103     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 463     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.2K     7 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah -- I did the same math when I heard Doug's claim. So let's say he did take calls every day of the year, and each of them averaged a short 2 minutes each. That would work out to over 700 minutes a day -- that is getting close to 12 hours for the day.

Or let's say each of them averaged 5 minutes -- that would be 30 hours a day.

Ford Math is a wonderful thing!

+1. That's a question/comment I've never heard a reporter ask Rob. "How long are each of these calls, on average? 5 minutes? Do you realize that adds up to a 30 hour day, with no time for eating or sleeping?"

Reading the excerpt from Doolittle's book about how the Fords thought they were like the Kennedy's almost made me spit out my cheerios. Really? Really?

Rob Ford’s unfortunate budget legacy so far

the 2015 budget has a massive hole in it, with surplus dollars unlikely to come to the rescue. Unless something drastic happens, residents next year could face one of the largest property tax increases since amalgamation. That’s where four years of Ford has left us. That’s his budget legacy. But it may be someone else’s problem to solve.

http://metronews.ca/voices/urban-co...7/rob-fords-unfortunate-budget-legacy-so-far/

During the Council budget debate on Wednesday, I think it was the City Manager who, when questioned, said next year's budget is going to be very tough, talking a 14% property tax increase outlook with 2016 looking a bit better, but still grim - and that includes a 10 cent TTC fare increase in 2015. There are no more efficiencies, revenue sources have been cut and surpluses depleted making a dramatic property tax increase a very real possibility.

It's discussed here, at about the 575:00 mark - http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?lid=237&rid=16&sid=1030&gid=125095

It's so weird---I can't find this video anywhere, but I definitely saw it on CP24 around 3 or 4 in the morning last night. It was broad daylight out side a building with Ford standing and talking with a few other guys in suits. Ford is smiling, and one of them pulls out a flask and starts drinking from it and (I think) passes it to one of the other guys. I could be mis-remembering that last part.

Did no one else see this?

No offence, but we'll have to see this video. Not to say that I don't believe you, I'm sure you saw what you saw, but why on earth would CP24 remove this video?

Well, CP24 would remove the video because they are as much a news station as ketchup is a vegetable.

Still, Ford drinking in broad daylight is huge. The Steak Queen story was big because Ford was drinking (or high) again just weeks after swearing off the sauce for good. (I mean, anyone with half a brain could have predicted this, but the media doesn't qualify as such). Evern more than meeting with Sandro Lisi, the story was about how Ford was probably drinking again. But there still wasn't video of him actually drinking. So why, when in possession of footage of Ford actually drinking (from a flask FFS), would this get pulled?

Also, I'm sure that CP24 didn't send anyone to Vancouver, so the footage was most likely shot by a Vancouver-based outlet. If CP24 had it, then either CityTV Vancouver or CTV Vancouver. Anything on their sites?

Yes, but I don't think those are the similarities they were trying to draw on; the Kennedy's had charisma and comparing the political power of a one-term MPP with a President (?)

Is there a member of the Kennedy family that doesn't have a post-secondary degree? Other than Rob's half year at Carleton, and their nephew is apparently at Humber, the Fords proudly eschew education. And God help us if there is ever a Robert B. Ford School of Government or RBF International Airport.

Yes, but I don't think those are the similarities they were trying to draw on; the Kennedy's had charisma and comparing the political power of a one-term MPP with a President (?)

Remember: Doug Sr. is more the *Joseph* Kennedy figure here. *Rob* is JFK.

I just don't understand why Dennis Morris would say the following (taken from NP article):
“I know them both. I’ve had many conversations with her and she does pooh pooh this as a means of trying to embarrass him and minimize him as a mayor,” said Mr. Morris. “He acknowledges now that he does have some difficulties in terms of substance abuse and that’s alcohol,” he added, but the lawyer maintains the mayor has “turned over a new leaf.”

Are they trying to discredit Ford's wife?

No offence, but we'll have to see this video. Not to say that I don't believe you, I'm sure you saw what you saw, but why on earth would CP24 remove this video?

Well, CP24 would remove the video because they are as much a news station as ketchup is a vegetable.

Still, Ford drinking in broad daylight is huge. The Steak Queen story was big because Ford was drinking (or high) again just weeks after swearing off the sauce for good. (I mean, anyone with half a brain could have predicted this, but the media doesn't qualify as such). Evern more than meeting with Sandro Lisi, the story was about how Ford was probably drinking again. But there still wasn't video of him actually drinking. So why, when in possession of footage of Ford actually drinking (from a flask FFS), would this get pulled?

Also, I'm sure that CP24 didn't send anyone to Vancouver, so the footage was most likely shot by a Vancouver-based outlet. If CP24 had it, then either CityTV Vancouver or CTV Vancouver. Anything on their sites?
I don't recall Ford drinking from the flask. The guys with him (or at least one them) were.

But again, apparently the footage has disappeared, so I guess it's irrelevant. Very strange that I can't find even a reference to it anywhere. I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it, because I remember staying up for another hour or so waiting for them to show it again, and they didn't. But, you know, don't go by me. If nothing turns up, chalk it up to an urban legend, I guess.

Last edited:
Other than Rob's half year at Carleton, and their nephew is apparently at Humber, the Fords proudly eschew education.
I can't find confirmation of this now, but I seem to remember reading that a couple of Doug's middle daughters are at Wilfrid Laurier. Krista went to Humber as well. Don't know where they've been heard to "proudly eschew education".

Last edited:
I just don't understand why Dennis Morris would say the following (taken from NP article):
“I know them both. I’ve had many conversations with her and she does pooh pooh this as a means of trying to embarrass him and minimize him as a mayor,” said Mr. Morris. “He acknowledges now that he does have some difficulties in terms of substance abuse and that’s alcohol,” he added, but the lawyer maintains the mayor has “turned over a new leaf.”

Are they trying to discredit Ford's wife?

If they aren't, it may mean that she's been persuaded to deny it, or that she genuinely has no memory of it (possibly due to drug or alcohol use?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back