350     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 508     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 630     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought "Hollywood North" was Vancouver.

Such an arbitrary title though. Just like Waterloo is supposed to be "Silicon Valley North" - yeah right...

And Ford is so dumb that he doesn't even know that people in California don't take kindly to having all their film and tv jobs moving across the border.

Arnold Schwarzenegger hated it when he was Gov.

But it is one of the things the Mayor of TO SHOULD be doing, promote our film industry......

As an American, I can assure you that Americans are laughing their asses off at your buffoonish crackhead mayor and 99.9% of us couldn't tell you squat about your provincial government.

What pisses me off is that they just think he's a funny clown. We know a lot more about the criminality and such, and it's a serious issue for the present and future of our city.

As someone who grew up in Vancouver, I can assure you that the "Hollywood North" nickname was first attached to that city. I'm pretty sure it specifically had to do with Stephen J. Cannell, who filmed shows like "21 Jump Street" there. This was before every jurisdiction (Ontario and BC included) started giving ridiculous tax credits for film and television production.

I believe more movies are now filmed in Toronto than Vancouver, but not by a large margin. Of course, Vancouver has nothing like TIFF, but that's not what the nickname refers to.

Ford doesn't know anything about the film industry. He appeared at some TIFF event, and when asked what movies he liked he couldn't think of anything but the five-year old American Gangster. Which is telling.

This guy's expression is great. It has a solid mockingness to it.

resize

What pisses me off is that they just think he's a funny clown. We know a lot more about the criminality and such, and it's a serious issue for the present and future of our city.

Bingo. They think he's Tommy Boy. I wish they knew about Anthony Smith, Project Traveller, Project Brazen 2, Sandro Lisi, etc., etc., etc.

I am not sure if they are laughing at us more for supporting the Provincial Liberals or supporting Ford - but they are laughing. And since support for the Liberals is twice as high as the support for Ford, I would say support for the former gets more laughter (or maybe anger) than support for the latter.

Don't be a fool. The rest of the world is laughing at Ford because he's a clown and a front-row view to a freakshow. They're laughing at "us" because we allowed this cartoonish figure to somehow sleaze his way into a position of power when he's obviously unqualified to tie his own shoes. The Liberals, whatever their many faults, are a mainstream political party, and as such, are entirely normal, even in their less savory aspects. Ford, on the other hand, has practically emerged full-blown from an episode of Family Guy. It's little wonder the American media love him.

It was people outside Toronto are laughing at "us" - which to me meant people in the rest of Ontario. At some point people here need to ask why Ford still gets support* and not just chatter like a bunch of schoolgirls.

The remaining support Ford still gets is entirely due to brute tribalism, exclusively from hypocritical mouth-breathers such as yourself, who'd be enraged at his antics if he weren't a reactionary moron. End of discussion.

I think the way the media has portrayed Ford as of late outshines his criminal behaviour. He has done stupid things and has become a sort of folk hero in the eyes of many who see politicians as out of touch elitists. While he is the definition of an elite, his ability to " relate" as a common man is cemented in stories about his blue collar behaviour. What the media needs to do is focus more on what he has not done for the city that he promised, how the city is becoming more expensive, less accessible and more divided under his administration. They need to focus on his administration 's lack of accountability, transparency and his failing to keep up with the demands because he is unavailable and incompetent.

Maybe the media could find a former supporter who lives in low income housing who tried to reach out to Rob only to find out that he voted against the funding. The media needs to come up with a different narrative to counter his. The media needs to find a way to inform his base exactly who Ford is, not what Ford says he is.

Maybe you should become a little more familiar with him before you make such an assumption.
Maybe I should. Let's see how it plays out.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure I'd even recognize Kimmel in a police line-up. Let me guess ... American late-night network TV host. Male and white, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back