3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 656     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you listened to something like "Jive" or a similar slang? Robbie infers to have grown up on "the streets" and that is how he speaks to his "friends". Is it a jump that the slang he uses is different between areas, ever wonder why he and his brother call each other "Jones"?

(Also, I never mentioned "80 year old birds", I did not go that far into Robbie's speech, maybe you should collect your thoughts before posting.)

Todays slang is based on slang going back quite a few years, and in this case, this specific slang Robbie is uttering is similar to slang from a certain time period. The problem with interpretation is that some people use current pop culture to translate. People will also use alternative meanings, and mix slang to keep things secret from those not in the know.

Yea but again, you're speculating in a completely idiosyncratic and subjective way.

You've mindbendingly speculated that:

“Birds, especially "little birds" is a reference to "children" or the young, especially those with a low IQ or immature.â€
"Like this is fucked" is also easy, today we would use terms like FUBAR. There is a situation that is becoming, or is out of control.
"Daddy" traditionally denotes a "father figure" or someone who is in charge of the present situations, or someone who is in an ownership. "Daddy" can also be seen used like "dude", but if it is a salutation then the former would apply.

You’ve also postulated that the speech in the murder rant is:

“Similar to Jive from the 20's through to the late 40'sâ€

I’m sorry but the idea that Rob Ford is influenced by African-American city slang from the early 20th century is about as believable as saying you think Rob Ford reads Allen Ginsberg in a zoot suit.

Anyway the point is, you find these ideas interesting. Fine, have at it. I actually find them interesting too. But don’t harshly dismiss the posts of other people who are genuinely making an effort to contribute to the thread in ways that they (and others) find interesting.

As for “tool bag� Right.

It's to ensure Rob actually shows up. Also, they need time for LeDrew to edit everyone's answers for a prime time repeat.

Just checked and it's actually Gord Martineau who will be hosting, not LeDrew! Whew!

Actually I would have preferred Stephanie Smyth but hey, at least it's not LeDrew.

TPS will call his lawyer, explain the charges, and give Ford the option of turning himself in at the station.

Ford may very well refuse, forcing the frog march in order to look like a victim, much like with his staged media gauntlets.

Either way it is going to be a zoo! I'm expecting alot of "innocent until proven guilty" rhetoric being spewed by the brothers over the coming months.

My optimal debate is one in which Ford gets whatever his allotted time is to talk about his weight loss and waste how people should judge him on his record blah blah - but then one of the other candidates respond to his point; Socknacki, Tory, Chow and Stintz just pretend he doesn't exist. Obviously you can't debate him on any substantive issue and any one of those people (even Stintz!) trying to explain to him that he didn't save $1B would be like you trying to explain Marxist theory to a firefly - so they might as well just go at each other. Just treat him like some dude who snuck and somehow convinced the producers to let him on air but who is otherwise meaningless to the issues you are discussing.

There's going to be a lot of debates so it will be interesting to see how their attitudes towards Ford start and evolve. It would also be interesting to see if some debate hosts (like, say, the board of trade) try not to invite Ford at all.

On the one hand, I presume Tory (who is just looking much worse than I expected so far) is getting the same kind of advice from Kouvalis a hockey player would give his teammates about the goalie he used to play with. Really, Ford is a big, walking weak spot, except that hitting him anywhere has no effect; you can't actually score any points off him because he's so obtuse. But to sum up, he overshadows this mayoral race by default but is actually a non-player in the real fight. He should be treated as such.

For the debate tomorrow, I understand questions about Rob's personal life, personal time and personal addictions are off limits. Policy questions not directly related to saving the taxpayers a billion dollars are off limits. TPS, OPP and RCMP questions are off limits. Documents and tapes before the courts are off limits. After hours activities at city hall are definitely off limits. Chief Blair questions are off limits. Doug Ford questions are off limits. Sandro Lisi questions, as per usual, will get either a stone-cold stare or a well-deserved punch in the face. Anything else?

Last edited:
Last election the debates on CP24 were hosted by Ben Mulroney and moderated by LeDrew. A double whammy of crap. Hopefully won't happen again.

Apparently hosted by Gord Martineau. I'm not sure if that also means he is moderating it. It seems like an odd time to have the debate though. I'll be taping it.

Ford is shouting in chamber, again. Time to bring out the tranquilizer darts?

reporterdonpeat 3:46pm via Web
"Mr. Mayor, I chair this meeting" Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly trying to calm Mayor Rob Ford down.

Shawn_Jeffords 3:46pm via Web
McConnell rises, asks for a point of order. Mayor Ford rises, shouts, you can't have a point of order, you're not on the committee.

Shawn_Jeffords 3:46pm via Web
Coun. Perks warns McConnell to be careful, the mayor might knock her over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back