793     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 717     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perruzza gave a long ass speech about all this being baby steps towards an area they don't have to moral or legal right to be and possibly a coup d'etat but still went and voted for both motions

Let me try and wrap my mind around this. RoFo understands what is happening. Would have done the same thing as the Councillors. Worries about the cost to taxpayers of a trial that he may bring forward. Yet he still refused to quit, which would make council happy and make a court case a moot point.
I know, for the most part, we are talking to the converted here but I am constantly amazed at the gall and utter stupidity of RoDoFo.
Thanks. I just needed to vent for a bit. :-D

Hype:

If only it is a real coup d'etat with some serious physical action.

And the best news so far - Doug eludes to not being there next term.

AoD

Let me try and wrap my mind around this. RoFo understands what is happening. Would have done the same thing as the Councillors. Worries about the cost to taxpayers of a trial that he may bring forward. Yet he still refused to quit, which would make council happy and make a court case a moot point.
I know, for the most part, we are talking to the converted here but I am constantly amazed at the gall and utter stupidity of RoDoFo.
Thanks. I just needed to vent for a bit. :-D

Boggles the mind, doesn't it...

Anyone else catch that? Ford basically said he "would have supported" the actions council took today if a mayor had been "behaving as I had." But since he's they mayor, "I have to support myself."

What an ass...

That was so bizzare.

He is upset that the taxpayers money might be wasted, but would have voted for it himself if it wasn't him.

He's just in damage control mode so he's saying things that he thinks people want to hear. He just isn't even smart enough to make nice properly.

This thread's moving at a million miles an hour but just an aside....John Tory was asked what his wife would do if asked to come down to a presser after he'd used the "p word" and referred to oral sex with her to the press. His response was that she'd be too busy packing his stuff to make the conference.

I don't know how to inbed but someone posted this this am on blogto - political wives:

http://i.imgur.com/4L97Ctu.jpg

Those pictures make me really sad.

That was so bizzare.

He is upset that the taxpayers money might be wasted, but would have voted for it himself if it wasn't him.

He's just in damage control mode so he's saying things that he thinks people want to hear. He just isn't even smart enough to make nice properly.

Let's not forget to mention this point, either, from the Torontoist liveblog:

10:18 AM: Mayoral brother Doug Ford (Ward 2, Etobicoke North): “How much is this going to cost to the taxpayers, if it’s challenged in court?” Because that’s what’s important.

10:19 AM: She [city solicitor] says not very much—we’d be looking at a day or so of court time.

But you go ahead and try to make hay out of the "waste," Fords. I'm sure it will work fine with the "folks."

Hotmail lawyer

Wonder how much he's paying hotmail lawyer.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 1h
Rob Ford claims his lawyer told him to check with city lawyer to see if he had a conflict, the city lawyer told him to talk to his lawyer

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 1h
"I called the integrity commissioner and I can't seem to get a hold of her" Mayor Rob Ford #TOpoli

That was so bizzare.

Not only that, but the bulk of any costs to the taxpayer would be from the court challenge. The court challenge of a by-law that he just said that he would support enacting if it were him in their shoes.

Where's that GIF with the head exploding?

"Oriental" is not exactly hate speech, but neither is it innocuous. It's a term used mostly by an older generation, who have generally not been exposed to much diversity; in terms of import and association, it's scarcely better than "coloured".

I know the derivation & meaning - and you can call me Occidental without offending me - but meanings & usage change over time. Based on the way I perceive it, I don't use "Oriental" to describe people.

Here's the thing - I never, ever use Oriental to describe people for all the reasons you've mentioned. I'm educated, somewhat academic and I dated a Poly-Sci major years ago who explained to me why it's fallen out of use.

However, I come from somewhat of a working class background and in my experience there are a lot of well meaning people (of all ages) who simply don't realize the term is now inappropriate. A lot of those people if you sat them down and explained the comparison to "coloured" or "negro" would never, ever say "oriental" again... but the fact is nobody has ever told them that. So I'm willing to cut people a little slack with "Oriental" depending on context although I admit it's somewhat jarring to hear.

The infuriating thing about Rob was that when called on it, instead of apologizing and treating it like a lesson learned he walked around acting outraged as if the whole world was out to get him. He was right and they were wrong as usual. Politics requires a little humility, open mindedness, self reflection and the ability to consider other people's feelings so that you can build bridges with the community at large. Rob has none of those traits.

Last edited:
Those pictures make me really sad.

Perhaps I'm a horrible person, but I can only feel a small bit of sadness for political spouses. They knew what they were getting into from the start (including all the huge perks that come from being the partner of a prominent politician), and anyone who is ignorant of the history of others in their positions is just kidding themselves.

Besides, do you really think that Renata has been unaware of what kind of man her husband is? She has chosen to stay with him, and while I understand that there are pressures there that make other choices hard, those other choices still exist.

Rob Ford (and I'm paraphrasing here): "See, I'd want me gone too if I were you. But since I'm me I can't actually bring myself to make myself gone, even though obviously I should be gone as even I can see, and I happen to be the only one with the power to make myself gone, which as I said is the thing I ought to be and what I would want if I were anyone but me. But I'm me, therefore I must stay because I could never not support me even though I don't want to support me. It ain't easy being me."

Perhaps I'm a horrible person, but I can only feel a small bit of sadness for political spouses. They knew what they were getting into from the start (including all the huge perks that come from being the partner of a prominent politician), and anyone who is ignorant of the history of others in their positions is just kidding themselves.

Besides, do you really think that Renata has been unaware of what kind of man her husband is? She has chosen to stay with him, and while I understand that there are pressures there that make other choices hard, those other choices still exist.

I don't think you can compare Renata Ford to Huma Abedin (sp). The latter has a high-level career who married after her husband was in the public eye. The former appears to be a SAHM w/young children who may/may not have her own personal issues and met her husband in high school. I get really uncomfortable with this type of discussion because sometimes it can approach victim blaming a la wondering why abused women never leave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back