380     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 683     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 440     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm struck by DiMatteo's suggestion that John Tory's actions could be read as some kind of sign relating to the investigation. If the press is really on the outside, why would DiMatteo assume that a candidate would be that far in? You'd think if politicians knew anything, the press wouldn't be far behind.

Yeah. I think Enzo is spending too much time dissecting entrails. The last thing the cops would do in a politically charged investigation like this one is use their info to influence the decisions of a potential candidate, IMO. Talk about a career-limiting move.

Powder cocaine in Toronto is anywhere from $60-80 per gram, with outliers depending on who you are and what kind of quality you want. Prices vary wildly but in my experience 80/g for good stuff unless you're buying in bulk. An addict can go through multiple grams per day, but that's a very serious habit to keep up physically if not monetarily. People who do less than that can pass as straight shooters but people who go through a gram or more a day have a hard time hiding it... This was like 2 years ago though, maybe things have changed.

Crack, not sure. It's cheaper, I know that, but can't say I ever ran in those circles.

I always used to hear, "Cocaine addiction is just god's way of telling you that you're too fucking rich."

Seriously?

Paul Moloney ‏@paulmoloney4 1h

City council votes 40-2 to put rainbow colours on two Church St. Crosswalks for World Pride. Mayor Rob Ford and Cllr Doug Ford opposed.

How much crack cocaine actually costs around the world
From cocaine to crack, the price varies heavily with time and place

http://o.canada.com/business/markets/the-low-cost-of-crack-around-the-world/

A couple of years ago I worked on a research project with people in a supported housing program. Most of them had used crack or were still using, and some of our interview questions assessed changes in their drug use before and after being in the program. With the caveat that it was a pretty small group and it was really, really hard for them to describe how much they used and how much they usually spent on drugs, the thing that jumped out at me was how a lot of it seemed to consist of favours or debts instead of cash. I don't know if there are many favours that Rob Ford could actually offer and deliver on to Toronto's crack dealers (I'm not counting the opportunities for blackmail), but I do wonder if promises are being made and if so, what they are. (Further caveat: I don't even smoke pot, so my practical knowledge of this side of life is obviously very limited relative to some of the other posters here.)

Rob makes the flag suggestion a few minutes after overhearing Norm Kelly make the same suggestion on council floor.

ddale8 11:41am via Web
Rob Ford arrives two hours late in chamber, rises to ask that the Canadian flag be lowered to half-staff to honour people killed in Ukraine.

On cue Mammo goes ballistic... again because honouring people being killed in Ukraine should be Rob's idea.

ddale8 11:51am via Web
Mammoliti is raging at the speaker. He wants council to vote on Ford's suggestion to lower the flag, not Kelly's motion to lower the flag.

It started with this:

Mayor Rob Ford ‏@TOMayorFord 5h

I am saddened to see the violence taking place in #Ukraine. #Toronto and #Canada are hoping for a peaceful resolution.

I was puzzled when I saw it as it seemed like a non-Fordian thing to say. Then I realized it was all part of a bigger plan.

Yeah. I think Enzo is spending too much time dissecting entrails. The last thing the cops would do in a politically charged investigation like this one is use their info to influence the decisions of a potential candidate, IMO. Talk about a career-limiting move.

Doubtful that 'The Cops' proper would even consider doing anything of the sort (The TPA is another story). And maybe DeMatteo is grasping. But Tory is probably as plugged into the Toronto legal community as one can be, if only by virtue of the family firm. There's apparently a good deal of chatter amongst the city's lawyers about all of this, so he may have a bit of an ear on the inside. If so, such info would surely factor into any decision he'll make.

Business fires in Etobicoke a few days before the Fords freak out over n Etobicoke BIA? Coincidence?

I've been wondering about this all day. Doug looked like he'd just been dumped by his first girlfriend and never saw it coming. My guess is the party told him he wasn't welcome and, thanks to his egotistical ways, couldn't believe/understand the rejection. Or, perhaps, he finally clued in that he messed up, big time. Whatever the case, I don't think Doug made his announcement because he wanted to. If his true ambition was to run Rob's campaign, he would have been breathing fire, not looking like someone with a wedgie.

This exactly. For all that Rob's supposed to be "the stupid one," it's worth keeping in mind that Doug-o isn't really all that much brighter. He's made no secret of his political ambitions, and that, combined with his general bullyboy manner, isn't going to endear him to the more 'respectable' type of politician, even someone like Tim Hudak. If DoFo were a bit more circumspect or subtle, or had the least sense of discretion, or if he were at least useful in some way to the political party he's so obviously expecting to commandeer as part of his own, personal, selfish, ego-crazed little exercise in empire building, then maybe he'd have tolerated/indulged. Somewhat. But he's none of those things.

I'd be willing to bet that (a.) he's been every bit as assholish towards those on his own side of the political aisle who've gotten in his way as towards anyone on the left, (and that we just haven't heard many details about that side of things), (b.) he's unnecessarily antagonized conservative politicos he would have done better to not piss off, (c.) Hudak loathes him, and (d.) that Douggie never saw the almost inevitable rejection coming at all. Like Slob, he's far too used to getting his way, so naturally, this would come as a shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back