1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Highlight of the night:

"I had four beers. Snow was supposed to bring a bag of weed... But he didn't."

[video=youtube;GIH5k5iUs3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIH5k5iUs3Q[/video]

Gun Control

That's hardly a loosening of gun laws - just cutting out some of the hoops legal gun owners need to jump through. Won't cause more crime, but will encourage gun owners to stay current and compliant on their permits.

According to Dr Wendy Cukier, head of the Coalition for Gun Control.the pro-gunners have managed to persuade the Conservatives to renew an amnesty for gun owners who let their licences expire, pay back over $50 million in licensing fees to gun owners and defeat efforts to employ gun marking and tracing techniques.

Harper’s dangerous gang
Special report: banning handguns in Canada
By Paul Terefenko
July 17-24, 2014 | VOL 33 NO 46.
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=164994

But you can't just look at all immigrants as a unified group … Gays are an easy target because new immigrants are more likely to be devoutly religious, and it speaks to Muslims, evangelicals and Catholics. Government corruption is also an easy sell because of the poor quality if governance that many immigrants have left behind. They know that Indian bureaucrats are corrupt, so makes sense that Canadian ones are as well.

Aside from doing exactly what you told me not to do, many leave countries for many reasons, including racial/social/sexual intolerance.

The idea that immigrants tend to vote conservatively is also demonstrably false.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-blue-the-moment-they-arrive/article16093040/
These attitudes fit with recent findings from EKOS that immigrants are slightly less likely (not more) than the Canadian-born to vote Conservative – and markedly more likely to vote Liberal.

This is also confirmed in the book "The New Immigrant Voter, 1965-2004: The Emergence of a New Liberal Partisan?", pg 72 (http://books.google.ca/books?id=ttD...q=The New Immigrant Voter, 1965-2004:&f=false):

This, not only is the new immigrant voter more supportive of the Liberal Party than the Canadian-born voter, but also (according to our evidence) this difference in voting preference has been steadily increasing since 1965.

In short, I'm pretty certain people who are homophobic don't choose to move to one of the most sexually tolerant countries on the planet.

In addition, because of the lower voting rates amongst immigrants, and that those who are motivated to vote are likely to have already voted in previous elections, and the fact that the last 2011 National Household Census said that only about ¼ of Etobicoke's ridings are visible minorities, they'd have to triple (or more) their vote to make up the type of voter mobilization we saw Ford get for the election. Whereas, mobilizing a small group of ignorant bigoted, white, lifelong citizens could easily push him over the edge in those areas.

Last edited:
His wife and daughters appear to be super healthy eaters - veggies, salmon, egg whites, squash, etc. No crap allowed.

*Pathological* super healthy eaters, fitness freaks, etc--to the point where one wonders whether they're trying to fill an inner void. (Particularly as it's every. single. one. of. them. Like a fitspirational Stepford family.)

And of course, putting oneself in RoFo's shoes: with familial "healthy living" role models like that, no wonder one can opt for the comfort of junk and sloth instead...

And re the "immigrant question", let us remember who became the figurehead for Ford Nation goon tactics on protesters: Ron Banerjee.

Aside from doing exactly what you told me not to do, many leave countries for many reasons, including racial/social/sexual intolerance.

The idea that immigrants tend to vote conservatively is also demonstrably false.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-blue-the-moment-they-arrive/article16093040/

This is also confirmed in the book "The New Immigrant Voter, 1965-2004: The Emergence of a New Liberal Partisan?", pg 72 (http://books.google.ca/books?id=ttD...q=The New Immigrant Voter, 1965-2004:&f=false):

In short, I'm pretty certain people who are homophobic don't choose to move to one of the most sexually tolerant countries on the planet.

In addition, because of the lower voting rates amongst immigrants, and that those who are motivated to vote are likely to have already voted in previous elections, and the fact that the last 2011 National Household Census said that only about ¼ of Etobicoke's ridings are visible minorities, they'd have to triple (or more) their vote to make up the type of voter mobilization we saw Ford get for the election. Whereas, mobilizing a small group of ignorant bigoted, white, lifelong citizens could easily push him over the edge in those areas.

All true but the lowest dpv is to target homogenous communities, and that means immigrant religious communities.

Given the amount of misogyny I've seen on IHTWOMRF, I'm pretty sure the whole having-a-vagina-thing is a black mark against her anyhow. Some of the most vile, hateful stuff they spew has a sexist lean to it.

No doubt you're right; I doubt that's at all helpful to Stintz' misguided efforts at wooing Fraud Nayshun. Possibly they'd be willing to vote for a nasty piece of work like Sue-Anne Levy, but who knows?

Anyway, let's recap the points from last night: Whatever self-restraint we'd seen from Ford's fanboys finally evaporated, and they behaved as violently as expected.

So. Any arrests? Nope.

Cops looking the other way? Ineffectual police response? Check.

Ugly behavior from Fraud Nationalists ignored by the media? Check. As per usual, CP24 treating Il Douche with kid gloves, and the frickin' CBC, of all things, portraying Ford as a lovable, cuddly-wuddly teddy bear. Oh, and here's the small headline from today's Toronto Star: "Crowds mob mayor at colourful gathering." Uh huh.

Mind you, a few details reported by the people here have me feeling some small amount of optimism, such as the war veteran speaking out against the Ford mob's violence. However crowded it may have seemed, there couldn't have been more than a couple of thousand people there, and I'm sure a sizable portion of them were indeed from out of town. That's reassuring, for all that it still made for a disturbing spectacle.

I'd also like to add my thanks to the people willing to go out and protest. That they were so vastly outnumbered must have been a genuinely frighteneing experience.

All true but the lowest dpv is to target homogenous communities, and that means immigrant religious communities.

As opposed to ignorant Christian white lifelong citizens? I'd tend to think they're a easier to motivate than a collection of different races and religions who've left their respective homelands for different reasons.

Anyway, let's recap the points from last night: Whatever self-restraint we'd seen from Ford's fanboys finally evaporated, and they behaved as violently as expected.

Except that it still wasn't "violent enough". Remember that keyword I offered as to what to prepare for: "Altamont". This was kid-stuff violence by comparison, nothing involving ambulances etc...and that's a big part of why the media skirted around it. But all the same, it's definitely an ominous tip of the iceberg.

Sad to say, what it'll *really* take to make people and the media notice is--as with Altamont--*worse* violence. Like, grievous-injury-or-death type violence.

And maybe, and this is the fatalist in me talking: we should accept that likelihood, perhaps as a shell-shocking "necessary evil". Or even run the risk of provoking it. Unfortunately, we're by and large so inherently non-violent by nature, being "peaceful Canadians" and all, we can't even fathom such a thing happening, much less triggering such a thing. But given these kinds of forces, it may be all uncontrollable--it'd just be a daunting lot of personal investment expended for any one individual to cross the "provocation line" (Yet, it was that willingness to cross a de facto "provocation line" that led generations of Canadians to go to war, putting their lives on the line, etc.)

And re the "immigrant question", let us remember who became the figurehead for Ford Nation goon tactics on protesters: Ron Banerjee.

No doubt Ford collects bigoted minorities in his group, but the evidence isn't there to say that this is his base; the unwavering 25% who won't vote for anyone but Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back