793     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 717     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you are mostly joking, but there are just a whole bunch of reasons why this is not possible. No PR firm, let alone responsible member of his staff would suggest him to carry on like this, making the comments he has. The logistics of what you are suggesting would be extremely messy and illogical. The reasons Canada is getting so much airtime on US TV is because this is a wild wild wild story.

In addition, how does airtime about Rob Ford's failure in Santiago, Chile in any way help Rob Ford here in Toronto? Especially when the first impression of him is as a crack smoker?

Listening to Ford's apology from yesterday as it has been played over and over is striking. He plays the victim and says he apologized already, wanted to put things behind him and move on but is not being allowed to do so.

Was he never punished as a child? Was a simply "sorry Mommy" good enough? He obviously doesn't understand that actions have consequences.

Given the seriousness of all that has happened, of course people aren't going to let him put it behind him and move on. He needs to deal with it because it has repercussions going forward, i.e., someone with substance abuse issues is likely to have ongoing problems and it's a pattern of bad behaviour that needs to be addressed.

Is he really that stupid? Or narcissistic? Just plain stupid? Oblivious?

Listening to Ford's apology from yesterday as it has been played over and over is striking. He plays the victim and says he apologized already, wanted to put things behind him and move on but is not being allowed to do so.

Was he never punished as a child? Was a simply "sorry Mommy" good enough? He obviously doesn't understand that actions have consequences.

Given the seriousness of all that has happened, of course people aren't going to let him put it behind him and move on. He needs to deal with it because it has repercussions going forward, i.e., someone with substance abuse issues is likely to have ongoing problems and it's a pattern of bad behaviour that needs to be addressed.

Is he really that stupid? Or narcissistic? Just plain stupid? Oblivious?

For the multiple choice question, I choose all of the above as my answer. As to who is orchestrating his "PR", I suspect Mom, Doug, and hotmail lawyer are the main contributors, with Randy, Kathy and maybe Rob helping out when needed.:D

It's difficult for people to feel sympathy for victims of a disease (AIDS) that is 100% preventable.

I'm sure that's great comfort to the thousands who received tainted blood during the 80's.

In some sense, every (contractable) disease is 100% preventable. Isolate people, isolate yourself, disinfect everything. See, 100% preventable.

Is it difficult for people to feel sympathy for those with leprosy, even though it's incredibly rare in Western countries? It's curable and easily prevented against. But is on it's way to being eradicated thanks to the sympathy and empathy of the millions who've donated to leprosy charities.

Sympathy and empathy for the sick and infirmed should never be dependent on how personally familiar you are with the ailment. Most people know this. I don't know anyone in Southern Asia, nor have I been or known a victim of a tsunami, earthquake or typhoon, nor am I even Asian, but it hasn't stopped me from donating to relief charities in Asia over the years.

Last edited:
Well she could have met him in 2011 at the Beaches Easter Parade. There's a YouTube video (was posted earlier in this thread), she was at the event as Miss Toronto Tourism and he was there in an official capacity. If he goes so far as to call her a "friend" rather than simply saying he didn't pay for her company, I'd think that night wasn't the first time he'd met her.

She could be a friend, a mistress, who knows? She has no criminal record, though, and it's maybe kind of sad that she's been branded a prostitute.

I agree, she is not necessarily a prostitute. The ITO lists a couple incidents, one where she was caught smoking weed and another where she was so drunk EMS had to take her to emergency. She could just be a college girl that likes to party and got talked into a "date" with Kordas on the premise that she would get to party with the mayor. Also, if she was a prostitute, there's no way on earth that Ford or Ransom would know her real name - I'm pretty sure she would have had a "working name" if that was the case.

Originally Posted by Tewder
Could the mods set up an 'is Ford a bigot/theif/misogynist/drug user/liar/homophobe/puppy hater' thread for nfitz? It gets a little tiring having to go through this debate in each and every single thread relating to the mayor. These things are really only the worst and most base kind of speculation anyway, and bring the level/tone of discourse down.

I look forward to your apology.

It's people who were willing back in 2010 and 2011 to turn a blind eye to what Ford very clearly was that have lead us down this path. Time and time again so many people were willing to ignore Ford's racism, homophobia, misogny, lying, and drug use. We all knew about it before the election. And some people were still so utterly demented that they'd knowingly voted for him anyway.

Hopefully anyone who voted for Rob Ford last time, will have learned their lesson, and simply remember not to vote next time ...

Oh I was wrong, clearly, and don't mind admitting it... as for an apology? Look, a lot of people gave him the benefit of the doubt back then, excusing some of those early incidents as clumsy gaffes; in other words the 'Orientals work like dogs' comment, for example, came off less as intentionally racist, as unintentionally ignorant, to some of us at least... and at the time it was difficult to figure out to what degree attacks against Ford were merely politically motivated. We know differently now, of course, but hindsight is always 20/20.

I do agree with you that anybody who'd vote for Ford now must have deeply unsettling personal issues. For me personally, it has taught me to question popularism in politics, that maybe we should be, no must be, expecting more from the individuals we choose to serve us!

I'm pretty shocked that Ford's insane sexually-charged comments from yesterday seem to the straw that broke the camel's back. Yeah, they were completely awful, they were pretty much the least awful thing he's done since this whole sordid affair started. We already knew he was a chauvinist pig, I didn't need his explicit 'on air' admission/example to further cement that view in my mind. I don't really get it, the contents of the ITO are about 1000 times more damning IMO, but this is what people get hung up on?

1. Man, you're a dick. Of course it's also sexist.
2. Are you sure you know what 'objectify' means? He did not use the name 'Renata' at any point in a conversation about his sexual relations with his wife! Man, you're an asshole.
3. Not happy, angry that you're trying to have it both ways, defending the man but crawling on the bandwagon. Man, you're a pile of shit.

Well, I have called hawc an "urban batterer" in the past. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a certain something that goes beyond urbanity there...

My theory is that none of this circus is by accident. Some PR firm from the US might be behind it. Making him getting maximum exposure (the whole world talking about him) and stretch it as long as they can. I don't even recall Canada as a whole getting this much airtime on US TV. Then, when the time's right, he's going to go to rehab and run again. This is made obvious with the show he's putting and now he's getting his own TV show. Unbelievable...

I'm starting to think so. It seems he is taking the Kardashian route to greater fame. That "eating" line yesterday was certainly conceived in advance and 100% intended as late-night fodder. The media rush also seemed strategic. Wouldn't surprise me at all if this was all staging for some sort of reality show deal. Whatever the case, at this point he is clearly enjoying all of this.

[/B][/U]

For the multiple choice question, I choose all of the above as my answer. As to who is orchestrating his "PR", I suspect Mom, Doug, and hotmail lawyer are the main contributors, with Randy, Kathy and maybe Rob helping out when needed.:D

Given the craziness of his family and the talk of Doug's wife and Krista possibly being Rob's "therapists", I've been practically wondering if Rob welcomes that because Krista's a young blonde hottie, never mind that she's his niece. (No, I'm not suggesting actual "happy endings" or anything. Just creepy familial mental workings.)

[/B][/U]

One hopes that two years less a day should be enough time for Robbie to figure it out on his own.

[/B][/U]

Thing is, however he was raised has clearly led him to the belief that getting caught and having to apologize IS the consequence. We've seen this over and over: he seems to think vague mumbling in which he doesn't admit to much wrongdoing is the end of the issue. There's never any suggestion that he has considered ways to right the wrong, or that he thinks there may be any further punishment or actions he should take. He really is just a sad, spoiled, stunted person with a monstrous sense of entitlement.

In a way this is a good thing, because his absolute refusal to take responsibility or admit to wrongdoing unless he's cornered, could really trip him up in court (if we make it there). I can see lying under oath being added to whatever other charges he faces.

I'm starting to think so. It seems he is taking the Kardashian route to greater fame. That "eating" line yesterday was certainly conceived in advance and 100% intended as late-night fodder. The media rush also seemed strategic. Wouldn't surprise me at all if this was all staging for some sort of reality show deal. Whatever the case, at this point he is clearly enjoying all of this.

It wasn't planned, Rob had read (or hotmail lawyer read and explained) what was reported in the ITO. Remember Rob has a very limited vocabulary and pussy is the only word he uses to describe female anatomy. He doesn't plan anything, that's why he is self-imploding. Give him enough rope.......

I agree, she is not necessarily a prostitute. The ITO lists a couple incidents, one where she was caught smoking weed and another where she was so drunk EMS had to take her to emergency. She could just be a college girl that likes to party and got talked into a "date" with Kordas on the premise that she would get to party with the mayor. Also, if she was a prostitute, there's no way on earth that Ford or Ransom would know her real name - I'm pretty sure she would have had a "working name" if that was the case.

Also, (pure speculation disclamer again) it's not a stretch to think that Kordas lines up the occasional innocent/naiive girl for the Mayor, and the intent is to get the girl drunk and see if the Mayor can nail her. I wonder if there may be some "date rape" stories to be told, but for the percieved power the Fords have to keep the girls silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back