510     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 544     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 676     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the thread today with terrible macro images, unhelpful YouTube embeds and ludicrous comparisons to Detroit, it's pretty hilarious some people think UT is "better" than Twitter for interesting updates.

Last edited:
Reading the thread today with terrible macro images, unhelpful YouTube embeds and ludicrous comparisons to Detroit, it's pretty hilarious some people think UT is "better" than Twitter for interesting updates.

On Twitter you don't know what's bullshit and what isn't.

At least here you can be pretty comfortable with the fact that we're all bullshitting :)

Anyhow, it's Sunday, relax. Ford hasn't burned down a church or eaten a baby yet today.

Judge not, lest ye be judged, oh judgey judger Dubster! I am sure you have added to topics of conversation other than RF, during slow news times.

Also, I think the comparisons to Detroit are very prescient. Corruption and apathy were a big part of its demise, and we have loads in Toronto now.

uh right,

So putting my tinfoil hat on: remember how MM said the investigation involved a lot of high up officials? Well Jim Flaherty, defender of Rob Ford, just resigned out of the blue.

Mikhail Bakhtin, a Russian literary theorist and critic, identified fourteen distinct characteristics that are typical of Menippean satire throughout the ages. These include a comic or “carnival” element; freedom from accuracy with inventive plots and philosophical approaches; absurd situations used to seek, reveal, and test the truth of ideas rather than the human character; altered observational standpoints or states of consciousness that enable new perspectives on situations and life; deliberate violations of social conventions to create new awareness of old forms; mixed media forms and genres in which the medium itself assumes a significance beyond its content; and a heightened concern for contemporary issues and salient topics of the day (Bakhtin, 1984).

Menippean satiric style has been adopted by many writers, including Rabelais, Erasmus, Pope, Voltaire, Swift, Cervantes, Carroll, and Joyce. Today, comedian Jon Stewart’s The Daily Show with Jon Stewart demonstrates both the form and intent of Menippean satire. All of these writers share a common purpose. “Menippean satire mirrors a world that is in ceaseless motion and where nothing is certain… ts authors’ intentions seem, in nearly every case, to demonstrate the disabling and limiting conditions under which the human intellect operates” (Blanchard, 1995, p. 11). Eric McLuhan is more specific about the role Menippean satire plays in creating awareness among an otherwise oblivious public.

As an active form, a Menippean satire goes to any extreme necessary in order to frustrate objectivity or detachment on the part of the reader. … Cynics, and Diogenes in particular … were often referred to as ‘laughing philosophers,’ for they refused to take seriously any political, private, social, intellectual, or other kind of pretentiousness. (McLuhan, 1997, p. 5)

http://whatisthemessage.blogspot.ca/2006/02/menippean-moment-courtesy-of-cheney.html

Mikhail Bakhtin, a Russian literary theorist and critic, identified fourteen distinct characteristics that are typical of Menippean satire throughout the ages. These include a comic or “carnival” element; freedom from accuracy with inventive plots and philosophical approaches; absurd situations used to seek, reveal, and test the truth of ideas rather than the human character; altered observational standpoints or states of consciousness that enable new perspectives on situations and life; deliberate violations of social conventions to create new awareness of old forms; mixed media forms and genres in which the medium itself assumes a significance beyond its content; and a heightened concern for contemporary issues and salient topics of the day (Bakhtin, 1984).

Menippean satiric style has been adopted by many writers, including Rabelais, Erasmus, Pope, Voltaire, Swift, Cervantes, Carroll, and Joyce. Today, comedian Jon Stewart’s The Daily Show with Jon Stewart demonstrates both the form and intent of Menippean satire. All of these writers share a common purpose. “Menippean satire mirrors a world that is in ceaseless motion and where nothing is certain… ts authors’ intentions seem, in nearly every case, to demonstrate the disabling and limiting conditions under which the human intellect operates” (Blanchard, 1995, p. 11). Eric McLuhan is more specific about the role Menippean satire plays in creating awareness among an otherwise oblivious public.

As an active form, a Menippean satire goes to any extreme necessary in order to frustrate objectivity or detachment on the part of the reader. … Cynics, and Diogenes in particular … were often referred to as ‘laughing philosophers,’ for they refused to take seriously any political, private, social, intellectual, or other kind of pretentiousness. (McLuhan, 1997, p. 5)

http://whatisthemessage.blogspot.ca/2006/02/menippean-moment-courtesy-of-cheney.html

Which would be fine if the stuff posted was actually funny and not terrible. I also like how my Flaherty post was used against me, when I broke it here first and MM said almost exactly the same thing an hour later.

Which would be fine if the stuff posted was actually funny and not terrible. I also like how my Flaherty post was used against me, when I broke it here first and MM said almost exactly the same thing an hour later.

the point is, why post today if you just want to bitch? you're just sounding crabby. go for a walk or something.

Keep in mind that going back to '10 or so, my "Toronto nightmare under Ford" prospectus related more to Belfast or Beirut than to Detroit.

And keep in mind, too, that when it comes to bullies of this calibre, they can't win--either they get busted, or a bully-ee "snaps". Which is also why I've allowed for anything from assassination attempts to fertilizer-truck disasters in response to Fordlandia...

Please Don't Eat Me .jpg
On Twitter you don't know what's bullshit and what isn't.

At least here you can be pretty comfortable with the fact that we're all bullshitting :)

Anyhow, it's Sunday, relax. Ford hasn't burned down a church or eaten a baby yet today.

Attachments

• Please Don't Eat Me .jpg
    Please Don't Eat Me .jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 494
The "gravy train" urtext:

I always found that video hilarious when put in context with his term as mayor. He's bitching about free Metropasses when all that amounts to is a infinitesimal subsidy to the TTC (which is underfunded anyway). Bitching about free parking passes... Unless the lots are full, and they're usually not, that's not actually costing the city anything. But if we talk about "his record", we've got over a billion of unnecessary spending on the transit file (going against the experts' analysis), that ridiculous cost for removing the bike lane on Jarvis (going against the experts' analysis), increased user fees, service cuts/attempted service cuts...

But no folks, the millions and billions don't matter. What really matters is that the city gives councillors some perks worth a few hundred dollars a month at most. Real big picture thinker.

It makes me angry just thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back