628     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 570     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 711     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the general population don't know how governments work and frankly don't care. This is why Rob Ford with his buzzwords is able to get to them.

Slogans are easy; explaining is hard. Fuel anger out of the perception that governments are out to screw you and you've got Ford Nation.

Yup. That's one thing the Rob Ford fiasco has taught us the hard way - there are a lot of stupid people in Toronto.
It's also taught me that the police force is even worse than I knew. TPS and Blair mishandled the G20, and the investigation into it. During G20 people were being arrested simply for being in the wrong place.
Now we're finding out that there have been dozens of times that Ford could have been arrested, and anyone else would have been arrested. Domestic assault, driving under the influence, possession of narcotics. Yet every time, he was allowed to walk (or drive) away.

I grew up here and I think Ontario is the best country in the world with Toronto being its centre of awesome but this fiasco has brought doubt to my mind. Not to mention how sad it makes me. Mike Harris was a picnic with a bottle of wine on Ward's Island Beach compared with this coonta.

And to all the doubters of effect on our collective reputation and international relations I have this to say: you are bloody insular and need to get out more.

I agree with what what already said about this. Not cool. It's one thing to say she's attractive (I'd say she is.) But quite another to say what you did . Sounds like something one might say drunk and live in an Argos jersey.

Yes, I agree, especially after we had a long conversation about the benefits of not sexually objectifying someone on an inclusive and mixed forum.

Slogans are easy; explaining is hard. Fuel anger out of the perception that governments are out to screw you and you've got Ford Nation.

This is the one thing Chow will have to contend with. A "One Toronto" slogan does nothing to explain your platform, how you'll manage the city's coffers, what you think about transit. Ask a Torontonian what Ford's election planks are: "Respect for taxpayers. Cut the gravy. Subways."

I think Olivia Chow is in danger of running a campaign similar to that of Barbara Hall back in 2003. For most of 2003 Barbara Hall was the odd's on winner with a healthy 20%+ lead over the other no-name candidates like a conservative insider (Tory), High Park councillor (Miller), and two disgraced egos (Jakobek and Nunziata). I worked in the Miller campaign and saw first hand how Barbara Hall went from 45% polling in the summer down to 9% on Election Day. She was unable to brand herself. She was too wishy-washy on specifics and took no firm position on the big issues of the time - notably, new powers for the city and the island bridge. Even her election signs were confusing with six uniquely coloured signs meant to embrace the various shades and differences of the city. She got squeezed out by the issue-heavy, slogan-driven Tory and Miller campaigns.

hulk-hogan-02.jpg
I totally agree. Who can play Doug?

Attachments

• hulk-hogan-02.jpg
    hulk-hogan-02.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 422
It's one thing to say she's attractive (I'd say she is.) But quite another to say what you did

Which is exactly why I said what I did. The crudeness was intentional.

Doolittle signed up for this gig, so her looks are as fair game as Ford's.

Exactly I didn't know how ignorant the general public is. Anyone with half a brain would figure out that most of what this clown says is bullsh!t. But people take it as gospel.

I don't know how to deal with this Ford situation. Look at the recent budget issue. He insists on a 1.75% increase knowing it can't be done. He will then vote against it and now he will tell his base when it has to go above that due to the removal of some his powers, taxes are increasing and we can expect worse if he's not the mayor. His base will eat up that garbage.

Which is exactly why I said what I did. The crudeness was intentional.

Doolittle signed up for this gig, so her looks are as fair game as Ford's.

No one is discussing how "f*&%ble" Ford is (thankfully).
Doolittle is a journalist. Her writing skills, investigative skills etc, would be up for discussion. Perhaps her looks, if you are discussing who might play her in this seedy saga.
But no one wants to know who you want to sleep with.

Exactly I didn't know how ignorant the general public is. Anyone with half a brain would figure out that most of what this clown says is bullsh!t. But people take it as gospel.

I don't know how to deal with this Ford situation. Look at the recent budget issue. He insists on a 1.75% increase knowing it can't be done. He will then vote against it and now he will tell his base when it has to go above that due to the removal of some his powers, taxes are increasing and we can expect worse if he's not the mayor. His base will eat up that garbage.

Big problem. My own mum yesterday thought 311 was brought in by Ford because he always promised transparency (LOL!), accountability (double LOL!), and accessible government.
Needless to say, I wigged out a bit.

(In her defense, she lives on a farm in North Pickering and has no interest in Toronto's goings on)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back