News   Apr 17, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will see what happens...

I think that it is only a few million here and there, but I think in the end it will be add up to a rather large number.

Remember the attrition target of 3% by Ford and the right wing councilors is almost 300 million dollars.

Remember the attrition target of 3% by Ford and the right wing councilors is almost 300 million dollars.
Given that most of the City employees are police, fire, and TTC, it's hard to see how far the attrition can go; especially as there's been a similar policy in place for some years now. I guess the TTC Transit City department can all go ... but perhaps they will be needed to build the 3 subway lines Ford promised by 2015.

No, of course not. While the employees wages will be lower, there still needs to be 10% to 15% profit on the whole thing, to pay the owners of the private enterprise.

So we save little to nothing, reduce the wage of a lot of people, and make a very few people wealthy.

I guess a multi-millionaire who inherited a business might think it's a good idea.

As for streetcars ... is there a single councillor with streetcars in their ward ... east of the Humber at least, who favours removing the service? I can see there may be some justification for it on Kingston Road, or Lakeshore west of Humber ... but that's saves what, a half-dozen cars at peak-hour? We can change the current order from 204 to 200.

As i posted before, it's not the money for a lot of people, it's that the city can't be taken hostage next time the local 416 has a contract up. That's worth millions and millions in lost productivity for the rest of the city (remember people lining up for hours trying to throw out their garbage? That costs us).

As i posted before, it's not the money for a lot of people, it's that the city can't be taken hostage next time the local 416 has a contract up.
How does that have anything to do with contracting out. If the employees of the private enterprise decide to unionize and strike, then it's even worse than the current situation, as the city and province don't have the leverage to end the strike.

The big difference with this line is that it will be underground for 12km, effectively making it a subway for a decent portion of the route. The lack of interruptions makes it "rapid" transit, unlike the streetcars on Queen.

This is not the thread to argue the specifics of the Eglinton Line. We're talking about streetcars in general. They have their issues. Eglinton has its issues too. Better to go with the better long term plan: subways.

This is not the thread to argue the specifics of the Eglinton Line. We're talking about streetcars in general. They have their issues. Eglinton has its issues too. Better to go with the better long term plan: subways.
Best to go with something that we can both afford, and has the capacity to do the job, without restricting future options.

Remember the election was about stopping the gravy train, not extending it.

How does that have anything to do with contracting out. If the employees of the private enterprise decide to unionize and strike, then it's even worse than the current situation, as the city and province don't have the leverage to end the strike.

They won't be able to. Etobicoke's contract only lets firms with a 3 year labour agreement apply. The contact only lasts 3 years. So, if they wish to apply, the labour agreement has to be settled already. If they'd like to re-apply, they have to get another 3 year agreement put together, or it will be given out to a shop that can get one (I would imagine old Toronto would do something similar). Ta-da, no more strikes.

Last edited:
They won't be able to. Etobicoke's contract only lets firms with a 3 year labour agreement apply. The contact only lasts 3 years. So, if they wish to apply, the labour agreement has to be settled already. If they'd like to re-apply, they have to get another 3 year agreement put together, or it will be given out to a shop that can get one (I would imagine old Toronto would do something similar). Ta-da, no more strikes.

Just curious how many shops there are out there who have the manpower and vehicle capacity to take on the garbage contract for the entire city of Toronto? If there are problems with the existing contractor, how many other potential suppliers are there who can step in to the breach?

I guess you could try breaking it up by awarding contracts to service subsets of the city to different firms. But even then, how many firms are there with the capability to meet our needs? Is it really competition if there are only one, maybe two, potential suppliers?

Just curious how many shops there are out there who have the manpower and vehicle capacity to take on the garbage contract for the entire city of Toronto? If there are problems with the existing contractor, how many other potential suppliers are there who can step in to the breach?

I guess you could try breaking it up by awarding contracts to service subsets of the city to different firms. But even then, how many firms are there with the capability to meet our needs? Is it really competition if there are only one, maybe two, potential suppliers?

That's a good point. Before there are any moves made, this sort of thing will have to be examined (one would hope). Vehicle capacity shouldn't be a problem, as the city would be selling off it's garbage trucks, and they've got enough capacity to do the job. Perhaps it would be better to lease them for the duration of the contract to whichever contractor gets the job? This would greatly lower the barriers of entry to apply for the contract. Firms would only have to organize the labour.

Last edited:
The "Stop the gravy train" slogan reminded me of another winning campaign slogan "Common Sense Revolution". The conspiracy theorist in me, got me thinking and after connecting the dots, I have come to the conclusion that Rob Ford is the puppet and Mike Harris is the puppet master. Other puppets in Harris's suitcase? Tim Hudak, Jim Flaherty and Tony Clement. Harris's master plan. First we take Toronto, then we take Ontario and then, who knows what.

It's the only reasonably explanation as to why Ford ran mayor. Because let's face it, after last night's interview on CBC Radio's As it Happens, it is obvious that all Ford really wants to do is coach football.

the fact Miller found 100 million dollars under his seat at his office at city hall shows, there is a lot we don't know about the budget at that place.

The price of oil went down when the recession hit. With that, the price of asphalt and other oil by-products also went down. That is where the savings came from. They were budgeting for high prices for them, but since the prices went down, that is why they were able to save.

It is like budgeting for a new roof at 2008 prices, but because the price of asphalt shingles (another oil by-product) also went down, you got a better price this year.

Warning, the price of oil will be going back up. Today's low prices won't last.

Yes, there will be many group cringes over the next four years. I wonder if everyone in the city cringed at the same time, weather it would cause an atmospheric disturbance over city hall?

The price of oil went down when the recession hit. With that, the price of asphalt and other oil by-products also went down. That is where the savings came from. They were budgeting for high prices for them, but since the prices went down, that is why they were able to save.

Since city budgets are online, you you care to point out on which line you can see this?

Pick up and save all the Rob Ford for Mayor signs you can find on public property this week.

When the sidewalks or roads don't get plowed, stick a Rob Ford for Mayor sign in it.

When there is a public sector strike, stick a Rob Ford for Mayor sign beside them.

When libraries or swimming pools are closed, stick a Rob Ford for Mayor sign near it.

A line-up at transit stops, stick a Rob Ford for Mayor sign near it.

Unmowed, burn grass in a park, stick a Rob Ford for Mayor sign in it.

For any problem that Rob Ford will cause or be a party to, stick a Rob Ford for Mayor sign near it.

Sweet idea... :) I walked by a couple Monday night in the garbage...at the time I was thinking how great it was to see them in the garbage...I wished I had read your post earlier! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back