199     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 381     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet no one has raised any issues with the fact that our Mayor is driving around in a brand new Caddy that is owned by a private company and was given to him as a birthday present. I know it's his family's business, but that still doesn't sit well with me. What if it was his cousin's company? or his cousin's friend's company? or his cousin's friend's neighbour's company?

At what point is it not OK for a politician to accept a Cadillac as a birthday present from a for-profit business?

More importantly is whether or not his driver is a City employee?
What is the liability and duties tied to a City employee driving around a private vehicle.
If he is a City employee he should be accountable for HIS whereabouts at all times - no?

Yet no one has raised any issues with the fact that our Mayor is driving around in a brand new Caddy that is owned by a private company and was given to him as a birthday present. I know it's his family's business, but that still doesn't sit well with me. What if it was his cousin's company? or his cousin's friend's company? or his cousin's friend's neighbour's company?

At what point is it not OK for a politician to accept a Cadillac as a birthday present from a for-profit business?

The Escalade is owned by a leasing company (the lessor) and leased by Deco (the lessee). Doug told one reporter that he and Randy got it for Rob as a gift. (That was a lie.) On the same day, Rob told a different reporter that he had saved up the funds to buy it. (That was a lie.) (They frequently lie off the cuff and therefore often tell different lies on the same subject simultaneously.) Rob has received the use of the Escalade (not the ownership). The question is: who is making the lease payments? Are they being taken out of money that Deco otherwise would pay to Rob, or is he otherwise reimbursing Deco for the lease payments? If not then…..

Wiser for him to use the Escalade than a City-owned car with GPS installed.

Yes - and this is the epitome of what can be concurrently intriguing and frustrating about him: did he work it out for himself (or at least have someone point out to him) that he would not want to be tracked, as he would be if he used an 'official' car, or did he just stumble into avoiding that by carrying on with his long-standing act about 'squeezing every nickel until the beaver farts'? (All he did was switch from the van he was driving when elected to the cross-over - and for all we know [I do not recall anyone checking this] the van probably was leased by Deco too.)

Last edited:
Yes - and this is the epitome of what can be concurrently intriguing and frustrating about him: did he work it out for himself (or at least have someone point out to him) that he would not want to be tracked, as he would be if he used an 'official' car, or did he just stumble into avoiding that by carrying on with his long-standing act about 'squeezing every nickel until the beaver farts'? (All he did was switch from the van he was driving when elected to the cross-over - and for all we know [I do not recall anyone checking this] the van probably was leased to Deco too.)

Because imagine the commotion if Rob was found exchanging envelopes with Lisi using a city owned vehicle...?

Further to that - "Expectation of Privacy" when using a City owned vehicle is "non-existent".

Maybe the Bros. Ford did this "Free Escalade" gift to RoFo as a strategy - not as a gift...

Yes - and this is the epitome of what can be concurrently intriguing and frustrating about him: did he work it out for himself (or at least have someone point out to him) that he would not want to be tracked, as he would be if he used an 'official' car, or did he just stumble into avoiding that by carrying on with his long-standing act about 'squeezing every nickel until the beaver farts'? (All he did was switch from the van he was driving when elected to the cross-over - and for all we know [I do not recall anyone checking this] the van probably was leased by Deco too.)

I don't know if he does or not, but he is entitled to claim mileage ( I remember it was 52 cents per Km back in 2005 ).

Aren't licence plates sometimes referred to as "tags"?

As in, "DECO Labels and Tags"?
http://www.decolabels.com/

Not commonly in Ontario at least, it was common in the U.S. I have known some who did/do call the stickers on your plates "tags".

Because imagine the commotion if Rob was found exchanging envelopes with Lisi using a city owned vehicle...?

Further to that - "Expectation of Privacy" when using a City owned vehicle is "non-existent".

Maybe the Bros. Ford did this "Free Escalade" gift to RoFo as a strategy - not as a gift...

And it's real Gangsta.
:D

Last edited:

But - as I pointed out - he already was driving a non-City-owned van before the cross-over came along and replaced it. So, if there was any strategic decision-making it would have had to have been at the point when he first became the mayor, not when the Escalade came along to replace the van (since the point at which 'normally' he would have stopped driving himself as a councillor and started being driven in an 'official' car was the day he was sworn in as the mayor.)

Last edited:
But he could only legitimately claim mileage to offset a cost he was incurring - i.e., if Deco in fact is paying for everything and not being reimbursed by Rob then it would be a cheat for him to claim the allowance. That said, I expect he is not claiming it, for the same reason he claims little or no office expenses.

BTW: Is there a public record of what reimbursement or allowance claims are submitted by the mayor and councilors?

But - as I pointed out - he already was driving a non-City-owned van before the cross-over came along and replaced it. So, if there was any strategic decision-making it would have had to have been at the point when he first became the mayor, not when the Escalade came along to replace the van (since tthe point at which 'normally' he would have stopped driving himself as a councillor and started being driven in an 'official' car was the day he was sworn in as that mayor.)

I've seen Toronto's official limo in the City Hall garage as recently as 2009, when I retired.

But, Mayor Miller took the subway to work every day - not just for show, he really did. So, that set the stage for Ford to use his own car.

Reminds me of how sometimes we would be sent to other work locations. You could take a city vehicle, or they would send a taxi. Some guys would volunteer to "take my own vehicle." They loved you for saying that.

What they didn't say however was that some of these vehicles were bicycles! :D

And it's real Gangsta.:D

Well, to be truly gansta wouldn't he have to get those hubcaps that have a 'floating' mount so that don't revolve when the wheels are in motion? (Doug: Yeah, f*ckin' classy!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back