News   Jul 16, 2024
 527     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally. I'm so sick of hearing the words:

"I'm not perfect. Maybe you are. Maybe you guys have never done anything wrong." Ugh. No more! How many months have we heard that guy deliver that terrible line? Over and over.

He's definitely not getting all the way to October with it. People are already laughing at how stupid it is. Hopefully one of the other candidates will start throwing it back in his face by saying things like:

"Rob, I'm not perfect either--but i don't smoke crack cocaine"

"Rob, I'm not perfect either--but i'm not under police investigation"

or any other version of same:

I'm not perfect either--but i don't associate with criminals and gang members
I'm not perfect either--but i don't have a driver who's been charged with extortion
I'm not perfect either--but i haven't repeatedly appeared in public intoxicated
I'm not perfect either--but the police haven't been called to my house over 20 times
I'm not perfect either--but i don't drive drunk

etc...

Anyway, killing this ridiculous "talking point" is very low hanging fruit, and the sooner it happens the better.

Perhaps, but I talked to quite a few people who think Ford is terrific, at least until recently (they're much quieter now), but I don't know all that many who say the kids are a blessing and miracle line.

I suspect a lot of the "blessed and miracle" crowd might be religious socons, including a lot of the nonwhite/ethnoburban crowd Ford's been chumming up with through evangelical church visits, etc...

He's definitely not getting all the way to October with it. People are already laughing at how stupid it is. Hopefully one of the other candidates will start throwing it back in his face by saying things like:

"Rob, I'm not perfect either--but i don't smoke crack cocaine"

"Rob, I'm not perfect either--but i'm not under police investigation"

or any other version of same:

I'm not perfect either--but i don't associate with criminals and gang members
I'm not perfect either--but i don't have a driver who's been charged with extortion
I'm not perfect either--but i haven't repeatedly appeared in public intoxicated
I'm not perfect either--but the police haven't been called to my house over 20 times
I'm not perfect either--but i don't drive drunk

etc...

Anyway, killing this ridiculous "talking point" is very low hanging fruit, and the sooner it happens the better.

Reminds me of Michael Thompson at council: "I have no interest in that house. I do not smoke crack cocaine."

Wow. How could Rob not go ballistic to that one. That would be something.

Edit: if he could hold it together, though, he'd really be able to lay down a big fat "victim" card. Play up his story as one of overcoming adversity to serve the taxpayer. Gotta be careful with this stuff.

I was trying to be funny, there are both serious and intentionally funny questions, as long as these debates are open events I would hope some of our more local folk would "belly up to the bar" to create a continuing saga where he's asked obviously ridiculous slanted questions where he has no decent answer, maybe we can get him to speak in tongues again.

My hope is to have people so inflame him he stops debating and relegate him as the fringe candidate he is.

I was trying to be funny, there are both serious and intentionally funny questions, as long as these debates are open events I would hope some of our more local folk would "belly up to the bar" to create a continuing saga where he's asked obviously ridiculous slanted questions where he has no decent answer, maybe we can get him to speak in tongues again.

My hope is to have people so inflame him he stops debating and relegate him as the fringe candidate he is.

I get that you're being absurd, but what's even more absurd is how easy it is for Ford to brush off even the most brazen attack. "I've had my troubles. I'm not perfect, are you perfect? I'm working out and feeling great. I'm healthy as a horse. Fit as a fiddle. And I'm watching every dime at city hall."

What I want someone to ask at the next debate:
"Police have been called to your residence over a dozen times for domestic disputes. When you allegedly beat your wife, were you in a drunken stupor or was it crack, or both?"

Last edited:
"Police have been called to your residence over a dozen times for domestic disputes. When you allegedly beat your wife, were you in a drunken stupor or was it crack, or both?"
In all seriousness, the way to get Ford is going to be relentlessly asking him about why he hired and spent his days with Sandro Lisi.

A digression from Ford, but doesn't it seem a bit weird to say that only the rich are allowed to procreate? Procreation is fundamental function of biology, and money is an artificial construct. And kids are only "expensive" because the society we've constructed lacks the essential supports for families. What's next, round up those below a certain income level and neuter them? This is absolutely a Ford Nation/neo-con argument.

It's most certainly not a "neo con" argument. Nothing personal, but people need to stop throwing around buzzwords without knowing what they actually mean. In the case of "neo con," it's usually nearly the opposite.

"I can't speak about a matter that's before the courts"
Obviously

Don't let him off so easily. His association with Lisi can be answered without affecting Lisi's case. After all, Hizzoner hasn't been charged.

He Shirley can explain why he had daily contact with a trusted employee that had previous convictions for uttering death threats and dealing drugs. Someone just needs to beat him over his fat porcine head with it.

I would be really uncomfortable with someone bringing that up in a public setting. We don't know the circumstances, we barely know anything about Renata, there are kids involved etc. As unseemly as it is, for me that crosses a line. Publicly accusing him of beating her takes it to a whole other level.

I would be really uncomfortable with someone bringing that up in a public setting. We don't know the circumstances, we barely know anything about Renata, there are kids involved etc. As unseemly as it is, for me that crosses a line. Publicly accusing him of beating her takes it to a whole other level.

On the other hand, would you really want someone who commits domestic abuse and otherwise terrorize their spouse be mayor? Privacy is not a foil for behaviour as such - it would be abetting abuse.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back