220     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 400     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 459     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
And in the meantime? And with what money?

Oh I don't... Silly me thought that as Canada being one of the world's wealthiest nations would have money for such things.. Guess not.

Or Ontario for that matter.. Wait what? We're throwing $5 billion for streetcars in the suburbs? Ah, well there's your reason, darling.

A subway.. but that'll never happen since nobody seems to know how to build a transit system in this country.

What about Montreal and Vancouver?
Both have very good transit systems.
And in some areas a subway would be a waste of money, which is why LRT is being put in.. like Eglinton.
A subway costs 3x as much money to build, and it isn't even needed. This is the "gravy train" that Ford said he'd stop.

What about Montreal and Vancouver?
Both have very good transit systems.
And in some areas a subway would be a waste of money, which is why LRT is being put in.. like Eglinton.
A subway costs 3x as much money to build, and it isn't even needed. This is the "gravy train" that Ford said he'd stop.

Montreal's subway system, aside from the horrible frequencies, runs laps around ours. Vancouver managed to build a majority underground line in just 4 years from announcement.

Here's the difference - both these cities aren't throwing their entire apples in the LRT basket. Save Transit City? I say kill it. The city has spoken and the overwhelming majority wants subways.

Oh I don't... Silly me thought that as Canada being one of the world's wealthiest nations would have money for such things.. Guess not.

Or Ontario for that matter.. Wait what? We're throwing $5 billion for streetcars in the suburbs? Ah, well there's your reason, darling.

And replacing existing streetcars with busses achieves new subway lines how exactly?

Montreal's subway system, aside from the horrible frequencies, runs laps around ours. Vancouver managed to build a majority underground line in just 4 years from announcement.

Here's the difference - both these cities aren't throwing their entire apples in the LRT basket. Save Transit City? I say kill it. The city has spoken and the overwhelming majority wants subways.

And Eglinton Crosstown will run in an underground subway and will have the same size trains as the Montreal and Vancouver. Just that the power supply is overhead and have low floors. And the Eglinton will be capable of running under automatic computer control while underground, like Vancouver and the SRT.

Considering I've spent the last 6 months-ish of my life doing work for Transit City and stressing over it, I would like it if it wasn't all in vain..

But the people of the city also don't know what they want..
They want subways, yet they want less wasteful spending.. This would be wasteful spending though, trust me many, many studies were done, and it (the Eglinton Crosstown line anyway) doesn't need a subway.
The amount of people that would use it is right around the capacity for an LRT line, but would fill maybe half a subway.
The underground sections of the ECLRT could easily be converted to a subway if it was needed in the next few years, and it would allow the TTC to see if one is needed in that time.

Although I agree for such a large and important city as Toronto, we don't have a good transit system at all, I think Transit City is what the city needs for now.

And Eglinton Crosstown will run in an underground subway and will have the same size trains as the Montreal and Vancouver. Just that the power supply is overhead and have low floors. And the Eglinton will be capable of running under automatic computer control while underground, like Vancouver and the SRT.

See Eglinton being the first line either converted into a subway or axed.

Mark my words!

Definitely not axed. Converted maybe in a few years when one is needed.

I see it converted into a subway in the next few months. As easy as the conversion is all that is necessary is engineering the stations to have them extended and platforms raised.

Ford wants his subways, McGuinty has already thrown millions at this line and being so easy to convert, he'll do it.

I see it converted into a subway in the next few months. As easy as the conversion is all that is necessary is engineering the stations to have them extended and platforms raised.

Ford wants his subways, McGuinty has already thrown millions at this line and being so easy to convert, he'll do it.

As I said in post # 497, a subway is not needed right now. The amount of people who would use it would fill maybe half a subway.
This is the ridiculous unnecessary spending that Ford said he'd stop. If it isn't needed, don't build it. That is why Transit City is putting an LRT in instead of a subway.
An LRT would cover the numbers while being 1/3 the cost.

As I said in post # 497, a subway is not needed right now. The amount of people who would use it would fill maybe half a subway.
This is the ridiculous unnecessary spending that Ford said he'd stop. If it isn't needed, don't build it. That is why Transit City is putting an LRT in instead of a subway.
An LRT would cover the numbers while being 1/3 the cost.

Cost estimates for the LRT tunnel and full subway vary by a negligible amount. I'm saying axe the rest of Eglinton and build the funded, tunnel part as a subway. I see that as being politically palatable for both sides.

A 12km midtown subway crossing the middle of Toronto would be seen as a huge win for Ford. That's already significantly longer than the 5.5km Sheppard abortion.

This would be wasteful spending though, trust me many, many studies were done, and it (the Eglinton Crosstown line anyway) doesn't need a subway.

The amount of people that would use it is right around the capacity for an LRT line, but would fill maybe half a subway.

If it is "right around the capacity for an LRT line" unless ridership is expected to shrink isn't this the time to build a subway?

Cost estimates for the LRT tunnel and full subway vary by a negligible amount. I'm saying axe the rest of Eglinton and build the funded, tunnel part as a subway. I see that as being politically palatable for both sides.

A 12km midtown subway crossing the middle of Toronto would be seen as a huge win for Ford. That's already significantly longer than the 5.5km Sheppard abortion.

While depriving nearly 20km of the Eglinton LRT route that will be stuck with buses and won't be getting better LRT, let alone subway, while providing negligible difference in service and capacity to the tunnel section will be a huge win how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back