199     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 380     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I can understand how people can get frustrated and start name calling, the mods are supposed to be dealing with that stuff, and it is against the forum rules, but for some reason this thread it does not apply to, just because the majority don't feel the same way as a vocal minority, and that's not cool.

Let's get one thing straight here, this is what I was replying to:

Oh please. There was never a video to begin with. A sad day for Ford haters, wah wah wahhhhh.

So, um, yeah - I don't understand how people can be so stupid. That's not name calling, that's me expressing an opinion. But let's say I said to the guy "You're a moron" - well, if you're going to troll, you have to be a big boy and deal with the fact that maybe people will call you a name that will make you sad inside. You sleep in the bed you make. I'm not deriding people for their opinions, but trolling is trolling. I'm not sure why you're sticking up for trolls and why your skin is so thin, but don't forget you can also just ignore it if you don't like it. It's not the mods' job to ensure your feelings aren't hurt.

I've been holding back on posting what I'm hearing because my source is now twice removed from Ford's circle but I've heard this so many times in the past couple of days that it may just be worth talking about: Ford has been really upset since Sunday night. Like red faced furious upset, like shouting at his brother upset.

Did you hear this from the same or multiple sources?

This fake tape is only strengthening Ford's base, over the past few days I have heard more and more people rallying in his defense, the Star is losing its credibility as a once decent paper in this battle, it’s basically a tabloid mag now. Waiting to hear what new rumors the Ford haters try to start up next. Along with a surplus in the hands of an administration that can actually handle it properly by putting it towards the debt and not spending it frivolously the Fords look stronger than ever.

This fake tape is only strengthening Ford's base, over the past few days I have heard more and more people rallying in his defense, the Star is losing its credibility as a once decent paper in this battle, it’s basically a tabloid mag now. Waiting to hear what new rumors the Ford haters try to start up next. Along with a surplus in the hands of an administration that can actually handle it properly by putting it towards the debt and not spending it frivolously the Fords look stronger than ever.

The surplus from the Land Transfer Tax ford wants to scrap?

You realize it's the smallest surplus we've had in 4 years, right? Which isn't to pooh-pooh a surplus - but it doesn't mean what you think it means, and it doesn't mean Ford is some game-changer. Also note that 20% of the surplus came from increased ridership and savings from the TTC. IE - TTC customers helped with the surplus! IE - taxpayers!!

I'm just going to ignore the "fake tape" shit because that's just silly.

I hope you realize that this surplus you're speaking of is the smallest in more than four years. And that in Toronto, a surplus is basically budgeted money that wasn't spent (eg: I planned to spend $1,000 in Niagara today, but only spent $975). And that the bulk of the surplus was due to increased ridership and lower gas costs at the TTC.

The ironic thing about the surplus at the TTC is that if Ford had his way and decreased ridership on the system, the TTC very likely would not have contributed to the surplus.

Bet Ford didn't tell you that.

Last edited:
Scrap the land transfer tax? I wish. I mean downtowners wont care but residents in the northern end of the city along Steeles are seeing their homes passed over for cheaper alternatives across the street because of this cash grab. But at the very least a reduction would be nice, but even with a smaller surplus I feel better that its in the right hands going towards the debt and capital expenses...not some lefty pet projects...

Scrap the land transfer tax? I wish. I mean downtowners wont care but residents in the northern end of the city along Steeles are seeing their homes passed over for cheaper alternatives across the street because of this cash grab. But at the very least a reduction would be nice, but even with a smaller surplus I feel better that its in the right hands going towards the debt and capital expenses...not some lefty pet projects...

Except that the property tax on the very same house one block north of Steeles is higher than the same house one block south of Steeles.

"CBC News has learned there are now questions about whether the police may have seized the video as part of a developing murder investigation.

The RCMP recently arrested a man in Fort McMurray, Alta., in connection with a March killing outside a downtown Toronto nightclub. Anthony Smith, the victim in that slaying, appears in a photograph beside Ford that appears on Gawker's website.

Six media organizations, including the CBC, are now asking the courts for a look inside sealed police documents to find out whether the RCMP seized a cellphone or computer that may contain video evidence connected to the Ford affair."

Doesn't look quite over yet.

Seriously, guys, we know that there was a video, and it's not a faked one. But slithery Ford has outmanoeuvred everyone in the chase, it would appear. Or as others are suggesting, that video may someday be seen by a judge and a jury, but I think that is all beside the point now. It's time for a banding together of all who want to show Ford the door. In other words, let's look toward the next election and start the search for a suitable candidate for mayor -- someone who won't disgrace the office, hopefully a centrist. Enough of Ford. He's stale old toast. I yearn for something else on the front pages in Toronto.

Agree, though as a general comment, I'd say that the affliction of which you speak affects all sides of the political spectrum fairly evenly. Like priesthood, politics doesn't exactly attract the best and brightest amongst us....

Still, for whatever reason, it's definitely more enjoyable to watch some fall than others. I can't wait to see that video. It's gotta be out there somewhere.

That's why I hate party politics, they push fundamentalist dogmas; ever watch a daytime soap? Real discussions rarely take place in this "all or nothing" atmosphere, and those who are in denial of their psychoses thrive.

If Ford was/is using some substance that is illegal or has a substance abuse like a lot of people, is really not the problem. The real breach of public trust is lying about it the situation.

Remember Bill Clinton and what he had to say about sexual relations?

Last edited:
...let's look toward the next election and start the search for a suitable candidate for mayor -- someone who won't disgrace the office, hopefully a centrist. Enough of Ford. He's stale old toast. I yearn for something else on the front pages in Toronto.

^It's a nice idea, and in a rational, sane world (i.e. one in which a known criminal, liar, wife beater, addict, racist, homophobe, etc. didn't get elected mayor of our supposedly progressive, cosmopolitan city) I would be arm-in-arm with you. But, here we are -- in THIS world with THIS mayor -- and I have to think there are still some lulz to be had watching this crackhead shaved ape try (successfully, in many cases) to smear feces over enough people's faces to obscure the horrific sight that is him still drawing breath and pumping blood.

Do I want him gone? Yes, but I always figured there were more than enough reasons never to have had him in the first place. Toronto is getting what it deserves. Let 100 trolls post and 100,000 trollish schools of thought contend.

^ I certainly understand you, vox. I have lost it, too, over Ford, angry that he can get, and keep, the position that he has so disgraced. I think I'll sanely keep my wits about me, though. I'll get in with the good guys next election and try to outfox the offensive Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back