564     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 279     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good observations. I was thinking the same thing. He was elected to eliminate the gravy, yet plenty of it still exists? How can that be?

For his base, it won't matter. They'll blame the media for stopping him from doing his job.

As part of a larger project, I'm putting together a series of quotes under the title "Gravy or No Gravy". It is hilarious to read the Fords talk about how they've "ended the gravy train" and then two sentences later proclaim that "there's still a lot of waste out there". No wonder their communications people quit "on principle".

So Andy Byford and his staff did the leg work on the reseach for what the Mayor wants.

Is that not the TTC staffs job.

• The public and politicians state what they want - "Subways for Scarborough"
  • TTC experts interpret what the public says - "We do not want a transfer"
  • TTC experts come up with a solution to the problem - "extend the B-D Subway"
I do not expect the Mayor, or Council, the TTC board, or even the TTC Chair to be able to come up with the best transit plans. They can just give their general wants.

If is up to the "experts" to fit those "wants" into a coherent plan. This entire thing was not even about "subways", it was about eliminating the transfer. Evidence of this is that two years prior, Ford even accepted the grade-separated LRT to solve the transfer problem. "Subways" was just the publics way of saying, in their uneducated way, that they do not like the transfer. It is just sad that the TTC experts were not able to come up with a better and less expensive way of getting rid of the forced transfer.

Anyone good at video editing? Can we take that video and add soundbites of Rob and Doug calling people wimps and complaining about people whining? It didn't even come close to him. Or better yet, add the soundbites about them talking about how it hit him in the face? and how it hurt? and then add the complaining about whiners and wimps?

Anyone know where someone might find an audio or video clip of when he said it hit him in the face?

I've been trying to find it too. I can edit something together pretty quickly but haven't found the audio. It's probably somewhere in the NewsTalk1010 archives but I couldn't submit myself to listening through his shows and come out with my sanity. I'm sure somebody will piece this together soon enough.

This quote would be good to place in the video:

"It's not funny. That hurt, man. When it hits you in the face, you don't expect it, right?"
-- Rob Ford, Newstalk1010 June 17th 2013

... followed by: Liar. The cup missed him entirely, he doesn't even flinch.

... and ended with On July 16th, 2013 Rob Ford gave a false statement to the Toronto Police needlessly using up Police and Court resources and wasting your tax dollars.

I'll do this myself if I can find the audio but whoever puts this together, needs to make it clear that Ford is a liar and a bully. Make those labels stick and I can't think of many people with any morals who would vote for a liar and a bully. The trick is making Ford famous for those two things and visual evidence in a viral video is exactly what is needed.

Last edited:
Try asking Siobhan Morris about it? She seems like the only newstalk1010 person who would be receptive to helping with something like this. I'm not sure if she could give you the audio, but she may be able to point you in the direction of it.

I've been trying to find it too. I can edit something together pretty quickly but haven't found the audio. It's probably somewhere in the NewsTalk1010 archives but I couldn't submit myself to listening through his shows and come out with my sanity. I'm sure somebody will piece this together soon enough.

This quote would be good to place in the video:

... followed by: Liar. The cup missed him entirely, he doesn't even flinch.

... and ended with On July 16th, 2013 Rob Ford gave a false statement to the Toronto Police needlessly using up Police and Court resources and wasting your tax dollars.

I'll do this myself if I can find the audio but whoever puts this together, needs to make it clear that Ford is a liar and a bully. Make those labels stick and I can't think of many people with any morals who would vote for a liar and a bully. The trick is making Ford famous for those two things and visual evidence in a viral video is exactly what is needed.

It should be taken even farther... a video for every incident Ford was caught in a lie where video/audio exists of both the lie and the actual truth.

As for this particular audio clip, the 1010 internet archives seem to end the week after June 16th show. Does anyone frequent these archives often? Is the conspiracy nutcase in the back of my head right in thinking something is odd with this, or is it just coincidence with the archives only dating back so far?

This entire thing was not even about "subways", it was about eliminating the transfer.
I think you're hearing things, or tend to reinterpret what you hear so that it conforms to your own beliefs.

When I hear people and the Mayor shouting about subways in Scarborough, I hear people saying "we do not want public transit making driving more difficult", and "Scarborough is being treated as second class if they don't have the same order of transit as those downtown". My guess is that the people shouting the loudest don't use the TTC, and aren't particularly concerned about a transfer.

Anyway, if we let experts come up with the solution we'd be going forward with most of the LRT plans. Gary Webster was fired for recommending plans that didn't reflect the Mayor's concerns. And since then politicians (Stintz with One City, Glen Murray) have been building their own lines on the back of envelopes.

It should be taken even farther... a video for every incident Ford was caught in a lie where video/audio exists of both the lie and the actual truth.

As for this particular audio clip, the 1010 internet archives seem to end the week after June 16th show. Does anyone frequent these archives often? Is the conspiracy nutcase in the back of my head right in thinking something is odd with this, or is it just coincidence with the archives only dating back so far?

Short videos go viral much more frequently. One video per lie that could be made into a series of videos could be the best approach.

Given what I've heard of John Laschinger's campaign concepts for Olivia Chow, I don't think she's going to be addressing Ford very often, instead focusing on standing out as a breath of fresh air bringing positivity and an inspiration for a better Toronto. While she won't hold back in calling him out in the debates, she's going to rely on other candidates and external parties to do the negative anti-Ford campaigning and point out his disastrous record. I'm happy to lend my video editing and graphic design resources to that role.

Short videos go viral much more frequently. One video per lie that could be made into a series of videos could be the best approach.

Given what I've heard of John Laschinger's campaign concepts for Olivia Chow, I don't think she's going to be addressing Ford very often, instead focusing on standing out as a breath of fresh air bringing positivity and an inspiration for a better Toronto. While she won't hold back in calling him out in the debates, she's going to rely on other candidates and external parties to do the negative anti-Ford campaigning and point out his disastrous record. I'm happy to lend my video editing and graphic design resources to that role.

According to latest reports in the STAR Warren Kinsella is on board the Chow team so he will be her "attack dog"

According to latest reports in the STAR Warren Kinsella is on board the Chow team so he will be her "attack dog"

Good observation. Kinsella is custom fit for that job. Olivia herself will stay out of it I think. She won't have to get dirty but we all know that Olivia's no pushover so she will have no issue pulling out all the punches on Ford in the final weeks when the prime time televised debates air. I sincerely hope that the moderator is somebody in the vain of Steve Paikin who will call Ford out on his inaccurate claims and insist on specifics and clarification. If someone like Stephen LeDrew is a moderator, I'm gonna lose it.

I'm trying to remember the debates I went to last time. I recall Ford being quiet most of the time, rolling his eyes when addressed by another candidate but never speaking unless he was specifically asked a question by the moderator and then still only repeating the same tired slogans without offering any substance. It worked at the time but I wonder how he'll get away with it when confronted with facts on a 4 year record that he has to wear. I'm afraid that perhaps he'll lie and claim that what the other candidates and even the moderator are saying is false.

This election is going to be both very entertaining but also terrifyingly nail biting. Despite what the polls show, there's a real chance that the opposing campaigns can trip up. Adam Giambrone's brilliantly prepared campaign was unexpectedly aborted before it could shine and its substitute never managed to right itself up. I can't fathom the prospect of Ford being Mayor for another four years. Even if he's criminally charged sometime soon, his trial could be stalled by procedural tricks and wouldn't be held until after the election, and it would be some time before it wrapped up and he'd be sentenced -- worse, it may not even come with enough jail time to boot him out of office. Ford could turn out to be the Smitherman of the Conservatives. If Tory and Stintz stay out or if they don't gather enough momentum, then there may be a lot of Conservatives who will have no choice but to hold their nose and vote for Ford if the only option is a left of centre candidate -- Olivia Chow.

If the citizens of Toronto elect Ford again after all this, it's going to be hard not give up on this city and take the opportunity to move abroad for 4 or 5 years. The sad things is, I've lost a lot of faith in Torontonias to do the right thing.

Last edited:
Good observation. Kinsella is custom fit for that job. Olivia herself will stay out of it I think. She won't have to get dirty but we all know that Olivia's no pushover so she will have no issue pulling out all the punches on Ford in the final weeks when the prime time televised debates air. I sincerely hope that the moderator is somebody in the vain of Steve Paikin who will call Ford out on his inaccurate claims and insist on specifics and clarification. If someone like Stephen LeDrew is a moderator, I'm gonna lose it.

I'm trying to remember the debates I went to last time. I recall Ford being quiet most of the time, rolling his eyes when addressed by another candidate but never speaking unless he was specifically asked a question by the moderator and then still only repeating the same tired slogans without offering any substance. It worked at the time but I wonder how he'll get away with it when confronted with facts on a 4 year record that he has to wear. I'm afraid that perhaps he'll lie and claim that what the other candidates and even the moderator are saying is false.

This election is going to be both very entertaining but also terrifyingly nail biting. Despite what the polls show, there's a real chance that the opposing campaigns can trip up. Adam Giambrone's brilliantly prepared campaign was unexpectedly aborted before it could shine and its substitute never managed to right itself up. I can't fathom the prospect of Ford being Mayor for another four years. Even if he's criminally charged sometime soon, his trial could be stalled by procedural tricks and wouldn't be held until after the election, and it would be some time before it wrapped up and he'd be sentenced -- worse, it may not even come with enough jail time to boot him out of office. Ford could turn out to be the Smitherman of the Conservatives. If Tory and Stintz stay out or if they don't gather enough momentum, then there may be a lot of Conservatives who will have no choice but to hold their nose and vote for Ford if the only option is a left of centre candidate -- Olivia Chow.

If the citizens of Toronto elect Ford again after all this, it's going to be hard not give up on this city and take the opportunity to move abroad for 4 or 5 years. The sad things is, I've lost a lot of faith in Torontonias to do the right thing.

Well said. I guess we will see if there still is remnants left of "Toronto, the good".
And while Giambrone would be no where near the disaster that Ford is, he is a douche bag, and I am glad he is not mayor either.

Last edited:

I feel the same way. If by some miracle Ford isn't in jail/dead/totally disgraced by the next election and somehow manages to pull another victory out of his ass, I am out of here. I really just couldn't stand it. I don't think it's likely, though.

At this point, who knows if Ford'll even seek to attend mayoral debates? He might just as well declare them "biased" in toto and go straight to the people/taxpayers instead.

Thus framing the debate attendees as "same-old same-old--I'm different". Anything to control the message and the spotlight.

And again--he won't be so desperate as to resort to "Zionist conspiracy" talk, probably because he's too dumb to know what Zionism is. To him, the so-called "Zionists" are taxpayers like all others. He'll probably stick to the same old "media elites" and "left-of-Stalins", and any crazed desperation moves would less likely involve sound bites than thuggish goon squads. (Remember that in many a third world dictatorship, it's the "Don Bosco football gangsta" no-hope equivalents that are typically enlisted to lay down the law and protect Ye Supreme Leader.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back