82     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 831     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 962     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The life expectancy during the Roman Empire was about 28 years. By medieval times, with some provision of care, the life expectancy increased to around 33. By 1900, life expectancy increased to 50, by 1950 it increased to 65, and by 2000, in the West at least, it has increased to around 80.

So during the Roman Empire, by age 30, you would be an old man, or "elder" as is written in the books of the time.
Where is this information from? Never knew this.

Local evidence of this "average age" discussion can be had by strolling through Toronto area Pioneer cemeteries and noting the disproportional number of pioneers who died as children as opposed to the number of 70 and 80 year old deaths.

Due to local, short-term conditions. No general conclusions can be drawn.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here. Anyone can take a single frame of the movie of any of our lives and makes us look less than great. You're taking what you know/think you know of him and ascribing context. He might just be yawning for all we know...
^^ above comment relates to this picture:
http://i.bullfax.com/imgs/746486fe72523b9a2ab450ed99d1571e3dcac28f.jpg

He seems to do this a lot, though:
tips-for-mayor-rob-ford-blackout-drunk.jpg

rob_ford_pride.jpg

Where is this information from? Never knew this.

That's why divorce was uncommon before the 1900's. One of the partners would die off due to disease, accident, or lack of life savings skills we have nowadays.

Because Rob Ford is now over age 44, he's is way past any excuse of "youth". (Unless he's regenerates.)

We're not done debating the Scarborough subway after all...

I've been concerned with how Ford will be able to claim that the "coup d'etat" has resulted in a lefty tax and spend City Hall with tax increases going up above the 1.75% Ford is pitching. It's a smart strategy and Ford Nation will eat it up.

But tonight I heard about how some Councillors are proposing to deal with this. They're going to call his bluff. They're going to dare him to cancel the Scarborough Subway so that the 1.75% can be met. Ford either votes to cancel the Scarborough Subway or he votes to re-affirm a 2.5% tax increase. I don't know if it'll work and if there will be an appetite to re-open the Scarborough Subway debate yet again but it's a good idea.

These games are pathetic on councils part. He has voted against his own budget before when last year Mammoliti made a motion for 0% tax increase and Rob voted to support that instead of his own budget. That pissed Del Grande off to no end and a major reason why he quit as budget chief. He will vote against what ever they put forth that doesn't match what he wants. Rob will vote against any budget and afterwards will come out of this and say look at the gravy I only wanted 1.75% increase. The truth is that 1.75% walked out the door when Mark Towhey was fired. Rob needed Towhey combing the budget to make those numbers happen. Rob Ford lost control of this budget long before council stepped in but the public will never realize this.

Rick Mercer said it best, in his rant last week, that Ford is a mess but like it or not his politics are very real and the left would be very wise to pay attention to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfdoLedAWWg

I believe any connection with Mario Cortellucci may have been looked at during the whole Ferris Wheel/monorail vision, but it'd be interesting if anyone came across the name in their Crackgate sleuthing. And IIRC there was something about a $30k donation to his campaign.

It is interesting that a total of 10 Cortellucci's, Mario included, donated to 'Ford 2010'. At least half of that number gave the maximum $2500.

Source

The Scarborough subway is a done deal, stop the merry-go-'round on this thing and just get it built already. There are other very pressing transit issues to deal with.

That's why divorce was uncommon before the 1900's. One of the partners would die off due to disease, accident, or lack of life savings skills we have nowadays.

Where are you getting this wacky history from? Divorce was uncommon because the law largely forbade it, it was hugely stigmatized, especially amongst religious people, women were economically dependent on men - the list of reasons goes on and on, and "you could count on your spouse kicking it sooner or later" is WAY down on it.

I would also like to take this time to point out that....wait for it....politicians are taxpayers as well! Oh, what!

According to my math, most of them pay more in taxes than I do. "Taxpayer-funded junket"? I submit to you the partially politician-funded junket.
No they don't. Since they're paid with taxes, the very fact that there is a difference between the gross and net amounts of tax dollars given to them, doesn't mean they've paid taxes. On the contrary, they've simply been given less tax, but the public purse is still in the red. For example, if we hire another hundred city workers at $100k gross and $80 net, well, the public purse isn't ahead by those $20k of extra "tax", but is in fact in the hole for the $80k a head.

True taxes are gained through the private sector or in rare cases in the public sector where value or productivity is increased over the cost of those inputs, such as in the LCBO.

Last edited:
Very true.

I'm good at oversimplifying.

That being said, politicians have had other jobs in life. They don't exist in a taxless vacuum. It's not as if they don't know the value of an earned dollar. It frustrates me a bit when they're referred to as spending "taxpayer" money.

Disclosure: I would consider myself a fiscal conservative. (Just fiscal, for real.)

Time to weigh in on this anatomy of a bungled police investigation:

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Firstly this is obviously the Toronto Star doing damage control for Bill Blair. There is a growing chorus of criticism over how Blair has handled this investigation of the mayor and this is an attempt to blunt the criticism with "insight" provided by unnamed police sources. Many times they try to assure us the investigation was "by the book" . To counter criticism that the police allowed the mayor to drive around drunk we are told a couple of times that officers were under "strict orders" to "box in" the mayor if they suspected he was driving drunk and that the investigators had "nightmares" of the mayor driving over an 8 year old.

It would appear that the Toronto Star was ahead of the police investigators in conducting their parallel investigation and this may have compromised matters. The police surveillance measures could be characterized as too little too late but once again the unnamed police source tries to reassure us that they used "proper escalation" methods - that they didn't "overreach" and that their procedure were "top notch" because they had a homicide detective in charge of the investigation (this is laughable considering how miserable a track record TPS homicide has. Giroux himself seems to be particularly dimwitted from what I have seen in his investigation into the murdered Eritrean women).

A factor in allowing the Toronto Star to overtake the TPS investigators was the decision in May - to put the investigation of the mayor on the back-burner lest it "compromise" the Project Traveler investigation. I cannot see how conducting an investigation of the mayor would jeopardize the Traveler investigation. The cat was already out of the bag. The whole world knew about the crack video. The Dixon city goonies had to assume once word got out that the police would have focused attention on the mayor. The fateful decision to put the investigation of mayor Ford onto the back burner was made by staff supt. Jim Ramer. He along with Blair must be made to answer for this inexplicable decision. Remember the investigation of the mayor involved the potential that Anthony Smith was murdered for the crack video. Why would you put a murder investigation on hold pending the outcome of a guns and drugs investigation? Can Bill Blair walk and chew gum at the same time? Apparently not!

The fact that we have these leaks from inside the police department revealing details of an investigation that we are told is "ongoing" is very troubling in itsself! Is Bill Blair going to launch an internal investigation into who is leaking to the Toronto Star? If not we have to assume that Blair himself authorized the leak of this information as a way of exonerating the work of his officers. If in fact Blair is behind these leaks he should be charged under the police act and immediately suspended pending the outcome (and ultimately fired and sent to prison).

Also troubling to me is the admission that police "hand-picked" the judge who signed the warrants. I had always suspected that this was going on and here we have proof. No doubt when a cop is charged with a crime the police "hand pick" a judge that will play along with them.

Some of the police insider information is complete B.S. such as the Pearson Tower contacting the Police saying "get your goddamned plane out of the way we have a 747 arriving in 3 minutes. There is absolutely no way that a pilot would be operating in controlled airspace without the consent of air traffic control. He/she would risk loosing their licence! This is complete garbage being spewed by police "sources".

There is no confirmation if a wiretap was placed on the mayor's or Lisi's phones. If there were wiretaps we are told this information would not be contained in the ITO since a superior court judge would have had to OK them. Also interesting is the fact that police have 90 days to wiretap a person before they inform the person that they were wiretapped. I wonder if Ford or Lisi have been informed by police that their phones were tapped? (Lisi is alleged to have used "burner" phones so good luck with that). If in fact a wiretap was not place on the mayors phone this is a major failure that cannot be explained away.

Finally, the last thing that I will call B.S. on is the assertion in the last paragraph that it was the magical recovery of the crack video (just one day before the ITO release) that allowed police to lay charges of extortion. Just as police do not need to have a body to lay murder charges - if they had evidence that Lisi extorted persons for the video - they do not actually need to have the video to lay charges.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back