436     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 602     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that, if the city council wanted, they could essentially ignore Ford and get on with the business of the city. The position of mayor doesn't have that much actual power in the Toronto system. Surely a coalition of reasonable councillors of all political stripes could just agree to treat Rob as persona non grata and make the city work.

The Sun Poll: Do you trust Mayor Rob Ford to run the city? Only 10% say yes. But here's the hilarious part: 69 % say they "never have". How can that possibly be?

Rob out and about tonight, with the same handsome young lad who was last seen delivering Rob's suits to his home, the day of the Lisi bust. I wonder who he is.

It seems to me that, if the city council wanted, they could essentially ignore Ford and get on with the business of the city. The position of mayor doesn't have that much actual power in the Toronto system. Surely a coalition of reasonable councillors of all political stripes could just agree to treat Rob as persona non grata and make the city work.

Councilor John Parker pretty much told Stephen LeDrew that's what council has been doing for the last 3 years and I agree with him. Rob Ford has attempted to lead on certain things but for the most part council has accomplished everything. Garbage Collection was Doug Holyday, removal of the bag fee might be attributed to Ford but he barely landed that one. A few services were about to be cut/reduced but was stopped by Josh Colle and others. Subway was Stintz, Glen and some other councilors that had no idea about public transit (i'm looking at you Pasternak)). Rob Ford has failed at removing the land transfer ta and hasn't even attempted preparing a business case for removing it. The only thing I think Rob Ford really lead was the removal of the vehicle registration tax.

I think a Mayor can have more control over council Rob Ford just lacks the passion/leadership/will too.

I wonder if we'll be seeing any more protests at Nathan Phillips Square. There was a modestly sized one a few months ago when the crack story first broke. The turnout this time would certainly be higher.

Councilor John Parker pretty much told Stephen LeDrew that's what council has been doing for the last 3 years and I agree with him. Rob Ford has attempted to lead on certain things but for the most part council has accomplished everything. Garbage Collection was Doug Holyday, removal of the bag fee might be attributed to Ford but he barely landed that one. A few services were about to be cut/reduced but was stopped by Josh Colle and others. Subway was Stintz, Glen and some other councilors that had no idea about public transit (i'm looking at you Pasternak)). Rob Ford has failed at removing the land transfer ta and hasn't even attempted preparing a business case for removing it. The only thing I think Rob Ford really lead was the removal of the vehicle registration tax.

I think a Mayor can have more control over council Rob Ford just lacks the passion/leadership/will too.

How does everyone forget about Hero Burger? He was quite pleased about that victory, I believe he said "we did good today".

I wonder if we'll be seeing any more protests at Nathan Phillips Square. There was a modestly sized one a few months ago when the crack story first broke. The turnout this time would certainly be higher.

i hope we don't go down that road. it would never bring out enough people to have any real impact. there's nothing worse than a "smallish" demo over a very important issue.

NPS would probably need 12-15,000 people in it to really create that image of popular outrage, and i just can't see it happening.

i wish it were otherwise but Toronto's just not a demonstrating kind of place--at least not when it comes to municipal politics.

How does everyone forget about Hero Burger? He was quite pleased about that victory, I believe he said "we did good today".

Thanks for that reminder! I'm sure there were some other battles he won and lost. The fact of the matter is he lost the "confidence" of council quite early on.

Remember the good old days of defenestration? Yeah, neither do I.
I hope politics in the city can return to a more proactive consensus approach after this toxic debacle. This is what really worries me. I'm in my 20s and I want to raise kids here. I want to retire here even, but not in anything near the political climate of the last three years.
Now about that defenestration....it's kind of like assisted resignation, Innit?

Rob Ford's former brother-in-law is a convicted killer (killed someone with a shotgun in '98) and was charged again recently with a near fatal stabbing of a woman.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/709186--released-killer-charged-in-woman-s-stabbing

Somehow it doesn't surprise me to hear Rob Ford's family associated with these sorts of individuals. The whole lot are belligerent white trash. And they are running Toronto!

This is an extremely offensive and repugnant statement to make. Alleging that because someone had married into Ford's family previously and then later murdered a woman now automatically means that Ford and his family are guilty of being criminals because of guilt by association. I'm disgusted with the new lows some of you guys go to.

With this logic, my sister's former husband if they had committed a crime would automatically make me a suspect because, you know, if my sister married a guy who was capable of committing a crime then that automatically means that I'm out committing crime along with my entire family and friends. The only trash here is garbage like this being posted by cowards like you.

What is repugnant is Rob Ford uttering death threats to his wife, declaring public lynchings in his ward at the suggestion of opening a homeless shelter there, uttering racist threats at public events, and your faulty logic, inability to draw correct conclusions from written word, and name calling.

There's no reason to try and smear Rob Ford based on the actions of some unfortunate in his family. That's a nasty stance to take, and uncalled for.

I don't know any convicted killers, do you? But I bet if you talk to those who do business with or are members of biker gangs, they will know quite a few.

I disagree. It is very much called for and there is no stance nastier than the Ford's. Their skeletons need to be laid out and examined. These guys are not worthy of public trust and if left to their own devices they will leave Toronto in ruin.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontomayoralrace/article/799971--rob-ford-s-complicated-life

C N is right, you went too far. Smarten up, stick to his actions as Mayor, and leave his family out of it.

The actions of Ford's former brother-in-law have nothing to do with Ford. It was the act of one man who later after apparently being divorced from his Ford's sister killed someone. What's outrageous and creepy is your attempt to somehow pin this on Ford and his entire family. There is no excuse for this type of slander. I dare you to post your name/contact info and then wait for Ford's lawyers to call.

I'm not trying to pin this act on Rob Ford. Are you stupid? The Ford family culture - yes the family culture, the bozo brother Doug, the heroin addict sister, and the lingerie football playing sister, the whole lot of them - are not the kind of people who should be influencing the course of the city of Toronto.

So tell us what your family is like, so that we can judge you.

I'm not running for public office. I don't play politics as a tag team with a brother. Nor do I host political garden parties at my mom's house.

But since you ask, I also don't have any drug addicts or murderers in my family.

And AoD, I didn't call anyone stupid, I asked if they were stupid. After having statements of mine misconstrued at least twice I had to ask.

I just want to point out that the city of Toronto did vote for Rob Ford despite knowing about his drunken outburst at a Leafs game, his arrest and drug use in Florida, all his verbal gaffes etc, etc. Either the people of Toronto have an infinite capacity to forgive, or nobody cares. Time to move on.

I don't think many people knew what the Ford`s were really all about. They are slowly learning and seeing what dirt bags these guys really are. Thankfully enough people cared to stop the Ford's in their attempt to sell off our waterfront.

In my broad family, I have drug addicts, prostitutes, thieves, dunno about murderers unless adultery-triggered suicide counts as "murder"...and it's a terrific means of lending "perspective".

You made an abusive comment. You responded with a "are you stupid" comment. That's basically calling someone stupid.

You're trying to paint Ford and his entire family as trash first with the info that a former brother-in-law of Ford committed a horrific crime which Ford has nothing to do with and now you're attacking his entire family and it's all because you don't like Ford. Ford isn't responsible for his brother, his niece or his sister.

For god's sake, Smitherman was well known for being extremely abusive while in office, threatened people, was corrupt and had a well documented history of a raging, out of control drug problem and I never see the same hostility that people like you, throw in his direction. Not once. Not on this forum. People very conviently looked the other way.

And for your information, most if not all families have their share of substance abuse issues, secrets and other issues. Society is full of this. I've been working with co-workers for years where I hear the never ending stories of drug use, infidelity, abuse, sociopathic behaviour, bad parenting, spoiled kids, and the list goes on.

I'd love to dissect your family history and see just how righteous you are when the skeletons start pouring out of the closet. There is a huge double standard here with the Ford haters. They cry at his every flaw, call him names, vilify him and his family all the while presenting themselves as righteous while using language, tactics and attacks that are extremely hostile and creepy.

The hypocrisy of yourself and others wrapping yourselves in the cloak of decency is just appalling.

The comment didn't make sense, and it seems odd trying to paint Ford as trash simply because of the actions of an ex-brother-in-law.

However, at the same time, I'm not sure how you can defend someone who quite clearly is trash, simply from his own actions. The drug use, the repeated alcohol use. The criminal conviction. Numerous run-ins with the law, including the arrest for beating his wife. The ACC incident, the numerous accusations of verbal abuse by family members, colleagues, employees, media, and even his former football players. The numerous bizarre comments about ethnicity, while not entirely racist, sound like phrases that someone in the 70s would use, and not someone in their 30s. The anti-gay prejudice.

The vast and never-ending examples of Ford alone ... let alone his family, is beyond belief. It's like watching the Royle Family.

My question has been answered.

You got that right.

What's really going here is that Ford is another Harris and it's driving you guys nuts. So you justify tactics that are extremely sleazy to demonize Ford and now his entire family.

Recalled these posts from a couple years ago. Interesting, in hindsight.

Recalled these posts from a couple years ago. Interesting, in hindsight.

Heh. Today's a hit for Ford, though not a punchout. Hopefully his mayoral demise will be self-inflicted, though I would imagine that with a few fluff pieces on city unemployment and the budget, the Sun will pinch their noses and go back to supporting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back