838     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 752     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 320     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this 2008 quote from RF's mother-in-law might say it all: "He make show. He is not normal."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2008/03/29/ford_chided_over_marital_spectacle.html

I'm really torn about "protecting" his wife from media intrusion. It sounds really dark inside that house.

Ditto. I totally believe the story...I'm just not sure about the need to publish it at this point, when he's hanging by a thread as it is. If The Star thought they were saving themselves by pulling it, I'm not so sure. We'll see if UT or other places where it's posted get asked to erase it...

That's stretching it - if it was anyone else who used that term, it might have been admissible (and personally, the term Oriental is pretty innoculous IMO). Rob Ford on the other hand does not strike me as the type who is just ignorant.

As to the "mushy middle" - sorry, choice has consequences.

AoD

AoD... please understand that i'm referring to attitudes circa 2010, not now. I completely agree that Ford is ignorant and am not defending him or Ford Nation in any way!

Heh:

Apev4Cb.jpg

You have sharp eyes!

AoD... please understand that i'm referring to attitudes circa 2010, not now. I completely agree that Ford is ignorant and am not defending him or Ford Nation in any way!

Context is important here. It wasn't just the "Oriental" part (which I would still argue is pretty generally accepted as being passe at least and bordering on if not over the line of a slur along the same lines as "Chinaman") it was the whole speech about them "working like dogs" and "sleeping beside their machines."

Higher Res version here:

http://i.imgur.com/GhrTaSL.jpg

That's really, really obviously a bottle of vodka and a shot glass.
It's not even that there is a bottle of vodka in his office. It's that Sluggo is on CNN being watched worldwide while he defends his alcoholic brother with a bottle of hooch in plain sight behind him.

Bumbling incompetence like that is a result of life long practice.

It's great comedy.

Well she could have met him in 2011 at the Beaches Easter Parade. There's a YouTube video (was posted earlier in this thread), she was at the event as Miss Toronto Tourism and he was there in an official capacity. If he goes so far as to call her a "friend" rather than simply saying he didn't pay for her company, I'd think that night wasn't the first time he'd met her.

She could be a friend, a mistress, who knows? She has no criminal record, though, and it's maybe kind of sad that she's been branded a prostitute.

I think it's just that it's hard for people to believe that anyone would have chosen to be near Rob Ford in that type of situation without being paid for it. Everybody else around him was his staff, so they were there in their capacity as city employees. What was her excuse? If she was getting paid, I can actually understand and respect that.

You need a major reality check. Most people had no idea who Rob Ford was before the last election. How do you know people were willing to turn a blind eye? Prove it? Do you think your average mother and father obsess over municipal politics like most people on this forum? These people have busy lives and don't have the time to sit around and watch council debates. Most people don't care about the boring details of council meetings and getting to know individual councillors; especially ones that don't represent their respective wards. That's not to say that people shouldn't research who they vote for. Many older voters also don't use computers and social networking; it's very likely that many never saw what a buffoon Ford was prior to becoming mayor.

Yeah, all that information was very cleverly hidden between the covers of newspapers and magazines.

howsoon:

The privacy argument doesn't wash when you have a) potential spousal abuse and b) children being potentially endangered.

AoD

That applies to notifying CAS and the police, both of whom apparently are aware.
It does not apply to notifying you and I except arguably indirectly, to pressure the powers that be.

Like I said, I have mixed feelings. Mostly I think it's being salacious rather than helpful.

Actually I am not saying that you are defending him or Ford Nation - my issue in this case is the willful enabling of said mayor by the otherwise complacent middle class who turned a blind eye to these transgressions. They are hardly "blameless".

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back