794     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 718     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone...longtime fan, first-time poster. Turning back to the investigation, I'm trying to wrap my head around it. How soon can we expect for more evidence to be released? Is today the last day for the media lawyers' arguments?

I think we're past the drugs/alcohol bit and Ford needs to be nailed on something more serious, whether it's Anthony Smith, the mysterious second video or something else. What I'm wondering is, with the mysterious envelopes and packages, and Lisi being seen with businessmen like Romeo DiBattista, are the cops and/or the media looking into possible bribery/kickbacks?
I've always thought there was something to that. Go back to when Battista's company GFL originally got that garbage contract and you'll see that a lot of people thought there was something fishy there---http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/winning-bidder-for-toronto-garbage-contract-no-stranger-to-controversy/article559012/

I definitely think so. The original point I was going against was that not all TO representatives are of English-descent. But I think even European descent like Italian or Polish would be suitable candidates for "diversity".

I don't get it. If my councilor is a visible minority, are they not representative of me because I'm white? I would have thought this was about political views, rather than race. How many non-whites run for office compared to how many get in? You can't win if you don't run. I don't recall seeing a lot of minorities running in any municipal race.

I'm highly inclined to agree with khristopher. And I'm a visible minority, non-Christian, non-WASP, first-generation immigrant; I have to shake my head at people like you who accuse anyone who's in disagreement of being racist.

It's highly insulting to those of us who are actual immigrants/VisMin's/non-Xian's that those attributes which we were born with, should be the reason why we get a particular job (or not).

I don't see how saying "there is an undercurrent of racism here" is the same as "accusing anyone whose in disagreement of being racist". Of course there are undercurrents of racism in Canadian society!! We see it everywhere from economic indicators, to the way police target certain populations, to representation in the media and in the halls of power. That doesn't necessarily mean that anyone in particular is a foaming-at-the-mouth bigot. But it does mean that we need to look for the hidden privileges that white people get, and the hidden barriers that non-white people face on a daily basis.

I've heard several people describe Olivia Chow as a "lightweight", for instance. I can't help but think that her gender and race play into that characterization, given that her political resume has more accomplishments than Miller and Ford combined (before they became mayor), and the fact that she came from much more humble beginnings. It's not that the people describing her as a lightweight have anything against women and minorities in principle, but we do live in a society were women and minorities are taken less seriously than white men.

The media coverage is ridiculous. I know they absolutely love scandals but don't they have anything better to do than to stand outside the mayor's office all day waiting to catch a 1 second glimpse of him? And the way they all run downstairs into the parking garage at the end of the day is so stupid. What are they thinking, that they're going to catch Ford smoking crack in his car as he drives off? During Ford's angry moment that one morning at his house there was that one photographer I noticed who pulled back off his property after Ford requested he do so and as soon as he turned around to get into his car this photographer moved quickly back onto his property to get up close with his photo. I realize they have a job to do but man oh man, they really are leeches.

For what it's worth, it was during one of those relentless "standing outside the mayor's office all day" moments when they finally got Rob Ford to admit to smoking crack.

This is awesome

[video=youtube;82mn-_IyrQw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82mn-_IyrQw[/video]

"All you liberal media care about is your "readers", and giving them accurate, factual that holds publicly elected officials accountable for their actions..."

Or if you need something more specifically related to political representation, how about the fact that Toronto's population is roughly 50% visible minority, but City Council is less than 10% visible minority (to say nothing about even worse minority representation in other corridors of power in the public and private sectors).

I definitely understand your point. It is certainly possible that "white people" are preventing visible minorities from attaining positions of political power, although I would say that's less likely to happen in Toronto, then in, say... Utah... or Maine... or Switzerland... or France... or even the UK!

In my opinion, both Toronto and Canada have done a fair job in reducing the barriers for ethnic minorities to participate in public life. However, as the saying goes "it takes two to tango" so there may be other factors at play which we're not aware of...

Speaking from anecdotal experience, namely extensive community involvement with one of the largest VisMin ethnic blocs in the GTA... I've never noticed much of a strong desire to be all that involved in political life. It's slowly changing now, with what I've seen of the current generation (Millennials). But the older generations were much more focussed on getting educated, getting employed, and owning property (often in that order).

Seriously, why do people believe someone who's a notorious a-hole on Twitter, with a very long practiced pro-Ford agenda and a history of intentionally making fun of anti-Forders is suddenly in their camp?

Just cause I made you look stupid a lot doesn't mean I'm lying

Hrm. Renata? Divorce? CAS?

robyndoolittle ‏@robyndoolittle 2m
Mayor Ford leaves city hall saying he has a serious "personal issue." I can say he is telling the truth here.

robyndoolittle ‏@robyndoolittle 2m
It is a private family matter that has nothing to do with the mayor or his drug use.

I don't see how saying "there is an undercurrent of racism here" is the same as "accusing anyone whose in disagreement of being racist".

Thanks for pointing this out. I really didn't mean to suggest that the majority of Torontonians are racist (plus, it seems to me that "minorities" are actually a majority, if taken together)

You can't win if you don't run. I don't recall seeing a lot of minorities running in any municipal race.

Aha! I wonder why?

but we do live in a society were women and minorities are taken less seriously than white men.

Exactly! Most people don't run for office if they're not being taken seriously as a candidate.
Remember Pantalone being ridiculed for his accent?

Nathan Phillips I believe was Jewish.

Nunziata I believe is Italian.

By the way, I would vote for Chow, not just because she is a female Asian downtown NDPer, but because I believe that she has the charisma (in the sense of charm) and the willpower to end the circus, as well as plan for the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back