2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 792     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most definitely. Most of the 905ers I know work in the 905, and I even know a 416er who commutes to the 905.

I grew up in the 905 (it was still 416 for part of that time!), and Toronto's influence was massive. I certainly know more 905ers that claim to be from Toronto when they travel outside of the GTA, than vice-versa. Culture, sports, and night life that isn't in a strip mall tend to require travelling to Toronto, or if you're frugal, Hamilton.

I grew up in the 416 (before we needed area codes) and moved to the 905. Up until Rob Ford was voted in I was proud to say I was from Toronto. On the day of his win I was astounded that 'my' town had voted in such a buffoon and said so quite loudly to my friends and family. His tenure has certainly not changed my views, rather they have reinforced them.

The 905 has it's own identity now, much more so than it did in my early adulthood. There is so much more available entertainment-wise and culturally than was present in the '70's that it is no longer imperative to make that dreaded foray on the QEW into the big city. Part of this may be age related, but I do believe that much of this has to do with the availability of entertainment venues that have opened up in our little backwoods arenas.

And we don't have Rob Ford - there's always that!

Proud to be Toronto born (Rexdale actually), but equally as proud to be a citizen of Oakville.

Love to see a copy of the letter. Love to know Fantino's going to attend.

No wait...scratch that. I'm gonna go read ITO's and dream up a pack of Rob Ford's Toronto playing cards.

"The Concord fundraiser costs $300 a ticket. “You will receive (a) $225 rebate from the city of Toronto dinner and drinks included,” reads the Fords’ letter. It includes a box of “sample rebate calculations,” noting donations are eligible for “generous tax rebates from the city of Toronto” after the Oct. 27 municipal election."

http://t.co/0HcllQstXl

So, if you live in Vaughn, come to Rob's fundraiser the City of Toronto will refund $225 on the $300 ticket.

This fucking guy.

The venue is owned by a guy that was on Fantino's fundraising team. A developer I've mentioned before, he also holds the lease to the Hearn Power Plant, and stands to make some pretty good money in the Port Lands, going forward.

And then there's this:

"Councillor Doug Ford is praising the Ontario Provincial Police after the Star reported the force is stepping back from its investigation of his brother, Mayor Rob Ford, until new information is provided.
“I just want to thank the OPP for doing a proper investigation,” Ford said Thursday at Toronto City Hall."

The OPP didn't investigate jack shit, did they? They were brought in on an 'oversight' capacity. The investigation was still, in the hands of Giroux, Schertzer, etc. What's he on about here?

Last edited:
The venue is owned by a guy that was on Fantino's fundraising team. A developer I've mentioned before, he also holds the lease to the Hearn Power Plant, and stands to make some pretty good money in the Port Lands, going forward.

Tip of the hat to sno man!

"The Concord fundraiser costs $300 a ticket. “You will receive (a) $225 rebate from the city of Toronto dinner and drinks included,†reads the Fords’ letter. It includes a box of “sample rebate calculations,†noting donations are eligible for “generous tax rebates from the city of Toronto†after the Oct. 27 municipal election."

Of all Ford's faults, the way he and his staff butcher and abuse the English language in their communications bothers me far more than it should.

It's not a big thing in the grand scam of things but another sign of a great big feck you to rules. I can't wait until he eats shoots and leaves for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back