News   Jul 16, 2024
 799     1 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 633     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
ernest ford big cert.jpg

The full marriage cert repeats place of birth as NB and gives parents' names as Sydney and Retta (maiden name = unknown). Sydney born England. Ernest is an 'electrical worker'. Celia, at 23, was already divorced. Someone with different handwriting filled in the parents' names. Now I've looked at UK censuses and can't find a young Ernest with parents Sydney and Retta at first glance. It says Ernest is 35 (i.e., born 1899-ish).

Edited to correct my own Fordmath. If Ernest was 35 as he claimed in 1924, he would have been born 1889-ish.

Attachments

• ernest ford big cert.jpg
    ernest ford big cert.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:
nope... they were born over a longer period then that.

Basing that on what - an inquiry from someone apparently not very certain about anything except a name and a vague date range; and, at that, the name of someone not listed along with the 8 siblings in Audrey's obit and perhaps not fathered by Ernest.

Last edited:
jpags 3:13pm via Twitter for iPhone
Current birthday tally: I think reporters outnumber actual supporters at party. Everyone is waiting for Doug to get here though.

"The mayor’s nephew Michael Ford confirmed with The Globe Wednesday that the mayor plans on using Skype to chat with his supporters Wednesday evening at 6 p.m."

Surprised he doesn't show up as a hologram.

Not enough bandwiidth in the world...

Celia & Ernest married in 1924. The kids I have listed are Henry Edsel (electrocuted in TTC shed), Douglas (d. 2006), Ernest Jr., Audrey (d. 2009), Lorraine, Hazel, Thelma, Sydney (d. 1980) and Tim. As far as I can tell Lorraine is the only one still alive.

ernest ford birth.jpg

This is a transcription from parish records that fits with an Ernest Ford being the son of Sydney and born in Birmingham, England. The mother - well Letitia could easily be shortened to Retta as a nickname. Note however the date of birth, which is May 3 1891. So Ernest's year of birth moved earlier as it suited him - again, this wasn't necessarily surprising in those days although he would have been of age (24) if he enlisted in 1915 as other information indicates. I spend a lot of time looking at family records like this, and while it's possible that this isn't the same person, it's unlikely there was another Ernest son of Sydney with a May 3 birthdate born in Birmingham. Possible, but unlikely.

Attachments

• ernest ford birth.jpg
    ernest ford birth.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 598
While little Henry Edsel was electrocuted at a TTC-related location, but it is far from clear that the gibberish on the grave-finder pages means that his father worked for the TTC - not to mention that his father died two years before the kid did (1933, versus 1935).

Casita: I now know how to get to the archives on-line, but I do not have my library card with me at the moment. Can you say whether the articles about the accident and the inquest indicate where the deceased kid's deceased father used to work?

Henry Ford.JPG

Attachments

• Henry Ford.JPG
    Henry Ford.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 798
We also must not forget the possibility that Doug Sr. left school in 5th grade "because the family needed him" for the same reason that Rob left Carleton before the end of first year "because the family needed him" - namely, that he did poorly at school (and in Rob's case also was a bench-warmer in football) and would rather have shined shoes than continue. Doing poorly at school of course would not have precluded Doug Sr. eventually succeeding in business.

ddale8 3:40pm via Web
This is first Ford campaign event since his leave. He has not addressed his racism, lewd remark, new apparent crack video, or anything else.

I would be supremely pissed if I had a store in that plaza. There isn't much parking so if they get a decent crowd, it's going to be a zoo. However, since the tweet further up says there is more media than Fordites, that's awesome. I hope some of the media post pictures of the masses on twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back