointed -- and i think he might just start doing that. He appears to be becoming more agitated and frustrated as time wears on. I think he has it in him and could make some noise. Some friends and acquaintances who are moderately engaged in civic matters are starting to talk about him like he's a legitimate candidate so he's at least on the radar in my small anecdotal sample size.

I have to say I find Chow extremely underwhelming. There was a point last night when she was responding to the time lines concerning her transit plan and whether it would take 10 years or 17 years. She muddled her way through an answer then slumped back and mumbled 'and the rest 17 years.' She just looked defeated.

It's terrible that the candidates are taking the high road and not challenging Ford on his blatant lies. Soknacki came close in the post-debate media interview. He could really distinguish himself from Tory and Chow by being more aggressive and pointed -- and i think he might just start doing that. He appears to be becoming more agitated and frustrated as time wears on. I think he has it in him and could make some noise. Some friends and acquaintances who are moderately engaged in civic matters are starting to talk about him like he's a legitimate candidate so he's at least on the radar in my small anecdotal sample size.

I have to say I find Chow extremely underwhelming. There was a point last night when she was responding to the time lines concerning her transit plan and whether it would take 10 years or 17 years. She muddled her way through an answer then slumped back and mumbled 'and the rest 17 years.' She just looked defeated.

That's a good point - Tory should drop a briefcase of cash at Soknacki's door (and a plum appointment come December) to get him to go hard on Ford. There's no way Ford could get any traction against Soknacki because he's on the right and has actually accomplished all of the private/public/business things that Ford only claims to have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back