946     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 531     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard to believe that the Wynne gov't would sit by helplessly while the world watches a number of videos being released of Ford in a drunken stupor doing god knows what, at this point. Not only harmful to the Toronto brand, but the Ontario brand, as well.

Don't underestimate the temptation to take no risk, sit back and let this play out. Ford is tripping up almost daily, more evidence coming out weekly, still feels like only a matter of time for him to take a few more serious blows. One of them might finally trigger him to step aside of his own accord. These other pols want to be seen as concerned and considering action, because the public is desperate, but it's so much easier for them to wait and see. Safe bet.

I really don't get why there isn't an immediate push for recall legislation though. Seems like a no-brainer that would make Wynne look good, sending a message while not targeting Ford specifically.

"On another workday, Thursday, Aug. 8, a police video camera recorded Ford’s Escalade in Lisi’s Etobicoke driveway at 11:43 a.m. In his official work schedule, Ford had the hour from 11 a.m. to noon booked off for a “Constit visit.â€

Crack-stituents perhaps?

I really don't get why there isn't an immediate push for recall legislation though. Seems like a no-brainer that would make Wynne look good, sending a message while not targeting Ford specifically.

Exactly. And frankly, I wouldn't want the province to unilaterally remove an elected, sitting mayor -- the decision should ultimately rest with the city's council or its voters. All the province should do is give cities the legal apparatus necessary to do the work themselves.

One thing I noticed at city hall yesterday:
Someone, seemingly from Etobicoke, wrote a bunch of questions in sidewalk chalk. The person who wrote them seemed to know the story more intimately. One of the questions was something like: Ford why were you manipulating the high school football boys and their families?

The wording of it reminded me of a quote from Robyn Doolittle's piece on receiving a call one fateful Easter morn:

"We made small talk on the way to the Star newsroom. He seemed like a nice enough guy. He told me he had gotten to know a lot of the “kids” — these guys were really in their late teens to mid-twenties — up in the Dixon Road and Kipling Avenue area. They were good guys, he said, but they’d made mistakes. Now they wanted out. Anthony Smith’s death had them scared. Ford was exploiting them, he told me."
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...s_early_morning_phone_call_to_a_reporter.html

Exactly. And frankly, I wouldn't want the province to unilaterally remove an elected, sitting mayor -- the decision should ultimately rest with the city's council or its voters. All the province should do is give cities the legal apparatus necessary to do the work themselves.

This could apply to London ON's mayor as well. So it is not as if the legislation isn't needed right now.

Last edited:
But they would be LOUD about this "subversion of democracy," and that might have an effect on voters who don't support Ford but also don't agree with nullifying the results of fair elections.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I agree with the above. I also don't think Wynne will jump in right now. In order to make this look like it's not directed against Ford, she'd have to look at amending the Municipal Act, the City of Toronto Act, and any other governing municipal legislation to incorporate a recall or review mechanism. That's significant enough to be an election issue, IMO. There's no way she wants that to be the narrative.

I'm hearing rumbles that a doing is soon to transpire. Conspiracy to murder charges and drug kickbacks.

but with all the shit that's flying around...

DETAILS MAN DETAILS....we need details................im like a mayor on crack.....im jonesing man!

Also, not a peep from the City Hall reporters who thus far have tweeted on every speck of dust to cross the Mayor's office's lights.

DETAILS MAN DETAILS....we need details................im like a mayor on crack.....im jonesing man!

A friend's dad is well connected at city hall (he ran for council back in the day and remains in touch with people) and he told me about it. He hasn't said anything to me before, so it's unusual.

He also said that's why the press is so quiet, they don't want to interfere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back