News   Jun 25, 2024
 769     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 749     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Rob Ford wants subways, not streetcars

I honestly don't mind buses. They are more reliable, and faster. Its nice to ride shuttle buses on streetcar routes, as long as they have A/C and they're low floor. If most streetcar routes had ROW then keep them, but they don't.

RapidTransit,

How many times have you been on a streetcar and said to yourself, "I could get out and walk faster than this! How about if we keep a couple streetcar routes for the tourists, and get on with the business of real rapid transit? Has anyone even considered what it costs (including lost productivity) to tear up the streets and replace the streetcar tracks every few years?"

These are all reasonable and legitimate questions to ask with the TTC's proven track record of inefficiency with streetcars, including the exclusive ROW-separated Spadina and St Clair West cars. The TTC has more than 1,400 accessible buses running on more than 125 accessible routes. These buses are low-floor and equipped with a flip-ramp and kneeling feature. Most of these were purchased during the period 2002-2008. The average life span of a transit bus is 20 years, and each Orion VII hybrids vehicle costs $734,000, compared with $500,000 for a conventional bus. That means the 564 buses the TTC purchased in 2008 came to $413, 976,000 and won't reach end of life til 2028 or even later depending on the battery. By stark contrast the TTC is ordering 204 new LRVs from Bombarider which will total $1.22 billion (excluding taxes), that's $5,980,392 million and 15 cents per light-rail vehicle or enough to buy 8 state-of-the-art hydrid buses with change leftover!

So as far as long-term investments go the bus has the tram-car beat, for if every 20 years we can roll out a brand new bus we can stretch out that same money it'd take to purchase just one light-rail vehicle over a period of 160 years. Some people will try to fool you into thinking that this is a classist/status issue; but the bottom line in these debates is always speed, cost, ROI, the affects on other road users, affects to surrounding communities, and reliability of service.

LRTs are not faster than buses. It's the other things being done like having a ROW and wider stop separation that will determine trip times - independent of whether you have an LRT or buses.
And while LRT has a carrying capacity of 200-10,000 pphpd; Busway (i.e. buses running in a private ROW) can acheive 400-12,000 pphpd according to the Advanced Transit Association.

These two statements are internally inconsistent. An LRT (say a 90m train) will always have a higher capacity than an articulated bus simply because the bus can not be as long. This ability of additional length is given by the guiding track.

LRT in a private ROW like what Ottawa has (4 lanes wide, express/skip stop and local service in a single corridor) would allow 3 car trains (90m length) a total capacity of about 60,000 pphpd courtesy of ATC.

LRT can be significantly higher than 10,000 pphpd but it begins to look at awful lot like a heavy metro so we stop considering it to be an LRT. In fact, you can find dozens of metros which actually run low- or high-floor LRT vehicles.

My priorities are as follows:
1) Minimize capital (while satisfying demand todays demand and allow a minimum 30 years growth)
2) Minimize width of ROW (required to carry todays demands and allow 30 years growth)
3) Minimize operational expenses. This is accomplished in Toronto by reducing manpower; longer higher capacity vehicles are one way of doing this
4) Assume technology improvements will buy an additional 10 years after that 30 (ATC version II may allow 30 second headways)
5) Put it everywhere possible. There are about a dozen streets which were identified as going from "green" (acceptable use for capacity) to "red" (over capacity just like downtown) between 2001 and 2021; half of those are on Transit Cities list. We really do need a 30 year stop-gap solution for about 300km of roadway.

Basically, if a subway lasts 100 years ...
This particular thought should be addressed. The "dirt move" portion will last 100+ years. The mechanical, tunnel liner, station seals, etc. require significant maintenance/replacements to survive that long. SOGR for the Toronto subway is in the hundreds of millions per year; every year; and will be forever. They do not last 100 years with no annual cost.

We don't need subway on Finch, Sheppard, York Mills, and Steeles. Each of those streets is going to be in desperate need of an upgrade of some type within 20 years or they will be at risk of having the same issues as Queen and King today (very large operating expense for people moved). It is easier to upgrade the transit portion before the congestion appears rather than afterward.

What is your solution for those 4 streets? 1 subway and 3 two-lane-BRTs?

By stark contrast the TTC is ordering 204 new LRVs from Bombarider which will total $1.22 billion (excluding taxes), that's $5,980,392 million and 15 cents per light-rail vehicle or enough to buy 8 state-of-the-art hydrid buses with change leftover!

Agreed. Though I think the public swallows this one time capital expense easier than hiring 100 more drivers for the same routes. The general public seems to be really freaking out about the number of employees the city has and their income achieved through overtime (80 to 100 hour work-weeks).

Politically, it was probably the right move. An investment banker may come up with a different strategy depending on externalities like tourism and city marketing; both of which are benefitted by the LRTs.

How do some of you sleep at night, spreading so many fallacies throughout this forum?
Given how many fallacies you have posted here, this statement is nothing but bizarre.

And what this has to do with Rob Ford's campaign is a mystery - unless this is a subtle joke about the fallacies that frequently come out of Rob Ford's mouth!

oi\\\it doesn't matter how many times you debunk Dentrobate's rants, he will just repeat the same things again next week.

oi\\\it doesn't matter how many times you debunk Dentrobate's rants, he will just repeat the same things again next week.

Just like I can count on you and your cohorts every single week to continue your sordid lynch mob obsession with trying to prove that I'm someone I am not.

You just posted inaccurate stats from a Pro-PRT site. Nothing more to say!

Well, you never have anything of substance to add to discussions anyway (well if you consider reverberating rhetoric from biased sources like Steve Munro, lightrailnow.org and/or wikipedia as counting as anything substantial). Good on you for following suit with this post. There's nothing inaccurate about the costing of the 564 Orion hydrid electric buses and the 204 light-rail vehicles purchased by the TTC that I posted. It's black-and-white fact on the TTC's website and in countless other articles. Please feel free to refute it. As for PPD, that's only one of dozens of websites that can corroborate that when placed in a dedicated ROW buses can carry more people in less time. And with better government subsidization in place, both the upfront and back-end costs of purchasing a bus on the City would be minimal.

If you weren't so hellbent on making subjective, incredulous statements like "I don't buses cause they rattle and jerk and are uncomfortable and move less people," then I wouldn't have felt compelled to point out the failings of your own preferential mode. Sorry.

Given how many fallacies you have posted here, this statement is nothing but bizarre.

I least I cited my sources. Tell me where outside of Steve Munroland do you hear transit planners talking about the jerkiness and discomfort of one mode while casting another one off as the second coming of Christ? The new forum member stated his personal preference and people here seized on the opportunity to try to indoctrinate him. I exaggerate but still, the bias against buses was very lopsided, although myself and probably most of you rely on at least one bus route to get around the city every day. It's the arrogance that buses are so beneath us (4th class, really?) yet without them most of the city/region transit users would suffer that I find most bizarre.

And what this has to do with Rob Ford's campaign is a mystery - unless this is a subtle joke about the fallacies that frequently come out of Rob Ford's mouth!

Haha. LRT has nothing to with Rob Ford's campaign, that's for damn sure. It's the pro-LRT folk whom have no business posting LRT propaganda in this thread. Mr. Ford's platform consists of improving bus and subway service throughout the entire city and not just along a segment of a corridor along 4 routes. I am not in error.

These two statements are internally inconsistent. An LRT (say a 90m train) will always have a higher capacity than an articulated bus simply because the bus can not be as long. This ability of additional length is given by the guiding track.

LRT in a private ROW like what Ottawa has (4 lanes wide, express/skip stop and local service in a single corridor) would allow 3 car trains (90m length) a total capacity of about 60,000 pphpd courtesy of ATC.

LRT can be significantly higher than 10,000 pphpd but it begins to look at awful lot like a heavy metro so we stop considering it to be an LRT. In fact, you can find dozens of metros which actually run low- or high-floor LRT vehicles.

Thanks for the civil reply.

I don't disagree. LRTs tend to have higher capacity. But they also tend to have lower frequency along busy streets. Sometimes I prefer to stand on an overcrowded bus if it means that I get to work on time vs. having to leave my house an hour in advance when I could have slept in 15 mins longer. PPD is dependant on factors independent of the technology, that's all I was saying and why I was annoyed. Ottawa BRT implementation in the 1990s has generated billions of dollars of high rise condo and office building development surrounding the BRT stations and paved the foundation for a future LRT upgrade in the future. And BRT installations in Curitiba, Brisbane, Calcutta, Bogota, Shanghai, etc. day to day prove buses are capable of the same capacity standards as rail at less expense in many areas.

My priorities are as follows:

Great suggestions! Improved, faster, public transit is a must for this city. The city should impose a 1% sales tax within the city limits to pay for it, but they have been told they can't do that. The province should instead divert 1% of sales tax collected within the GTA to help pay for this, but they won't do that. Bureaucratic red tape and overpaid union staff are a vein to actual solutions.

This particular thought should be addressed. The "dirt move" portion will last 100+ years. The mechanical, tunnel liner, station seals, etc. require significant maintenance/replacements to survive that long. SOGR for the Toronto subway is in the hundreds of millions per year; every year; and will be forever. They do not last 100 years with no annual cost.

When was the last time a whole subway line was shut down indefinitely for track maintenance though? That's an advantage of HRT upfront. And even if a busway needs to be repaved once every decade, it likely won't lead to road closures or take months to finish. I'm not saying O&M for either mode is superior to LRT, but the advantages of each technology should be known.

We don't need subway on Finch, Sheppard, York Mills, and Steeles. Each of those streets is going to be in desperate need of an upgrade of some type within 20 years or they will be at risk of having the same issues as Queen and King today (very large operating expense for people moved). It is easier to upgrade the transit portion before the congestion appears rather than afterward.

What is your solution for those 4 streets? 1 subway and 3 two-lane-BRTs?

The best solution for these corridors obviously is that precise scenario: a subway across Sheppard which possibly could interline with both YUS and BD at Downsview and Scarborough Centre respectively; and a BRT Busway across the 416 using the Cherrywood Hydro Corridor which shifts to on-street operations west of Weston Road (via road widening). Bus routes along Finch, Drewry/Cummer/McNicoll, and Steeles could share ROW for a certain length then transition onto their regular route. Is it really necessary for Scarborough residents to use any of these routes through North York if their intended destination is the Yonge Line? You can save customers alot of time by using a 4-lane trek through the hydro corridor which would still leave ample room for adjacent parklands and could be placed down the median as to minimize disruption to residents.

As for Albion-Wilson-York Mills-Ellesmere, I also think BRT would be suitable. The hardest challenge for ROW would be Hogg's Hollow. It could be overcome though by piggybacking a guideway beside the 401 between Yonge and Don Mills (with 122 Graydon Hall becoming the primary bus route west of DM on YM). ROW, all-door boarding and transit priority signals work just as efficiently for bus routes and they have the manuoverability to jump on and off the ROW at will. VIVA will prove this.

Well, you never have anything of substance to add to discussions anyway (well if you consider reverberating rhetoric from biased sources like Steve Munro, lightrailnow.org and/or wikipedia as counting as anything substantial). Good on you for following suit with this post. As for PPD, that's only one of dozens of websites that can corroborate that when placed in a dedicated ROW buses can carry more people in less time. And with better government subsidization in place, both the upfront and back-end costs of purchasing a bus on the City would be minimal.

I took about the bit about the cost of vehicles, since I did not even comment vehicles cost. Everyone knows buses cost less. However, you are not considering the cost of maintaining those "state of the art" hybrids. From what I am hearing the batteries on the "state of the art" buses are now lasting one year, instead of 4. So the TTC will have to change the batteries on those "state of the art" buses once a year! That's a lot of batteries. I wonder how much each battery cost? And the cost of disposal! Ooff! Not to mention the cost of diesel, considering the actual fuel savings for a hybrid bus compared to a diesel bus is only 10%! I think the TTC spent around $110milliom in diesel last year. No wonder the TTC stopped buying "state of the art" hybrids and stuck with diesel buses instead.

I can imagine there must be dozens of PRT sites that corroborate the claim Buses in ROW can carry more than LRT. I notice you conveniently left out LRT in ROW. PRT advocates are threatened by LRT. It's nothing new. I think it's only with the Heathrow installation(is it running yet?), that PRT advocates are finally admitting they have overstated some of their claims.
Here have a read, someone actually compared BRT, and LRT in ROW capacity, and the number of vehicles required:

http://www.publictransit.us/ptlibrary/modalcapacityTRB2003.pdf

http://www.publictransit.us/ptlibrary/ModalCapacity2005.htm

If you weren't so hellbent on making subjective, incredulous statements like "I don't buses cause they rattle and jerk and are uncomfortable and move less people," then I wouldn't have felt compelled to point out the failings of your own preferential mode. Sorry.

You seem to be hell-bent on trying to twist people's words. Bus DO rattle, and shakle, especially when the bus hits a pothole. ANd yes, they are more uncomfortable to ride compared to a rail vehicle, you can waste time, and energy trying to convince people otherwise. If given a choice, people would automatically take the streetcar. No matter what you do to dress up a bus, it's still a bus. Simple as that.
If no one like streetcars, why did people form coalitions, and meeting to talk about the state of the 501 Queen Car?

If buses are so great, why is Ottawa closer to replacing their bus rapid transit with light rail? See Ottawa, Closer than Ever to Replacing Bus Rapid Transit with Light Rail for more information at this link.

Because the BRT system has been so successful that the downtown portion of the line (which runs at-grade, in a dedicated lane on opposite 1-way streets) is nearing or at capacity. The rest of the system works fine, it's just the downtown portion (highest usage, lowest capacity portion) of the system that needs upgrading to a mode with a higher capacity.

And they aren't replacing the entire Transitway system with LRT, they're replacing the central portion of it. More than 2/3 of the system will still be BRT. In fact, they just finished a BRT expansion in the west end, and they're building a new BRT terminal at Algonquin College... Yeah, BRT is definitely being phased out...

I took about the bit about the cost of vehicles, since I did not even comment vehicles cost. Everyone knows buses cost less. However, you are not considering the cost of maintaining those "state of the art" hybrids.

When we're talking about an over $5.2 million cost disprenpancy per vehicle, it is critical to stress the greater affordability of buses. Look at how much time's been wasted negotiating for more LRVs and initial costing projections have ballooned. That enough money's ($1.25 B) being spent on purchasing new light-rail trams to build 5 kilometres of new subways where existing T1s could be routed or enough for 80 kilometres of new high calibre BRT busways; is something I wish for the public to know about.

From what I am hearing the batteries on the "state of the art" buses are now lasting one year, instead of 4. So the TTC will have to change the batteries on those "state of the art" buses once a year! That's a lot of batteries. I wonder how much each battery cost? And the cost of disposal! Ooff! Not to mention the cost of diesel, considering the actual fuel savings for a hybrid bus compared to a diesel bus is only 10%! I think the TTC spent around $110milliom in diesel last year. No wonder the TTC stopped buying "state of the art" hybrids and stuck with diesel buses instead.

Considering that 74% of the TTC's annual budget goes into workers wages alone, I do not think it's the cost of buying diesel that needs to be downsized.

As far as i know the busses are still under warranty (which is what allowed the batteries to be replaced at no cost). The fuel saving issues were quickly resolved and speaks to the emissions benefits. The lead-acid battery pack used in NYCT's Orion VII buses has an initial cost of $25,000, but replacement costs are less than half, since only the batteries are replaced and not the packaging and componentry. NiMH battery packs like those used in GM Allison buses cost between $35,000 and $45,000. The cost of NiMH batteries will drop as more are produced. Good thing for Sudbury.

And batteries used by Daimler, for instance, have a shelf life of 9 years on average and its not like we're stuck with Orion indefinitely. All I'm saying is give it a chance. Given that a large part of the funding for buses comes from other levels of government that "encourage" hybrid purchases means that IF they are lemons, the TTC is not the only one to blame. Yes, the system needs fixing, but this is hardly an issue with the technology itself.

I can imagine there must be dozens of PRT sites that corroborate the claim Buses in ROW can carry more than LRT. I notice you conveniently left out LRT in ROW. PRT advocates are threatened by LRT. It's nothing new. I think it's only with the Heathrow installation(is it running yet?), that PRT advocates are finally admitting they have overstated some of their claims.
Here have a read, someone actually compared BRT, and LRT in ROW capacity, and the number of vehicles required:

The only web source that matters to this deabte is the TTC: http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/etobicoke_finch_w_lrt/pdf/2008-08-07_open_house.pdf. They themselves claim BRT is suitable for PPHPD up to 6000-8000. LRT is required for routes exceeding 8000 PPHPD. That equates more people hourly travelling by bus than will use the TYSSE by the year 2031, which is forecasted at a dismal 2300 PPHPD. Finch West, Sheppard East, Jane, Morningside all fall below this minimum threshold; with the highest used Finch W carrying closer to 1313 PPHPD today and is forecasted (after years of on-road construction drives away potential users) to be around 2300-2800 PPHPD... at the densest point en route!

People like to point to the 510 Spadina as exemplar of what light-rail in Toronto can acheieve, however ridership has actually DECLINED from the heydays of the 77 Spadina bus and has only recently rebounded back to pre-LRT 1992 levels of use (those images I posted in the other forum should indicate why). Why are we throwing good money after bad?

You seem to be hell-bent on trying to twist people's words. Bus DO rattle, and shakle, especially when the bus hits a pothole. ANd yes, they are more uncomfortable to ride compared to a rail vehicle, you can waste time, and energy trying to convince people otherwise. If given a choice, people would automatically take the streetcar. No matter what you do to dress up a bus, it's still a bus. Simple as that.

When buses are routed on exclusive reserved lanes, the life span of BRT standard hot mix asphalt is about 16 years. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/QuieterPavement/CommonQuestions.htm

I am quite often on a hybrid bus considering that I dont live close to the subway, and to be honest, they're relatively comfortable. And all of GO train, subway, ICTS and streetcar does vibrate alot and makes a lot of noise. I've been on bus rides so soothing in the past that I've fallen asleep and often went past my stop. Yes, the old batteries did tend to break down and they do have an annoying new bus smell (comparable with the smell of burnt toast) but nothing that can't be improved as time goes on. I'll agree with you that they dont make them like they used to - the GM fishbowls are my favourite.

We're quick to judge our public institutions without giving them a chance to explain - all I'm asking is that we the citizens are given an opportunity to add to the conversation as well. Elitists love to tell us what's good for us without realizing how just basic solutions from the world over applied to our own situation could result in getting more done for less expense, in less time.

If no one like streetcars, why did people form coalitions, and meeting to talk about the state of the 501 Queen Car?

Who's twisting others' words now? I myself have talked with Steve Munro on his blog about the Queen car, and you know what, he happened to agree with me.

Back