264     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 685     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the Sun Continues to pound on Ford: "Ford horde has right to protest" "Democracy is messy and the “shirtless hordes” now pursuing Mayor Rob Ford on the campaign trail are part of what democracy is all about."

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/0...rotest?token=5b0e420272ed2ad2ce10f6cbb474a173

Canary in a coal-mine - Toronto Sun (the SUN!) continues to basically $hit on the house of ford.

To their (belated) credit, The Sun has been staunchly against him since November.
Why they continue to let Warmington print his crap (aside from, cynically, web hits for his "exclusives") is beyond me. Obviously a columnist is supposed to print his own views etc. but Joe W crossed the line a long time ago, as far as I'm concerned. The mere fact that Doug says, straight up, he's the only media they talk to suggests that Warmington is not working in a journalistic capacity at this point.

To their (belated) credit, The Sun has been staunchly against him since November.
Why they continue to let Warmington print his crap (aside from, cynically, web hits for his "exclusives") is beyond me. Obviously a columnist is supposed to print his own views etc. but Joe W crossed the line a long time ago, as far as I'm concerned. The mere fact that Doug says, straight up, he's the only media they talk to suggests that Warmington is not working in a journalistic capacity at this point.

I know they've been staunchly against him since November - but the fact that they haven't gone back to RoFo post rehab and continue to write (JW aside) pretty damning articles against RoFo is really telling IMO. The Sun does speak to a minority constituency that is vocal and mobilized... so the fact that the Sun has for the last six months at least been anti RoFo is very very telling. The shirtless "mobs" are one thing but the fact that the Sun supports them is, at least in my mind, very telling that RoFo's candidacy is DOA. (it's sorta the opposite of in-group bias...)

Going back to DoFo: what intrigues me is his kneejerk urge to blame *everything* (shirtless protesters, window smashing) on "campaign operatives". Like to him, and even with all the electricity he and his brother and family have generated, it's inconceivable that *any* independent, non-paid, non-allied grassroots agent could do any of this stuff.

Methinks he's just projecting techniques of his own realm upon the Tory/Chow camps, i.e. because he and whatever family cronies do things that way, he's under the delusion that it's "natural", that everyone does things that way. Like surely, all those heckling shirtless protesters are doing their thing because Chow/Tory people gave them twenties to do so...

Oh, and if Rob Ford is that way in rehab: imagine how he'd be in handcuffs, in custody, incarcerated, etc.

Well, as I've said in the past: he could well wind up as the first elected Mayor in a contemporary Western democracy to be taken down by a police bullet.

so here's some musings..ala TV's Scandal .ford takes mcrobb's vehicle, drives to toronto for whatever reason...score with lisi? and/but under radar - only mcrobb knows. Gets caught at timmy's by teenager (still figuring out why change of clothes).

Heads back to resort (staff don't know he's left jurisdiction with his day pass) no doubt with vodka in hand. Crashes mcrobb's truck, injures himself (x-ray), resort first to know of accident (ford calls leon?) and fixes, but mcrobb ousted and ford put on short leash After that, mcrobb heads to Toronto, liaises with lisi, gets escalade and heads back to muskoka supplied. Doug finds out about accident and timmy's at same time and he fixes timmy's sighting.

So, I accept the foregoing a work of fiction; something probably wrong with timing of events etc . but the remarkable thing is that the fords are completely capable of something like the above described scenario. A segue though - I'm not buying the recovery or even the "in recovery" narrative - Resort just that - a place for people of affluence to dry out usually after an incident - ford not remotely invested and with mcrobbs assistance bucked the program...he simply doesn't look like someone who spent hundreds (oh please) of hours in therapy, worked out everyday for the last 60 days and stayed off the juice.

Best coverage of the day. Thank you, sweetlou.

Following on from today's Eglinton Connect project protest. Which I attended, with my shirt on.

Was it worth it? Yes - as with the 1010 protest, it got a great deal of media coverage which succeeded in making the point that 'common folk' are fed up to the oxters with the Fos and the new redemption narrative.

It was a tight space, with Rob almost standing in the street with his back to the traffic. There were only a handful of protestors and only two shirtless (so John Furr got all the video). The protest unfolded fairly spontaneously - Fords' people were not pleased as can be deduced from Dan Jacobs' inane scuffling. Amin looked like he was about to burst into tears. Jerry was the model of calm restraint. The cops were extremely calm and indeed quite amused in their handling of it. Watching the footage, I am surprised how well Rob handled it, almost smiling to himself at one point.

A number of local people showed up (it was outside the Forest Hill Animal Clinic so we had the added entertainment of doggies going in and out of the premises). The local residents were pissed by the hijacking of what they expected to be their presser - I don't blame them, I would have felt the same - but a number had the sense to talk to media reps afterwards. All the same, it sounds as if this plan has been well communicated for many months and it's a bit late to pull heads out of the sand. Also I understand Rob was telling a few RobFibs about the number of lanes that will result - only one lane in each direction? Keesmat says this is not true. Rob also invoked the St Clair disaster several times. (He later spent some time at City Hall maundering on about pink umbrellas, which has given me a great idea for the next protest.)

Would I do it again? Today I held up a sign which got on tv ("Why won't you talk to Gary Giroux?") and I'd do that again. I'm not interested in getting shoved around by a numpty like Jacobs and I wouldn't put it past the Fos to have some lead-pipe wielding chums show up next time. But I've read a lot of Twitter and online news comments today, and while there's a lot of gleeful support, there's also some suggestions that this type of intervention may be helping Rob in some people's eyes. There were infinite numbers of *great protesting tips* from the Twitter armchairs today but if these protests are to gain momentum, they need a whole heck of a lot more people or else it will become just another sideshow.

Local Eglinton resident Sue Ann Levy was there: called me a 'bike-riding lefty' as she strapped on her bike helmet and rode away. She is a strange one.

And talking directly to Doug Ford now: no I'm not in the Tory camp nor the Chow camp. Nor did I smash your SUV window nor did I send letters to your good wife. However if you're interested in the Lindbergh baby, give me a call.

Best coverage of the day. Thank you, sweetlou.

image.jpg

Great job!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,021
so here's some musings..ala TV's Scandal .ford takes mcrobb's vehicle, drives to toronto for whatever reason...score with lisi? and/but under radar - only mcrobb knows. Gets caught at timmy's by teenager (still figuring out why change of clothes).

Heads back to resort (staff don't know he's left jurisdiction with his day pass) no doubt with vodka in hand. Crashes mcrobb's truck, injures himself (x-ray), resort first to know of accident (ford calls leon?) and fixes, but mcrobb ousted and ford put on short leash After that, mcrobb heads to Toronto, liaises with lisi, gets escalade and heads back to muskoka supplied. Doug finds out about accident and timmy's at same time and he fixes timmy's sighting.

So, I accept the foregoing a work of fiction; something probably wrong with timing of events etc . but the remarkable thing is that the fords are completely capable of something like the above described scenario. A segue though - I'm not buying the recovery or even the "in recovery" narrative - Resort just that - a place for people of affluence to dry out usually after an incident - ford not remotely invested and with mcrobbs assistance bucked the program...he simply doesn't look like someone who spent hundreds (oh please) of hours in therapy, worked out everyday for the last 60 days and stayed off the juice.

I like it, and it opens up a reason for the OPP to have been to Greenestone. We are months away from an FOI release, but I'm sure someone has already filed it.

Oh, and if Rob Ford is that way in rehab: imagine how he'd be in handcuffs, in custody, incarcerated, etc.

Well, as I've said in the past: he could well wind up as the first elected Mayor in a contemporary Western democracy to be taken down by a police bullet.

I remember I was shocked when I first saw this pic of RoFo, so much so I saved it. And it fits the narrative above.

rob_ford Harper bbq1.jpg

Attachments

• rob_ford Harper bbq1.jpg
    rob_ford Harper bbq1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 891
LOL at the lectern and the speech printed out in 30 pint font. And he could still barely read it.

Last edited:

I guess Wormington gets quotes out of him. That's still useful at this point. Even if it's nonsense, and pisses people off, it's still something no one else has.

Thanks for allowing me these cathartic ramblings, good people of Toronto. In the future, promise I’ll keep it brief.

If inclined, my Twitter handle is @Kempie_3000

welcome to the forum & thanks for your insights. :)

W
I like it, and it opens up a reason for the OPP to have been to Greenestone. We are months away from an FOI release, but I'm sure someone has already filed it.

Also explains that little hospital stay which some thought was medical detox. Did he already know McRobb or did he meet her at Greenestone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back