149     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 235     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
No ... the issue is that he is clearly prejudiced against gays.

And such views are not acceptable in today's society.

And while it is surpising to me is that there are people out there who are so utterly prejudiced that think it is acceptable to go around telling others who they should, and shouldn't marry (and Rob Ford is one of these people). Though perhaps if it ended there, we wouldn't be in this issue. The complete boycott of Pride - one the biggest events in Toronto every year - is so utterly prejudicial that I'm stunned.

If Ford just doesn't care about such events ... let's see if he manages to stay 100% from something where his presence isn't necessary - like the Indy race.

You're not the thought police nfitz. Which is how you come across as. It's your way or no way.

In a country like Canada, people have the right to express views/opinions that others, like yourself, personally don't agree with. It's called a open, free society. Better get use to this. There are others out there who would try to rob you of your right to express your opinion too if they had the chance. Today, you shut down someone you don't like. Tomorrow, someone shuts you down.

It's a slippery slope. A very, dangerous slippery slope. Think about it.

Last edited:
Please, if you don't understand something just leave it. This exchange was cringe-worthy.

Also the environment can play a massive role in sexual practices.

I must admit I too thought pride was meaningless at this stage. Now I'm starting to think it's relevant to raise this 'debate' once a year to educate people better. Unfortunately not a lot of educating and a lot of 'bigotry moaning' is going on.

Black people understood themselves much better when they fought off discrimination.

And black people still face discrimination in this country. A good friend of mine, black, constantly tells me stories of subtle ways she's treated differently by society, here in tolerant Canada.

Last edited:
Not that I want to suppress free speech, and all that good stuff, but the specific one-on-one discussion (re: "bigots") has reached the end of its utility. I really don't want to shut this thread down or mass-delete posts.

Ford's agenda is to cut, cut and cut some more. That's what drives him. This is why the left are going nuts. One of my friends told me last year, that when the knives came out for Ford like in NOW and elsewhere, that it was because he was seen as the the new Mike Harris. And it made perfect sense. People will vilify when they see a threat, real or imagined. Happens at my work all the time.

Ford has a framed photo of Mike Harris displayed proudly on the wall of his office. He'd take being the 'new Mike Harris' as a compliment.

The problem is that he was elected with a promise not to cut services, but instead to cut gravy. People are right to be mad about his talk of service cuts because they amount to a broken promise.

Not that I want to suppress free speech, and all that good stuff, but the specific one-on-one discussion (re: "bigots") has reached the end of its utility. I really don't want to shut this thread down or mass-delete posts.

I think at this point, we can all agree to disagree. No one is budging on the matter and it's time to move on.

Ford has a framed photo of Mike Harris displayed proudly on the wall of his office. He'd take being the 'new Mike Harris' as a compliment.

The problem is that he was elected with a promise not to cut services, but instead to cut gravy. People are right to be mad about his talk of service cuts because they amount to a broken promise.

I'm confused. How did you take Ford promising to cut the gravy, which basically means cutting the fat out as somehow not meaning making cuts? It was pretty clear to most voters.

Last edited:
I attended one of those Ford Fests, not really by choice, I was dragged along. But it was really illuminating, and I don't regret going. Amongst the speakers was Jim Flaherty, who proudly boasted that the best years were Harris years. Rob Ford was in charge that night (and spoke better than I expected), Dougie was there, but quiet. It was an old-timey political picnic like the ones Liberals and Conservatives would hold in 19th century election seasons, where booze flowed freely, money collected (with or without receipts), and barn-burning speeches by partisans.

People liked Ford. He had the populist touch as a councillor, responding to calls and even interfering in other wards to make a point. He could also make a convincing argument that he could cut the gravy without any pain. I don't know what happened to the populism, I don't feel it anymore coming from him. Peter Principle at work.

I also met Gus Quasimodo, and he was not a very impressive person. He wouldn't touch the concerns regarding issues in Ward 9 (Augimeri at least cares) he really acted like a Ford puppet.

Last edited:
I'm confused. How did you take Ford promising to cut the gravy, which basically means cutting the fat out as somehow not meaning making cuts? It was pretty clear to most voters.

He promised he would not have to eliminate public services to balance his budget. He guaranteed it. He said he would find money solely through efficiencies. He has failed at that.

He clearly promised that he would make no cuts.

When you say your not going to cut services ... how do you take it?

Though given Rob Ford is a pathological liar - I agree it is pretty clear what was going to happen.

He promised he would not have to eliminate public services to balance his budget. He guaranteed it. He said he would find money solely through efficiencies. He has failed at that.

Ah, so like all politicians, Ford lied. Nothing new here.... And if Ford is a pathological liar then what does that make Dalton? The king of lies?

12.5% of his term is over. 87.5% remains.

Ford promised to cut gravy and had aligned that to mean spending beyond what is required to deliver a certain level of service or kickbacks and unnecessary benefits to politicians and city administrators. He said he would make no service cuts which to me means maintaining the same level of service but doing it for less because the city was wasting money.

And if Ford is a pathological liar then what does that make Dalton? The king of lies?
Is there any comparison? Ford's automatic reaction to any tough question is to lie. Did you verbally assault fans at the ACC last night while drunk - I wasn't even there (lie); Were you arrested in Florida for drunk driving - No (lie); What about the people on Finch West who won't get improved transit - We'll build them a subway too (lie).

That's a pathological liar; it's quite different to policy changes. And that's where Ford's no service cuts comment comes from ... I'm sure his handlers during the campaign weren't happy when he said that ... he just opened his mouth and it came out.

Would not have to cut public services does not mean staff cuts are off the table. Finding efficiencies in an organization typically means (at least in part) eliminating staff, salaries often being the largest part of the budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back