198     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 844     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 545     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless she plans to live there. We know how much she liked living with Jack in subsidized housing.

Will Sloan ‏@WillSloanEsq 7m
What I like about Rob Ford is, his opponents spend months carefully working out campaign strategies, and Rob basically just flings poop.

I just saw someone from Stintz's campaign on CP24 bring up the "subsidized housing" thing, a conservative asshole talking point that's been so thoroughly debunked (here and in other places) that any mention of it is flat-out trolling at this point.

More on the story ( with sources ) here:

Layton and Chow were also the subject of some dispute when a June 14, 1990, Toronto Star article by Tom Kerr accused them of unfairly living in a housing cooperative subsidized by the federal government, despite their high income.[36] Layton and Chow had both lived in the Hazelburn co-op since 1985, and lived together in an $800 per month three-bedroom apartment after their marriage in 1988. By 1990, their combined annual income was $120,000, and in March of that year they began voluntarily paying an additional $325 per month to offset their share of the co-op's Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation subsidy, the only members of the co-op to do so. In response to the article, the co-op's board argued that having mixed-income tenants was crucial to the success of co-ops, and that the laws deliberately set aside apartments for those willing to pay market rates, such as Layton and Chow.[37] During the late 1980s and early 1990s they maintained approximately 30% of their units as low income units and provided the rest at what they considered market rent. In June 1990, the city's solicitor cleared the couple of any wrongdoing,[38] and later that month, Layton and Chow left the co-op and bought a house in Toronto's Chinatown together with Chow's mother, a move they said had been planned for some time.[39] Former Toronto mayor John Sewell later wrote in NOW that rival Toronto city councillor Tom Jakobek had given the story to Tom Kerr.[40]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Layton#Toronto_City_Council

Thanks for setting the record straight, again. It's clearly not subsidized for you if you can afford to pay the market rate plus some extra to offset the subsidy.

Disappointing that Stintz would try to make something of this dead horse, but then not really surprising. She's got nothing so far.

I just saw someone from Stintz's campaign on CP24 bring up the "subsidized housing" thing, a conservative asshole talking point that's been so thoroughly debunked (here and in other places) that any mention of it is flat-out trolling at this point.
I know! I'm truly surprised that it was brought up by anyone other than Ford. I may not like Stinz and her flip-flopping, but I thought her smart enough to be able to Google this before calling it a 'fact'.

I know! I'm truly surprised that it was brought up by anyone other than Ford. I may not like Stinz and her flip-flopping, but I thought her smart enough to be able to Google this before calling it a 'fact'.

She (and her team) know full well it's not a fact. That's what makes it odious.

Oh, I was wrong. Ford was not the first with the subsidized housing myth.

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 4m
Stintz spox on CP24 right now taking shots at Chow. Brings up fact she used to live in subsidized housing. "She's a double-dipper"

Actually if I recall correctly they lived in a Housing Co-op that had controlled rent (like all co-ops do). Co-ops are split between subsidized housing (ODSP/Welfare) and market rent (non-subsidized but rents are low). When the fact that Chow and Layton were living in a "market rent/low rent" unit they agreed it was time to vacate and moved out.

Big difference between "double dipping" and living in a Co-op... Stinz either should know this or is lying on purpose. If she doesn't know the difference she should not be running for Mayor - let alone be on Council.

I'm not so sure it's weird to steal the phone. First of all, it could have all kinds of interesting info a rival dealer/gang member could use. Second, if he saw Smith using the phone (the ITO says he was texting, possibly also talking, with Liban Siyad), well, those calls and texts are probably "hey guess who's here at the club" and identifying him. And then minutes later Smith is dead. So those calls/texts give a clue to the identity of the killer(s). So you don't want to leave that evidence for police.

The ITO suggests it was Smith who initiated the confrontation (pg 12-14). But the ITO also says the motive for Smith's murder was "also detailed during interceptions, and revealed the murder may have been retaliation for SMITH and his associates robbing MOHIADAN aka 'Post' last November."

So why is Smith wanting to kill this "Post" guy (who was apparently there with the shooter Hashimi)? It seems like they have more reason to be mad at Smith than he at them, yet he is the instigator? Maybe they stole his phone (with the video on it) sometime before that night, and the phone he had on him was a newer one.

Who's not to say that circumstances were helped along in such a way for a "convenient occurrence" that included Smith and his phone to occur???

Has anyone been keeping of R Ford's latest blitz on TCHC and supposed less than satifactory condition apartment buildings? It would nice to see a running list of those he has "visited".....

does it matter that its debunked?

if people are still willing to believe it its politically relevant to mention it.

Has anyone been keeping of R Ford's latest blitz on TCHC and supposed less than satifactory condition apartment buildings? It would nice to see a running list of those he has "visited".....

Someone on Twitter commented that in all of those visits to TCHC buildings, when he can't reach the residents, he's been leaving his business card and one of those magnets, but the magnets have his home phone number on it. So that pretty much clears up whether or not he's been campaigning during business hours.

if people are still willing to believe it its politically relevant to mention it.

Politically expedient, not politically relevant.

Not that Stintz has a hope in hell of winning, but it does speak to her integrity, or lack thereof, that she would bring this up.

People still believe that "carrots are good for your vision" which has been debunked as a wartime fiction, so they'll believe just about anything if it's repeated enough times.

Bingo.

Gravy train was debunked, billion dollars in savings was debunked, but Ford continued to mention them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back