667     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 593     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the lunchtime live chat with Daniel Dale at the Star, DD made this comment. "His [Ford's] campaign has basically disappeared. If Chow or Tory had some sort of emergency that temporarily prevented them from campaigning, their campaign operations would continue doing stuff on their behalf. Ford doesn't really have a campaign operation - he, himself, is the campaign. So there's little to do with him gone."

G&M:

Asked if he still expected his brother to return from rehab and campaign for re-election, the Etobicoke councillor, who also is the mayor’s campaign manager, said that will be up to him. “I’ll wait until I talk with Rob. Rob will make that decision. We’ll have to see.”

EDITED: Pudd beat me to the post.

Anyhoo... since, I'm here, I'll say something nice about Jimmi T, too. He's good because he doesn't try to predict the future a la MM. He adds info to what's already out there based on his experience/knowledge. That keeps him grounded and credible.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 1.25.38 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 1.25.46 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 1.25.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 1.25.38 PM.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 871
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 1.25.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 1.25.46 PM.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 858
Apparently nobody has yet to call the impound lot to ask about getting the car back. I think it'd be great if it never leaves. How symbolic would that be? It just sits there gathering dust and rust and eventually years down the road it ends up being an empty shell of a car, like the ones still remaining in the desert on what was once Charlie Manson's ranch. 50 years from now somebody finds Ford's muffler in a field of grass.

Reminds me of a trip my father and I made to France about 50 years after the war. They took us to where my uncle's crewmates had been shot down by a night-fighter. The crater was still there ( they went down with their bomb-load still on board, returning from a failed mission ). It was by then overgrown by small trees, but the field had been kept to corn as a mark of respect. Even though 50 years had passed, Dad and I were finding bits and pieces of that Lancaster. It was the only time I ever saw Dad cry.

The Globe weighs in on the missing license plates:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...le18801625/?click=sf_globefb#dashboard/alerts
Of all the mystery surrounding the impaired driving arrest of a woman who was reportedly behind the wheel of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s Cadillac Escalade, one of the most curious ones so far is this: What happened to the licence plates?

According to Ontario Provincial Police, 36-year-old Lee Anne McRobb was arrested Tuesday afternoon and charged with impaired driving after officers based in Bracebridge, in Ontario’s Muskoka cottage country, stopped a black Cadillac Escalade.

OPP Constable Jessica Drake confirmed Thursday that the Escalade does not belong to Ms. McRobb, but that she had permission to drive it. She would not release information about the vehicle’s owner, though several media reports have identified the Escalade as belonging to Mr. Ford.

The Escalade was towed to an impound lot in cottage country where it will remain for a week, as required by the province’s traffic laws.

The licence plates, which could identify the SUV as the mayor’s, have been removed from the vehicle – but it’s unclear how that happened.

According to Constable Drake, the plates were still attached to the SUV when OPP officers handed the vehicle directly to Northland Towing and Recovery in Gravenhurst on Tuesday. “We did not remove the plates in this case,” she said.

Dennis Bell, who works at the Glen Orchard General Store near where Ms. McRobb was arrested, also said he saw the plates intact when he saw it picked up by a tow-truck at about 4 p.m. “Oh yeah, it did have licence plates,” he said.

But Northalnd’s owner, Bob Hoolans, who said he was there when the SUV was brought in, said that neither he or any of his employees removed any plates. “All we do is tow,” he said. “We don’t get involved with anything. We’re called, we hook the vehicle up, we tow it in, put it in a compound, and lock it up.”

He said that no one else – except for Ms. McRobb, who came by briefly on Wednesday afternoon to pick up a duffle bag and some knitting supplies from inside the SUV – has had accesss to the vehicle.

Councillor Doug Ford said he does not know who removed the plates from the SUV, and that he hasn’t been able to reach his brother since reports about the arrest first surfaced Wednesday. “He is not answering his phone,” he said.

Asked if he still expected his brother to return from rehab and campaign for re-election, the Etobicoke councillor, who also is the mayor’s campaign manager, said that will be up to him. “I’ll wait until I talk with Rob. Rob will make that decision. We’ll have to see.”

Another mystery is how or whether Ms. McRobb knows Mr. Ford.

Constable Drake said she was arrested Tuesday afternoon after a concerned citizen called about an erratic driver on the road. The complaint claimed “she was driving erratically, drifting into oncoming lanes,” and an officer later alleged he saw “signs of impairment – alcoholic beverage on her breath,” said Constable Drake.

In a video posted by Muskoka’s Moose FM, Ms. McRobb is seen walking around the impound lot the next day, and telling the radio station’s reporters that she is missing a watch. “I think it’s in Rob Ford’s room,” she says, adding a few moments later that she’s “just kidding.” But later in the video, she tells the reporters that she was in rehab recently, and met the mayor there.

Reached by phone on Thursday, Ms. McRobb’s sister Lindsay Sarrasin, called Lee Anne her “best friend.”

“She’s a great person. She’s got into some trouble, and hopefully we can fix all that,” she said.

Ms. Sarrasin declined to comment on how her sister reportedly ended up behind the wheel of the mayor’s car, or on her sister’s claim of having met the mayor in rehab.

The embattled Toronto mayor has been on a temporary leave of absence for the past two weeks since The Globe and Mail reported the existence of new footage showing Mr. Ford smoking what is allegedly crack cocaine. Mr. Ford subsequently flew to Chicago, but shortly after landing, voluntarily returned to Canada. Just last week, he was spotted in cottage country, and his brother Doug told media he was out of rehab for a few hours.

With the mayor on leave, the bulk of his authorities have been handed to Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who said he has been given no indication of when or if Mr. Ford will return.

“I think many of us have gotten beyond being surprised by the stories that revolve around the mayor,” he said of the latest reports. “I think he should make sure that his first priority is the rehabilitation of his health. That’s the key, and the health of his family.”

With Fleet Insurance.

No doubt (although I do doubt that any question about the insurability of Rob was the reason why Randy and Doug caused Deco to lease Rob's Escalade). Note that fleet insurance for vehicles leased to Deco might not cover the Escalade being loaned to someone who is not a director, officer or employee of Deco.* Indeed, the fleet insurance might not even have covered Jerry being allowed by Rob to drive it (much less Lisi or Leeann).

*Not that Rob would know that, of course. (If he did not read the code of conduct for councillors just imagine him reading the fleet insurance coverage terms.)

Last edited:
Sadly, I have to agree. If Ford were not in this election or ranked ballots were in effect, Socks would be my first choice. Soknacki's only true hope is a Ford-free election, methinks.

Socks would be my first choice too... if it were not for a Ford being in the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back