33     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 859     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Selfies, it's simple: Rob Ford is a notorious character and a selfie with him will garner lots of attention on social media. That explains 80% of it. Only a minority are real Ford Nation citizens, I wager. Hell I think it would be funny to get my pic with Ford to show friend, if I didn't think it was immoral - i.e. feeding the delusions.

I don't think that "people voting for Ford because he's funny" is what we have to worry about. People who don't really care don't care enough to go out of their way to vote. Ford nation is full of people who actually and unbelievably think he's the best choice for mayor. That is the real worry.

Totally agree - most of those who wanted to have selfies with him do so because of his notoriety (bragging right to friends and all), not because they think he is a good mayor. Ford Nation are more the likes of Iola.

AoD

One other dodgy thing from this morning's Globe article:

Working through a company that hires him out, (Marier) said he’s helped hundreds of clients in the five years he’s been coaching.

So here he is talking to Canada's National Newspaper, read by wealthy alcoholics across the country, and he doesn't mention the name of the company?!? If he didn't tell Ann Hui, then why?

What sort of company wouldn't want this sort of publicity?

So here he is talking to Canada's National Newspaper, read by wealthy alcoholics across the country, and he doesn't mention the name of the company?!? If he didn't tell Ann Hui, then why?

Good point. Any of our talented in-house internet sleuths tried to pin down the company?

All of this leads me to wonder why the hell he did the interview. He's a damn sobriety coach - he's got every excuse in the world to never do an interview. I certainly wouldn't expect one from him. But it doesn't make him look any better. It doesn't make Ford appear to be in good hands (a "been there done that" approach?), and it doesn't make the campaign look like it's in good shape either (Doug's clueless about the whole arrangement?). What good was supposed to come of this?

So here he is talking to Canada's National Newspaper, read by wealthy alcoholics across the country, and he doesn't mention the name of the company?!?

It may be the Globe and Mail who edited out the name -- if I'm not mistaken, newspapers often have policies about not providing blatant promotion to individuals.

I was at the sit in the other day when he was there. Two of us were sitting on the floor, me against the wall, the other person in front of me. Behind her was a pillar and there was nobody in the main part of the hallway. He purposely swerved and walked between the pillar and the other person instead of walking the straight line to go into Ford's office. At least he didn't kick her.

Has there been further word on Jamie Strashin being shoved by a security guard? That's the second time pushing has occurred since Ford returned. The other time it was either cp24 or city when a guy walking out with Ford pushed a cameraman and was yelling at him not to ask Rob questions.

You guys are just racist against former drug heads turned sobriety coaches! That's the worst kind of racism........!

signed: Thuggo

This is a crazy article. They need to be inundated with comments to the contrary!

http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/...rd-toronto-s-first-black-mayor/article/389512

Op-Ed: Rob Ford: Toronto's first black mayor

By Sylvannia Soulet
yesterday in Politics

My issue isn’t about Ford’s efficacy as the mayor, but rather why there is such a dedicated witch hunt to vilify him. Which brings me back to the reason why I consider Ford our black mayor.
The term “black” doesn’t exclusively prescribe to race. It could also be used to describe, as Collins English dictionary defines it, “something wicked or harmful” or “causing or deserving dishonour or censure.” There be Bobby in spades (pun vehemently NOT intended).
The way I refer to Rob Ford as our black mayor has to do with how Toronto as a whole perceives him. As someone different from the fold. Canada prides itself on its multiculturalism and its celebrated diversity, That said, it is guilty, just like any other place on the globe, of the evils of discrimination or, in the context of this piece, “subtle racism.” While Canada does not adhere to the overt racism of the United States, it has its own insidious brand that socially ostracizes and isolates while simultaneously giving the appearance of acceptance.
Let’s be glib: Rob Ford is no one’s vision of a mayor. He’s the odd man out, he’s out of shape, and he has smoked crack by his own admission. The morally bigoted people of Toronto cannot oust him, so they employ their time-tested brand of subtle discrimination. Toronto opts to paint Ford as inferior to the citizens who bestowed upon him his very power.
Rob Ford not only evokes both the positive and negative stereotypes of black culture, but he also reflects back upon Toronto its own haughty nature. Its whole-holier-than-thou attitude, while not precisely the same as traditional racism, still portrays the city as harbouring the world’s most glass house stone-throwers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back