3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 660     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hollywood North was always the term given to Vancouver. During the 90's, it seemed to have much more appeal to filmmakers than Toronto.
Maybe recently in the 1990s, but I heard the phrase referring to Toronto in the 1970s and 1980s, long before I ever heard mention of movie/TV production in Vancouver.

Being in the Toronto film industry I have to say that it's Toronto that I've heard referred to as "Hollywood North" although both Toronto and Vancouver are big production hubs (as well as Montreal getting the occasional Hollywood movie). The pendulum swings back and forth between TO and Van as to which currently has more active productions. Just did a quick search and Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_North seems to say it applies to either one though.

However, the best part about this is Hollywood is PISSED about "runaway production", so unless you're pitching directly to the studio guys who control the money, you're not gonna get a very warm welcome from the L.A. film industry...Not that I should be concerned. It's not like Ford is ACTUALLY promoting Toronto. Just another one of his pro-Ford soundbites to make his starfucking vacation look like it's all in a day's job for the mayor of Toronto.

Maybe the media could find a former supporter who lives in low income housing who tried to reach out to Rob only to find out that he voted against the funding. The media needs to come up with a different narrative to counter his. The media needs to find a way to inform his base exactly who Ford is, not what Ford says he is.

I agree that the media need to challenge these Ford supporters they keep interviewing. Get their opinions on the whole picture, not just their statements about how great he is. However, as has been seen repeatedly, they don't actually care about the facts. Whenever you confront a Ford supporter with information they contradicts what they say, they go radio silent or keep repeating the talking points.

I think some folks are underestimating US observers of the Ford fiasco. Most of us are not laughing, and we know who the players are from the sane side (Kelley, Wynne, Blair, etc.) to the crazy side (including names ending in o’s and i’s). We know more about CAN politics now that ever before, from ridings to by elections. And we’ve certainly elected our share of idiots and cringed while traveling overseas. BTW, I sure like Johnny Au’s choice of a birthday arrest for Ford.

Someone on Reddit yesterday guessed that Ford's appearance on the show would be an "intervention". Maybe the surprise guest will be Diane and that's also why both brothers are there. As far-fetched as that sounds given that it's Kimmel and not Oprah, I wouldn't put it past them, though I don't know what the Oscars tie-in would be.

Doug and Diane have consistently denied that Rob has any kind of substance abuse problem. No way they're going to participate in an "intervention".

Doug and Diane have consistently denied that Rob has any kind of substance abuse problem. No way they're going to participate in an "intervention".

I agree. Some have even gone so far as to call Doug an enabler.

"Later in their radio show on Sunday, a caller accused Doug of enabling Rob’s apparently addictive behaviour. Doug said, “I’m not an enabler. No one, no one beats down Rob more than I do.” "
http://www.thegridto.com/city/politics/worst-brother-ever/

Focusing on weight-loss, which for a man of his size could bring dramatic results ( such as the non-surgical, medically supervised Optifast program ), takes attention from other things.

Last edited:
While I don't live in Toronto, it makes me so upset that Rob Ford is the Mayor. Politics on all levels has become an angry divisive thing. When people feel they have no voice they lash out. With the way the economy has become, people are feeling stuck in a pattern of hopelessness. The more a politician plays with the idea that they are fighting against the system, the more supporters feel connected to them. Look at the Harper government, for years they were flying under the radar as a minority government. They lulled people into a false sense of security, they weren't as bad as the media and pundits led us to believe, until they got their Majority government and now we have no say in what is happening to our veterans and our post office and our voting act.
Rob Ford is counting on his message that he is still the best despite his foibles all while being the complete opposite. He still controls the message to his base.

Maybe I should. Let's see how it plays out.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure I'd even recognize Kimmel in a police line-up. Let me guess ... American late-night network TV host. Male and white, right?

Unless he's Chelsea Handler or Arsenio Hall.

So a clearer picture is emerging as to what cops are investigating Ford for. They're apparently focusing solely on proving that Ford conspired with Sandro to extort those guys for the video, and they're pretty close to wrapping that up. They have a range of other leads that Giroux wants to pursue after, thus his comment that in his opinion there's still a lot of work to do.

I'll be pissed if that's all he's charged with and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Don't be a fool. The rest of the world is laughing at Ford because he's a clown and a front-row view to a freakshow. They're laughing at "us" because we allowed this cartoonish figure to somehow sleaze his way into a position of power when he's obviously unqualified to tie his own shoes. The Liberals, whatever their many faults, are a mainstream political party, and as such, are entirely normal, even in their less savory aspects. Ford, on the other hand, has practically emerged full-blown from an episode of Family Guy. It's little wonder the American media love him.
...and last year's Oscar host was the creator of said cartoon.

I always wondered why Ford did not go to last year's Oscars.

If Rob Ford (or an ersatz) shows up on Family Guy, I will not be surprised at all.

I thought because cops used the Cessna they must be looking at some large criminal network. Turns out it was partly because they couldn't get a warrent for a tracker initially.

Thanks Jimmi, you can bet that Lisi kept recordings of conversations about the video. Let's hope that TPS lay charges sooner than later (preferably on April 19, my pick in the arrest pool).

I'll be pissed if that's all he's charged with and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Yeah I agree that it would be disappointing. To a lot of people in the pro-Ford camp that's "barely even a crime". He threatened some nasty criminals in order to get back a video that they were using to potentially blackmail him. Completely understandable that he would do that and the nasty police and elites are just out to get him. (To be clear - that's not my opinion but that's how it will be spun).

Being in the Toronto film industry I have to say that it's Toronto that I've heard referred to as "Hollywood North" although both Toronto and Vancouver are big production hubs (as well as Montreal getting the occasional Hollywood movie). The pendulum swings back and forth between TO and Van as to which currently has more active productions. Just did a quick search and Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_North seems to say it applies to either one though.

However, the best part about this is Hollywood is PISSED about "runaway production", so unless you're pitching directly to the studio guys who control the money, you're not gonna get a very warm welcome from the L.A. film industry...Not that I should be concerned. It's not like Ford is ACTUALLY promoting Toronto. Just another one of his pro-Ford soundbites to make his starfucking vacation look like it's all in a day's job for the mayor of Toronto.

I'm going to defer to your knowledge and experience. I am one of those rare birds who has lived in Vancouver and Toronto and loves both cities (for different reasons). From what I understand, both cities attract productions because they have a skilled workforce who can get the job done - not something that every city can claim.I'm sure that both cities have often been referred to as "Hollywood North". This is where yours second point comes in. People in LA don't call either city "Hollywood North", but rather "Mexico North" in reference to perceived low-rate, unskilled talent.

However, as this is a Rob Ford forum, I'll finish by noting that the mayor of Toronto - even if he weren't a crack-addled moron - is powerless to attract productions to the city. Producers are already well aware of the facilities, locations and talent in Toronto and it's the provincial government that shovels out tax credits. I imagine that, were I a Hollywood producer and Rob Ford showed up at my office, I'd make a point of never shooting in Toronto.

Of course, this is all a moot point because he's not meeting with anybody. He has called it a #roadtrip. It is nothing like his Austin trip. The idea that he is selling Toronto as "Hollywood North" is nothing more than cover for when people ask why he isn't at work on Monday (or, realistically, Tuesday and possibly Wednesday).

ill put a "wishful thinking" arrest date of victoria day weekend (aka may 2-4 weekend, apt) as i was celebrating my own bday and the crack news during that long weekend last year (what a gift!!).

sounds like they are getting the noose good n' tight for robbie so giroux can get him solidly in the door and extremely vulnerable to prosecution. this would give them room to barter time behind bars for more info to catch the bigger fish, perhaps. although we know he's a) not a snitch and b) totally incapable of admitting anything.

So a clearer picture is emerging as to what cops are investigating Ford for. They're apparently focusing solely on proving that Ford conspired with Sandro to extort those guys for the video, and they're pretty close to wrapping that up. They have a range of other leads that Giroux wants to pursue after, thus his comment that in his opinion there's still a lot of work to do.

*sigh. It was all so much bigger in my imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back