440     7 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 345     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 438     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I haven't read anything about misleading with regards to the flag, the articles are saying he didn't like it and would prefer to put there a Canadian flag instead.
"There"? By "there", do you mean the small community flagpole that regularly flies a wide variety of flags once they've been approved?

Full list is here.

You do know, of course, that the Canadian flag is still up on the tallest flagpole and that several other Canadian flags fly alongside all the provincial flag -- right? That no Canadian flags were harmed by the flying of yet another flag requested by the community on the special flagpole designated for that purpose?

Wow, is this your strongest argument, that I am being paid by someone? :) Fortunately, I can just refer you to the history, to avoid lengthy arguments:

"Some scholars believe that homosexual relationships, especially pederasty, were common only among the aristocracy, and that such relationships were not widely praised by the common people (demos). ... Other scholars, such as Victoria Wohl, emphasize that in Athens, same-sex desire was part of the "sexual ideology of the democracy," shared by the elite and the demos"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_ancient_Greece

I'm glad you have access to a computer with an internet connection. Good for you. But what the fuck does this have to do with anything? This is a thread about ROB FORD. Go away. No one cares what you think.

And if people can be influenced, it means people and society has the right to decide what influence they would like to propagate and support.

Exactly! And since Torontonians are overwhelmingly supportive of gay rights (in both the suburbs and downtown), we should be trying to influence the rest of the world to be tolerant of the LGBT community. Hence, it's quite fair to be critical of our political leaders when their actions are out of sync with our values. Ford campaigned on tax cuts and subways, not on suppressing expressions of LGBT support.

That's correct. All Ford said was that he'd prefer to raise on that community flagpole a Canadian flag instead of the rainbow flag.

And again, why is this an important issue to him now rather than in Summer 2012 when that flagpole flew the flags of Bolivia, Ecuador, and Jamaica? I don't think the Canadian flag ever actually flies on that pole since there are 8 Canadian flags right next to it: maybe on Canada Day?

You're also now having to lie to justify him. His exact words were: ""I've done everything I can to get the Canadian flag back up." Implying it was taken down.

Ford is being disingenuous about the mechanics of the courtesy pole and the number of Canadian flags flying at City Hall.

The evidence that culture or other types of nurture, have little to do with a persons sexual orientation is overwhelming. You are clearly masquerading your own homophobia behind the pretense that if homosexuality was merely some sort of social or cultural choice, it could be dismissed as unnatural, and thus immoral. Homosexuality, bisexuality, heterosexuality and assexuality are all natural conditions that should not be used as a means of discrimination. Only the pathetically uninformed, or willfully ignorant still cling to the limited notion that heterosexuality is the only normative human sexual condition.

There is no winning a debate with someone like that anyways. I've said my piece and added him to my ignore list. If you think this person is genuine or that they're ever going to change their mind, you're running a fools errand. If you want to try, be my guest.
The ignore list is one of the greatest features that is available in UT.

I have a few dozen people in there and is growing.

Trolls got bored of Sh!tter.

They are now invading our fortress.

Fortunately, we are armed with our tireless mods who patrol UT and cleanse it of trolls.

The ignore list is your friend. The best way to defeat trolls, aside from banning them, is to put them on the ignore list. There, they will starve.

Mods and admins cannot be put on the ignore list.

If trolls put us on their ignore list, they are starving themselves. Why? They will find out that there is nobody to talk to, except to mods and admins, who would ban them. Trolling is a very futile activity.

Last edited:
Well, the article that I read and referred to in my post had a different quote. So I guess the question is which quote is correct.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...oved-from-torontos-city-hall/article16750523/

“This is about the Olympics. This is about being patriotic to your country. This is not about someone’s sexual preference. No I do not agree with putting up the rainbow flag. We should put our Canadian flag up. I put my Canadian flag up in the window,” Mr. Ford said.

...no, he simply made multiple comments on the subject.

Rob Ford is facing a coming election and is working on creating a supporting base of voters. It looks like many people in Toronto would approve his position with the flag.

You used the words 'Rob Ford' and 'working' in the same sentence. That's hilarious. The only thing he's been working on for the last month is getting drank and/or high every chance he gets.

Rob Ford IS his own personal gravy train; the taxpayers pay him $175,000/year to work about 10-15 hours a week. His repeated truancy at City Hall has been well documented over the last 4 years. The taxpayers have been paying him to get drunk and stoned during business hours. Work barely even enters into the equation.

Rob Ford is facing a coming election and is working on creating a supporting base of voters. It looks like many people in Toronto would approve his position with the flag.

Correction. He's attempting to shore up his base with the exodus of center-right voters post crack scandal. His desperate play, triple down on homophobia and appeal to Toronto's least educated, and least civic-minded voters, with the hope they will put him back in the chair until (he gets locked up). The problem with the strategy is these lowest common denominator voters may seem fired up for their boy now, but aren't necessarily reliable bodies to count on come election day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back