News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 569     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 871     0 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

Because, while on a nice day they will prefer to be outside, on a not nice day people may not.

Really, I find this "you must get out and be a pedestrian" a really arrogant attitude, and a touch of politically correct tyrrany. We all agree we want pedestrian friendly neighbourhoods. That doesn't mean pedestrianism should be mandatory or force fed. It's not the same as demanding Six Points be built with enormous parking lots, forgoshsake.

I don't see people eschewing the downtown PATH in the interests of a pedestrian friendly downtown. They use it because they appreciate its convenience. They especially use it in bad weather. Six Points aspires to be a city center. Wouldn't it be sensible to build this in now? It has cost the downtown a fortune to retrofit PATH into buildings that didn't plan on it.

And, as someone who lives in a neighbourhood within walking distance of Six Points, I can tell you - many of my neighbours are getting ready to divest their homes for condo's. They are complaining that the condo's being built around the area are not senior-friendly. Build more senior friendly condo's, and a whole lot of housing stock will come available. We have a housing shortage. This is a reasonable part of the solution, along with good outdoor public spaces. Nobody is arguing with pedestrian friendly neighbourhoods. It's just a proactive thing to add to the plan.

- Paul
"Pedestrianism" is mandatory, that is unless you park you car in your bedroom and in your office at work. Do you drive through the aisles of the grocery store? Everyone is a pedestrian. Not everyone is a driver. Therefore the pedestrian realm should be the number one priority.

It would be proactive to build tunnels (call it a PATH, but it's tunnels maybe with retail), but also incredibly expensive, and not needed. Would it be a nice-to-have? I don't really think so. Building an elaborate underground network would inevitably pull funding from making the outdoor experience as great as it should be. Toronto is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. This is known to everyone who chooses to live here.

Construction by TTC tracks on south end of Six Points project. Any ideas what it is?

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Construction by TTC tracks on south end of Six Points project. Any ideas what it is?

I can't see your image - you may want to check your link or hosting - but if it's within the TTC ROW than it's the construction of a storage track immediately to the north of the platform tracks.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

^^^Thanks, I've never posted pictures before. I did it through my iphone, forwarded it my hotmail, then copy and paste to this forum. I don't understand why you can't see it. I can on my end. I'm not tech savy.

Edit: Toffy, can you see my picture. I want to post more pictures as I live next door to the construction site.

Thanks

Last edited:
I can't see your image - you may want to check your link or hosting - but if it's within the TTC ROW than it's the construction of a storage track immediately to the north of the platform tracks.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I don't think that's it - it's north of the fence, within the Westwood lands. I believe it's hydro vaults/sewer etc for the development. I've heard that the extra tracking for Kipling is to be past the west end of the station, towards Subway cres.

^^^Thanks, I've never posted pictures before. I did it through my iphone, forwarded it my hotmail, then copy and paste to this forum. I don't understand why you can't see it. I can on my end. I'm not tech savy.

Edit: Toffy, can you see my picture. I want to post more pictures as I live next door to the construction site.

Thanks
I live next to it too. Did you get notice about the TTC rehabing the bus ramps on St Albans? Work to commence July 17.

^^^Yes, it's posted in the elevator and information board. With the Dundas & Aukland, Six Points, and TTC bus ramps development the neighbourhood will be busy with multiple construction projects going on at the same time. I think it's great. My walks in the neighbourhood will be interesting and entertaining. I heard that they are reconfiguring the bus ramps (entry and exit) to accommodate the articulating double bus for the Kipling South run to Humber College. I've seen the bus doing test runs in the neighbourhood. They are getting ready.

^^^Yes, it's posted in the elevator and information board. With the Dundas & Aukland, Six Points, and TTC bus ramps development the neighbourhood will be busy with multiple construction projects going on at the same time. I think it's great. My walks in the neighbourhood will be interesting and entertaining. I heard that they are reconfiguring the bus ramps (entry and exit) to accommodate the articulating double bus for the Kipling South run to Humber College. I've seen the bus doing test runs in the neighbourhood. They are getting ready.
I dont think that rumor (if you could call it that) is true. That would involve reassigning the 44 and 188 to a different garage, and given the proximity of those two routes to the Queensway garage it would make no sense whatsoever to do that.

However, what I can say is that Kipling will be an absolute disaster from Bloor all the way to Lake Shore for the next 6 months at least. Not only is the entire bus bay at Kipling scheduled for major work, add the already commenced Six Point project, as well as major road resurfacing from Evans to Lake Shore and overall what you'll have is a nightmare of a commute.

^^^Hi Amare, you may be right that it will not happen as I can't reconfirm the information I received is correct, however, my source of information was from the last six points community meeting open house from a TTC representative. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I've heard that the extra tracking for Kipling is to be past the west end of the station, towards Subway cres.

You've heard incorrectly. The new track will be built in the trackway underneath the bus platforms, immediately to the north of the existing tracks. The existing tracks are not being extended westward.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thanks
save the photo to your phone, then click the "upload a file" button on urban Toronto beside the "post reply" button. Choose the photo, and then click the "full image" button once it is done uploading.

images need to be hosted online to be visible to others, you are currently just using Outlook which isn't sufficient. UrbanToronto has an easy upload service to load photos so all can see them.

Attachments

• tspa_0106322f.jpg
    tspa_0106322f.jpg
    784.2 KB · Views: 592

Back