News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Roadside Begging

I just don’t get it.
Agreed. But either enforce the law or get rid of it. Panhandling can never be ended, it's been around since the beginning of mankind. I'm only asking that the laws against people walking up the middle of the road, between the cars, knocking on windows be enforced - not with tickets or courts, that is a waste of time - but with a simple request from a police officer, ideally one out of their car and walking the beat. We did it with the squeegee kids, without involving courts and jails, and we almost never seem that issue anymore. But I will agree with others here that with limited TPS resources this cannot be a priority.
makes me think you...
Again, don't think, ask. You're making conclusions when I'll gladly elaborate on what I believe the larger issues are and what I believe can be done.

Last edited:
Agreed. But either enforce the law or get rid of it. Panhandling can never be ended, it's been around since the beginning of mankind. I'm only asking that the laws against people walking up the middle of the road, between the cars, knocking on windows be enforced - not with tickets or courts, that is a waste of time - but with a simple request from a police officer, ideally one out of their car and walking the beat. We did it with the squeegee kids, without involving courts and jails, and we almost never seem that issue anymore. But I will agree with others here that with limited TPS resources this cannot be a priority.

Again, don't think, ask. You're making conclusions when I'll gladly elaborate on what I believe the larger issues are and what I believe can be done.
You aren’t trying to change jay walking laws or any other law that we don’t enforce. You’re just trying to get people you don’t approve of off the street.

You can justify all you want but this is an absurd thread to start and strange hill to die on.

Panhandling has gotten out of control. Driving to work today, at around 11:30am, I stopped at a red light at the intersection of Clark Blvd. & Dixie in Brampton. A panhandler was standing at the median, walking up to people's windows with his hand held out while laughing and talking on a mobile phone. No lie.

Panhandling has gotten out of control. Driving to work today, at around 11:30am, I stopped at a red light at the intersection of Clark Blvd. & Dixie in Brampton. A panhandler was standing at the median, walking up to people's windows with his hand held out while laughing and talking on a mobile phone. No lie.
That nothing, saw a person last week sitting with a sign need money while playing on his laptop

Saw yesterday 2 standing at Hurontario 403 off ramp with hand and cup out taking on the photo.

Its real sad to see women working intersection, but more so when they small kids with them

It been said that some of these folks make over a $100 a day.

Yep. I've seen reasonably well dressed people begging while talking on a recent iPhone. At least the shaky lady understood the importance of theatrics and looking the part.

My wife's car hood has a dent in it from when she politely shook her head to an in-traffic panhandler who then went on a bender hitting cars.

Last edited:
Its real sad to see women working intersection, but more so when they small kids with them

Roma gangs are bad for that. What's sad is they drag their young kids with them pretending to be homeless or refugees. There used to be a Roma woman at my local Walmart begging for money saying she was a homeless refugee, she got busted as a fake when she got picked up and dropped off everyday by her husband in a Chevy Tahoe gas hog. I'm pretty sure i saw the same woman at a Walmart in Kitchener begging for money with the same sign. The best way to get rid of them is wave a job application in the air.

Also watch out for the violin scam. Roma couple tries to get money while their kid fakes violn playing. I saw this on my trip to Europe years ago, and saw it recently over the summer in Guelph. Kid was faking (rather badly) his violin playing while the mom tried to beg for cash with the "We are poor refugees" sign. Can't be that poor if you got moeny for a violin and a larage porpable blu tooth speaker. lol.

That scam is all over the US too.

Roma gangs are bad for that. What's sad is they drag their young kids with them pretending to be homeless or refugees. There used to be a Roma woman at my local Walmart begging for money saying she was a homeless refugee, she got busted as a fake when she got picked up and dropped off everyday by her husband in a Chevy Tahoe gas hog. I'm pretty sure i saw the same woman at a Walmart in Kitchener begging for money with the same sign. The best way to get rid of them is wave a job application in the air.

Also watch out for the violin scam. Roma couple tries to get money while their kid fakes violn playing. I saw this on my trip to Europe years ago, and saw it recently over the summer in Guelph. Kid was faking (rather badly) his violin playing while the mom tried to beg for cash with the "We are poor refugees" sign. Can't be that poor if you got moeny for a violin and a larage porpable blu tooth speaker. lol.

That scam is all over the US too.

Honestly, giving anyone money on the street is like leaving crumbs for ants. You just get more of it.

If you want to be generous, give through charities.

My wife's car hood has a dent in it from when she politely shook her head to an in-traffic panhandler who then went on a bender hitting cars.
This just triggered a distant memory in my brain for some reason. Way back in the early 80's, my parents were driving me downtown to go eat (as we often did). We drove eastbound on Bloor, and came to a stop at the traffic light at Symington. As we waited, some vagrant (or drunken lowlife) made the rather unfortunate decision while crossing the street to sit on our car's hood for whatever reason. Now my dad, who was driving our 1975 Oldsmobile Toronado, was not one to be messed with (being a WWII vet who saw plenty of combat, he feared nothing and no one), and he immediately flew into a rage over this disrespectful transgression. As soon as the light turned green, he floored it, and after about 20 meters or so, stomped on the brakes, promptly sending our uninvited guest flying to the pavement as punishment. As a little boy I was both utterly shocked but also thrilled by this spontaneous shotgun justice. I could picture it as a Charles Bronson scene in one of his Death Wish movies...

Then there was the time my dad took me to Humber Bay Shores park to wander about. There was a group of teens loitering on the rocks by the water and one of them starting mouthing off to him when he came near them. Oh boy. Within seconds he throttled that kid by the throat, and he was in his mid 70's by then. I wish I had inherited an ounce of his badassery, but regrettably I didn't. I think those genes skipped me and went straight to my son...

Last edited:

Back