3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 654     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most telling part of the whole "press conference" was the statement that he had "NOTHING LEFT TO HIDE".

"NOTHING LEFT TO HIDE..."

I can't imagine how many shit-eating grins there are on the faces of all who know that not to be true.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Star ran with that statement as their headline tomorrow.

"NOTHING LEFT TO HIDE..." except what he forgot during one of his drunk stupors.

Earlier today somebody did post that a member of council had it. Not sure if credible.

That was me. I was told by one of the editors at work that their cousin is close with a city councilor, and he's going over to their place to watch the videos tonight. I overheard him talking to our lead editor about it and how awesome it would be to have him secretly film the thing that was filmed in secret (inception'd!). Anyway, he believes it and he's a credible man, I have no reason to doubt him.

It was an awful peculiar statement to make given how public the stuff he has to hide already is. that's not even getting into the fact most people haven't even caught up to the Vice story, heard the wiretap stuff, seen the tape etc. AND then there's the second tape and who knows what other things reporters have that are just simmering. Crikey, why even say that?

Does he really think he can apologize for one little thing and push the other stuff to the back burner time and time again? It's just bizarre.
It works for Ford Nation every time, so yeah, he thinks it's a workable strategy.

Alexa.com gets its demographics information from users running their toolbar software. Their % female stats are probably derived from a small sample of urbantoronto.ca visitors with the toolbar installed, they don't know anything about the rest of us.

Toronto_Flag.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto_Flag.jpg
    Toronto_Flag.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 548
How would they know? I'm a female and don't recall identifying myself as such.

You'd be surprised. Advertising agencies are (theoretically) able to track browsing patterns without the use of tracking cookies.

I'm not exactly sure how they'd know you're female. But they can probably get a general idea of the gender of visitors by tracking which pages visitors came from and go to.

For example, if they see that a visitor from UT was on L'Oreal's website an hour before and then after they visited a women's health site, they'd probably extrapolate that the visitor is female. on the othwe hand, if that visitor started from a college football site, came to UT and was later spotted reading about the Honda S2000, they'd probably extrapolate that he was male.

I know it's hugely sexist, but all they care about is figuring out details about yourself so they can make more money by selling targeted ads.

Edit: I'm not saying that UT or Alexa does this. Its just an explanation of how some advertising and tracking works online.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back