915     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any theories about why Ford even wants to be mayor? I really can't understand why any person with his history would want to be in his position. I mean, what does he get out of this job at all? Does he genuinely care about Toronto or are the true motives hidden? Rob could have stepped out of the spotlight, worked at Deco and be a very rich man. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Attention. Well at least when things go right, then he does his best to find scapegoats, and distractions. Robbie's interest, and success at university is a good example that working at Deco was a mistake; to much responsibility in either places. If Robbie can't play, then he is not happy; case in point, his fixation on sports, especially football.

Mayor Rob Ford makes catch of the day - Mayor Hazel McCallion!

1297455307371_ORIGINAL.jpg

(We need a caption contest for this one)

More pictures and story from the Toronto SUN http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/15/mayor-rob-ford-makes-catch-of-the-day--mayor-hazel-mccallion

She said she only had two beers.

Last edited:
If all the cops are certain of the existence of the crack tape, if they have it in their possession, you'd think this would make Ford damaged goods in their eyes. So that when something like last weekend happens, when Ford is found inebriated 20 feet from his vehicle making the high-pitched desperate denial, "I'm not driving, I'm not driving, I"m not driving," this would be an opportunity for them to distance themselves from the guy. Maybe they can't actually charge him if no one saw him behind the wheel, but they could make it clear they find the behaviour suspicious and they have him under watch. Maybe they could even ask him a few questions about how he actually arrived there in that condition. But instead they still seem to want to shield him. Does job title carry that much weight, even when someone is clearly flailing about in the job? Or are cops just naturally inclined to protect the moneyed and powerful from the attention of the riff-raff?

Last edited:
As mentioned before, it would take someone much more dumb than Layton to not know there was a good chance he was exploiting someone or that a seedy Chinatown "shiatsu" massage parlor is not suspicious. That is just willful ignorance.

I'm not saying that the former is OK, only that there is a clear distinction between directly perpetrating exploitation and indirectly supporting it. Neither are fine, but there is a difference between the two.

Well, I think this is moral equivalence. There is a clear difference between someone who steals a car and someone who purchases a stolen car. Yes, the latter is implicated in the crime, but these are recognized as different crimes by the law and are clearly different magnitudes of wrong.

Unfortunately our society is set up in such a way that most people indirectly support exploitation multiple times daily. Its in the very fabric of our society. In fact, if you trace every purchase back far enough through however many degrees of connection, its quite possible literally every purchase you make supports some sort-of injustice or exploitation. Furthermore, any purchase by a consumer involves some degree of uncertainty - its not possible to be completely clean or not morally compromised in some way. As well, with almost any consumer purchase there is a degree of moral compromise - eat meat and animals need to be slaughtered, have a pet and buy them food which is processed in developing nations with high rates of starvation and hungry poor. Yes, there are a lot of injustices, but that doesn't mean they are all of the same severity.

So, yes, in lieu of this, I do think several degrees of separation do dilute the severity of supporting exploitation in contrast to directly administering it. There's a difference between buying a food product, which you need for eating and which probably does support exploitation in some way if you trace it back far enough, and directly exploiting an immigrant sex worker by making her jerk you off.

The reason I really don't like your line of thinking is that it excuses basically any immorality and draws a moral equivalence between everybody no matter the degree of their crimes. Do you really think you (who I'm going to assume has purchased a Nestle product in your life, or Apple, or some other major corporation product) are the same as a guy who flew to Thailand and fucked a kid once? You really want to equivocate that? There's a clear difference in severity there. I feel like it really takes a lot of academic, spurious reasoning to equivocate these two things.

Fair enough. The reason I see the Layton scandal as more problematic is because his act was directly exploiting someone.

Sure...:eek:

Well, we don't know that, but we do know that it was under investigation by the police and that it was located in a neighborhood where there are a lot of illicit massage parlors. Plus, he was naked, which should have set off red flags for him.

If the officer had an axe to grind against Layton, he could easily have arrested Layton or leaked this to the press the moment it happened. This "axe to grind" argument is the exact same narrative some Ford supporters use in regard to the Toronto Star, and it just doesn't wash.

Another argument leveled at Ford which equally applies here is that Layton never denied the allegations. There's a police officer, with his notes from the day as proof, alleging Layton was at a massage parlor, was naked, had wet tissues disposed of, and Layton not only confirmed that he was at the parlor on the day and encountered the police, but did not deny being naked or any of the other allegations.

The whole Layton scenario has about as much proof as the Ford-crack scandal. There's no concrete proof, but all logic and reason, along with the reactions of the targeted parties, points towards the allegations being true.
Jesus, I feel like George C.Scott in Hardcore at this point. "Shut it off!!!" No more rub and tug talk. Please! No one cares and it's been talked out.

i don't understand what the crack video would have to do with the project traveller cases. isn't it a side element? something that got caught up in the raids. if it's evidence, it's evidence of what?

and what sorts of things can't the media publish? if they do have info they can't publish, aren't there other ways to get that info out?

all this teasing is driving me nuts!

the reason they can't publish is because their editor won't sign off on it. the reason he won't sign off is because the sourcing is not 150% air tight.
they are sitting on all these stories pending further corroboration of the story, more evidence, more details, an on-the-record interview etc.
a lot of this stuff WILL come out, but as i've said before, the story has to be absolutely bullet-proof.
look at the Bruno Bellissimo story for the kind of info that has to be in there for these things to get the go-ahead.
any story that gets published at this point has to pass an insanely high bar for the Globe or Star to dive into the toxic maelstrom that is Rob Fraud.
the Sun seems to be following its own path here--not sure what their end game is.

do you think he could be grabbing hazel's boobs? how low do you think they'd be on a 92 year old?

'How low do you think they'd be on a 92 year old? Really?

Three thoughts came to mind as I read your question, juvenile, ageist and misogynist. Oh, and the fact that the Mayor McCallion has, without question, accomplished much in her life, and that she possesses a very sharp intellect.

Last edited:
the reason they can't publish is because their editor won't sign off on it. the reason he won't sign off is because the sourcing is not 150% air tight.
they are sitting on all these stories pending further corroboration of the story, more evidence, more details, an on-the-record interview etc.
a lot of this stuff WILL come out, but as i've said before, the story has to be absolutely bullet-proof.
look at the Bruno Bellissimo story for the kind of info that has to be in there for these things to get the go-ahead.
any story that gets published at this point has to pass an insanely high bar for the Globe or Star to dive into the toxic maelstrom that is Rob Fraud.
the Sun seems to be following its own path here--not sure what their end game is.

I think it's best if the story does stall out until next year. Let Ford start running for mayor during the real election phase and then have it come out. He won't be able to dodge q's for 8 days if he's in election mode. Also, if the story came out now (assuming there wasn't charges laid) he could go to rehab and be 'fixed' by election time.

plus his numbers would likely drop dramatically the first few months after it being released, but if you give it a few months people would forget about it and his numbers would likely pick up a little.

I think it's best if the story does stall out until next year. Let Ford start running for mayor during the real election phase and then have it come out. He won't be able to dodge q's for 8 days if he's in election mode. Also, if the story came out now (assuming there wasn't charges laid) he could go to rehab and be 'fixed' by election time.

Honestly unless someone gets arrested I don't think it really matters what the media print. It will always just be a "left wing conspiracy" and Rob "saved a billion dollars". So I'd rather just have the story break sooner rather than later. (First paper that goes to press with it gets my digital subscription money)

I'm not saying that Rob will definitely get elected again... who knows. I'm just not completely convinced that any scandal will change Ford Nation's mind that much.

i would tend to agree with you at this point. i think most of the um, 'stuff' that is going to hit the fan is going to be unleashed during the campaign. as you point out, he won't be able to go into 'anything else?' mode in the heat of an election.

it is going to be astounding ugly, and Rob and Doug will go down swinging, like the thuggish petty boneheads they are, but there is no doubt that their countless enemies in the media will make sure that the real Rob Ford is revealed. and once that happens he will to be a completely unacceptable option for any sentient human being.

what all that will mean to the hardcore Ford Nation RobOts, i've no idea. i really have no sense of the numbers of people who would be that deluded, uniformed, selfish, stupid, resentful, bitter, spiteful or whatever it is that would make someone knowingly re-elect a guy so demonstrably unfit to hold public office.

people that have absolutely no standards are kind of hard to factor in.

If all the cops are certain of the existence of the crack tape, if they have it in their possession, you'd think this would make Ford damaged goods in their eyes. So that when something like last weekend happens, when Ford is found inebriated 20 feet from his vehicle making the high-pitched desperate denial, "I'm not driving, I'm not driving, I"m not driving," this would be an opportunity for them to distance themselves from the guy. Maybe they can't actually charge him if no one saw him behind the wheel, but they could make it clear they find the behaviour suspicious and they have him under watch. Maybe they could even ask him a few questions about how he actually arrived there in that condition. But instead they still seem to want to shield him. Does job title carry that much weight, even when someone is clearly flailing about in the job? Or are cops just naturally inclined to protect the moneyed and powerful from the attention of the riff-raff?

Remember that the police also have their own motives, wages, popular support and protection from whistle-blowers and investigations being some of them. In my opinion, the police don't mind Ford at all, with him in charge, it's been a pretty decent time for the police so far. Hence the idiom- don't upset the applecart. If they continue to support Ford, they can even use the video to twist his arms behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back