55     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 492     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Matlow's dumfounded reactions to the Mayor's complete and utter ignorance of the LTR issue - both its operations and financing - was almost impossible to watch. And not just because this man runs the fourth largest city on the continent. But that this squabble between councillor and mayor will almost play out verbatim in the Tory/Chow vs. Ford debates a year from now.

The contender(s) will call out Ford on his ignorance and rejection of facts, smirking at Ford's robotic talking point responses, all the while doing absolutely NOTHING to reverse a good 1/3 of the city's iron clenched support for the Mayor. You can't debate issues with Ford. He will lie with a straight face and resort to the typical "that's what the folks of Toronto tell me every day" and "I'm here to stop the gravy train" slogans which is like cat nip to his core.

Laschinger and company have to concoct an incredibly robust, post-partisan campaign machine to work around the seemingly unpenetrable "Fordspeak."

Last edited:
It is the MOST depressing 'debate" but if one is surprised at Ford's behaviour and lack of knowledge one has clearly not been paying attention for the last few years.

Laschinger and company have to concoct an incredibly robust, post-partisan campaign machine to work around the seemingly unpenetrable "Fordspeak."

That's why I find it impossible to get excited about electoral politics. Rather than have voters/candidates (who understand and can actually) debate the issues, we must cater to the lowest common denominator, using pictures and soundbites wherever possible so as not to go over people's heads.

And for the record, while I love Miller, I nearly puked when I saw Laschinger's "Looks like a mayor" campaign materials in 2006.

He's never been a bigger fool than today, and that's really saying something. He refuses, refuses, to answer questions directly on his own Motions - he just runs around in circles about taxpayers.

Just ridiculous. I read your comment and then switched over to the Sun's comments. The very first one was "Why doesn't Gord Let Me have My Perks leave him alone? He's answered the question now this lefty union shill won't stop badgering rob."

I'm not surprised that he doesn't even really understand what an LRT is. The same way he doesn't get what a P3 is -- he really does think that it means someone -- who isn't a taxpayer -- pays for subways. It's insane.

During the debate, Councillor Pam McConnell said that she was once "only" a Grade Five teacher and asked Mayor Rob Ford to explain his math, because she couldn't understand how a $5 increase in property taxes would have helped pay for a subway. He couldn't.

Shelley Carroll was near a mike that was still on and just stated that 'The Mayor just learned that an LRT isn't on the road?' 'I'm not kidding/lying, someone just showed him' (something on a document).

Utterly unbelievable. What a fool he is.

Watching in person at his laboured attempts at thinking, and going by his utterly illogical rationing, I'm now thoroughly convinced that he's borderline mentally retarded. I'm not kidding or mean that as an insult: I genuinely believe that his IQ is below 70, the threshold below which one could be diagnosed with mental retardation.

I don't disagree. He's definitely demonstrated some cognitive impairment. No joking -- outside of stumbling through a prepared speech - - has he used more than 20 different words since he became Mayor?

What does that mean? 53 percent didn't elect him. Do we also deserve him?

It says as much about a city when an uneducated fool as Rob Ford who doesn't know that the Scarborough LRT will not run in the street gets elected..I mean stupid can one be...It doesn't matter that everyone didnt vote for him. Just the fact that he was able to get elected here with 47% percent support says as much about Toronto as we need to know. Do you think a clown like Rob Ford can be elected in New York, London, or Paris. We are being viewed as a fucking joke.

It says as much about a city when an uneducated fool as Rob Ford who doesn't know that the Scarborough LRT will not run in the street gets elected..I mean stupid can one be...It doesn't matter that everyone didnt vote for him. Just the fact that he was able to get elected here with 47% percent support says as much about Toronto as we need to know. Do you think a clown like Rob Ford can be elected in New York, London, or Paris. We are being viewed as a fucking joke.

To be fair, NYC is on the verge of electing a mayor whose biggest accomplishment is texting pictures of his penis to random women, so Toronto's not the only city that's struggling with popular democracy.

^true, but weiner has at least a triple-digit IQ. For some reason, I take comfort that Harper, for all his faults, can at least lay claim to being smart enough to screw us over. I'm missing that comfort with rofo the epsilon semimoron.

Just ridiculous. I read your comment and then switched over to the Sun's comments. The very first one was "Why doesn't Gord Let Me have My Perks leave him alone? He's answered the question now this lefty union shill won't stop badgering rob."

I'm not surprised that he doesn't even really understand what an LRT is. The same way he doesn't get what a P3 is -- he really does think that it means someone -- who isn't a taxpayer -- pays for subways. It's insane.

He doesn't need to- knowing math or what an LRT is only for people without the power of Ford Nation. Willful ignorance is perfectly fine for him, because it's worked so far.

As such,

No need to learn + confidence + no will to learn = nothing learnt

That's why I find it impossible to get excited about electoral politics. Rather than have voters/candidates (who understand and can actually) debate the issues, we must cater to the lowest common denominator, using pictures and soundbites wherever possible so as not to go over people's heads.

And for the record, while I love Miller, I nearly puked when I saw Laschinger's "Looks like a mayor" campaign materials in 2006.

It doesn't necessarily need to be that way. You can cater to the lowest common denominator to get into power, and then run the city intelligently. Unfortunately, that takes massive willpower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back