1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 392     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
BYZkYbgCEAAPvEM.png:large

Haha nice joke. I'm sure that's just a parody :rolleyes:

I think party politics - with a nomination or primary system of selecting good candidates - is probably a better option than deamalgamation. Would George Smitherman or Rob Ford be selected through party nominations? Could parties attract better candidates and prevent extreme serious candidates? I'm not advocating municipal parties, but it's less ridiculous than de-amalgamation.

At most, I could see de-amalgamation pretty much becoming not to much different from what we have now with community councils with more responsibilities over things like local parks and minor streets. Police, Fire, EMS, Transit, Major Roads, Major Parks, Planning (except perhaps local site planning), social services, housing, economic development, utilties, garbage collection, etc will all be left to the amalgamated city.

As attractive as it can sound, I'm not in favour of de-amalgamating. Rather than split the new city, why not organize council a little better? Have all the councillors be responsible for the umbrella issues, that affect us all, and for localized issues let the boroughs sort themselves out.

I have no idea why my councillor (Perks) was talking about the distance between stops up on Eglinton several months ago. Being a resident of Parkdale, and having lived up at Avenue/Lawrence it's obvious our neighbourhoods have very different concerns.

I must admit though, I'm quite ignorant of how council works. This is just my two cents.

On the bright side, thanks to the G20, and Ford, I've never been more interested in learning more about municipal politics. I've learned a lot from this forum over the last several months, and I'm going to learn a lot more.

I hope they both end up behind bars.

They'll be fine though, I'm sure they'll be able to catch up on old times with the other inmates.

[video=youtube;8B6NURiPKE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B6NURiPKE0[/video]

"The only thing that I really miss, is probably having regular dope all the time, gettin drunk regularly"

I think party politics - with a nomination or primary system of selecting good candidates - is probably a better option than deamalgamation. Would George Smitherman or Rob Ford be selected through party nominations? Could parties attract better candidates and prevent extreme serious candidates? I'm not advocating municipal parties, but it's less ridiculous than de-amalgamation.

I agree we need parties at the municipal level, but let's not forget there is a reason party politics has never taken root in this city. It goes back to our weak-mayor system and the lack of tools that our chief magistrates have at their disposal to punish or reward their followers. It is for this same reason that mayors are never able to implement an agenda in the way a premier or prime minister can.

Neither of the Fords are at City Hall yet. Doug is supposed be at budget committee, he's vice-chair. Maybe the two of them have caught a plane to Argentina, let's hope.

My cab was behind Doug Ford and his Lincoln Navigator for a while on Dundas West at about 9:35 this morning.

From The Sun:
Barnett was one of the staffers who was with Ford during his drunken St. Patrick's Day party in his City Hall office back in 2012.

The night included Ford knocking Brooks off his feet in an apparent rage, jumping on his giant Cut the Waist challenge scale and stripping off his clothes, smashing his cellphone on the wall, crying uncontrollably and even throwing racial slurs and his business cards at a cab driver.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/06/mayor-rob-ford-policy-advisor-brooks-barnett-resigns

No, he has a huge drinking problem. I work downtown, for lawyers and others with regular interaction with City Hall, and it has been an open secret for years that Ford drinks on the job. He gets a mickey fairly early every day and drinks while on the job. As I said, this has been told to me by more than 1 lawyer, paralegal etc. He is a major alcoholic.

And why have councillors around him repeatedly say they have never seen him drink. Even Batra who was his ex press secretary or advisor or whatever say she never did and she is now a newspaper reporter

LULZ, sure it is because of Ford's 'misguided' subway vision that taxes are going up. Using Partisan scare tactics? Never knew I was living in Mid-West US. Where is Bachmann and Palin?

Tony Soprano... err I mean Giorgio Mammolitti is the THIRD biggest turd on Council (right after RoFo and DoFo).

"left-wing coup"? Seriously? John Filion is a SUBURBAN councillor, you twat -- Willowdale! (he's also my councillor and I'm quite proud of his attempts to bypass the Ford crooks)

What does Mammolidiot think Fillion is going to do, give control of the city to all the "lefties" we have living up here... like... errr.... uhh.... condo owners? lmao

Michael Cooke on his live chat at 11:00am:

reader question: I have heard multiple rumours that a copy of the video is circulating among members of the press. True?

If by that you mean either the first or second video, no. But I hear there's yet a 3rd video. We're still tying hard to secure the first "smoking crack" video. The second once, mentioned by the police chief ? All we hear are rumours.

Sounds like the video circulating amongst the press is a 3rd video. It's not before the courts, and sources say is being peddled to the Sun for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back